Bush said "America is addicted to oil!"

Snooty Putz wrote:

> Those Freeper asswipes just regurgitate the SOS their god, W, spewed
> yesterday. They should all suffer near-death forty times over.

What did 'W' spew yesterday? Most thought his comments at Ms. King's
funeral were kind and fitting -- unlike those who rudely used it as an
opportunity to /truly/ spew.

Jimmy Carter, in particular, should know that it was Robert Kennedy, A.G. in
JFK's administration, who directed Hoover to wiretap MLK -- AND leak the
dirt to his wife. Now THAT was "illegal domestic spying" with panache!

The shame is that NO ONE is talking about Corretta Scott King's life and
travails today; just the mockery that was /supposed/ to be her Memorial.

Stay angry (not to mention inappropriate and classless) and keep losing
elections, Putz.

Bill "it's even affecting Canada now, eh?" S.

Sorni wrote:
> Snooty Putz wrote:
>
>> Those Freeper asswipes just regurgitate the SOS their god, W, spewed
>> yesterday. They should all suffer near-death forty times over.

> What did 'W' spew yesterday? Most thought his comments at Ms. King's
> funeral were kind and fitting -- unlike those who rudely used it as an
> opportunity to /truly/ spew.
>
> Jimmy Carter, in particular, should know that it was Robert Kennedy,
> A.G. in JFK's administration, who directed Hoover to wiretap MLK --
> AND leak the dirt to his wife. Now THAT was "illegal domestic
> spying" with panache!
> The shame is that NO ONE is talking about Corretta Scott King's life
> and travails today; just the mockery that was /supposed/ to be her
> Memorial.
> Stay angry (not to mention inappropriate and classless) and keep
> losing elections, Putz.
>
> Bill "it's even affecting Canada now, eh?" S.

Well, that Reverend guy was pretty mean to Mrs. Clinton, too! I mean, it
was SHE who said:

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that
Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons
stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also
given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaida
members."

Maybe Snoot meant 'H' spewed?!?

ROTFL

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

> just regurgitate the SOS their god, W, spewed
> yesterday.

Artist: The Screaming Blue Messiahs
Album: Bikini Red
Song: I Can Speak American

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 08:40:09 GMT, Freeper scum, "Sorni"
<[email protected]> diligently wrote this bit of irrelevance:
\whack
>Stay angry (not to mention inappropriate and classless) and keep losing
>elections, Putz.

"I invite you to re-read the thread, "

Suck it, *****. You post nothing worth reading even the first time.
--
zk

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The story I read was that the Pinto was rushed into production with (as
>>is often the case) the engineering taking a back seat to the style
>>envelope.

> Hard to imagine why it wasn't prettier then, huh? ;-)
>
>>The choice was made not to revise the design after internal
>>tests revealed the flaws. That decision apparently was made at the top.
>>Iaccoca ain't my hero, Nader is.

> Seems to me that neither of 'em exactly qualify for sainthood. One of
> them understated the danger to the detriment of some customers, and
> the other overstated the danger to the detriment of the US auto
> industry (which has cost all of us a lot over the years -

Sure, seat belts, fully padded dashboards, safe knobs, different shapes
for lights and wipers, collapsible steering columns, hazard lights, side
marker lights, impact resistant door latches, rollover protection, dual
master cylinders, shoulder harnesses, locking seat backs, anti-lock
brakes, air bags, etc.

And the $4 fix for the Corvair.

What a bum.

> imagine if
> lighter, more efficient vehicles would have caught on in Detroit 10
> years before they became "necessary").

When did they "become necessary"? I must have missed that.

As far as discouraging the use of small, light cars, the Pinto was a
much bigger factor. The car has been gone for 25 years and people still
make jokes about it.

Iaccoca and his Detroit brethren have directly caused the deaths and
maiming of thousands in the cynical pursuit of profit. Nader and the
groups he helped start have directly saved thousands of lives by
exposing these issues. There are lots of Iaccocas and damn few Naders,
that's a shame.

Bob wrote:

> Don't condescend, Frank. To say a statement is a non sequitor is to say
> that its component parts are unrelated to each other.

Sorry, that's simply wrong. The term "non sequitur" is much more
specific in meaning.

Non sequitur refers to a mistake in logic, where a person mistakenly
claims item B follows from (or is proven by) item A, when they're
really not connected. Or as I said earlier, "Non sequitur" refers to a
conclusion that isn't justified by the facts - i.e. an output that
doesn't follow from the inputs. It's more than just "not related."
It's "not related" when being cited as a proof or causative
relationship.

Try Wikipedia. If you do the search, the spelling is supposed to be
"non sequitur."

> You said that a
> particular poster cited facts and the obvious inference to be drawn
> from that is you believe that those alleged facts somehow had a bearing
> on the topic at hand. When I asked, "What facts?", you didn't answer me
> directly ...

Wrong again! I certainly did answer you! Here's the quote:

"At the _very_ least, when landotter told about his personal beliefs
and
behavior (eating meat, not belonging to PETA, etc) we can assume those
are factual. HIs statement that we didn't catch Bin Laden is a fact.
His statement that invading Afghanistan was a good idea is perhaps
debatable in the eyes of some, but I accept it as a fact. And even if
the "good idea" judgement somehow turned out to be wrong, it qualifies
as an explanation. "

I said he gave facts and explanations. Those are just a few that he
gave, and there were many more. Sorni and di gave none, IIRC.

And I think we're far enough off-topic that we can drop this now. I
imagine it's foolish to try to raise the level of debate on Usenet,
anyway.

- Frank Krygowski

Snooty Putz wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 08:40:09 GMT, "Sorni" wrote:

>> Stay angry (not to mention inappropriate and classless) and keep
>> losing elections, Putz.

> "I invite you to re-read the thread, "
>
> Suck it, *****. You post nothing worth reading even the first time.

And yet...

Keep showing your class, crasster.

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Those Freeper asswipes just regurgitate the SOS their god, W, spewed
> yesterday. They should all suffer near-death forty times over.

I'm reminded of a recent incident where the Pentagon was geeking on
reenlistment bonuses. Someone who posts on a technical board I frequent
had started a discussion thread on FreeRepublic. Now keep in mind, this
person is very *very* conservative.

Simply because he posted something that showed the Bush administration
in the tiniest amount of bad light, he was insta-banned permanently for
"left wing trolling". He was talking about his *personal* experience
with it because he was the person managing peoples reenlistment bonuses.
So he intimately and factually knew about what was going on.

It's not the first time I've seen and heard this kind of behaviour from
right-wing [1] gatherings. Of course, with left-wing gathering you
often end up with junk like 'consensus voting' and 'every opinion has
value'. [2]

[1] Notice I didn't use the term conservative. Most of these people
aren't conservatives. I'm not quite sure what to call them really.
[2] Nonsense, some people don't have the sense to come in out of the
rain and one should give their opinion the exact amount of weight
that can be assigned to a gill of fairy dust.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself -- and then a couple

.... We make rope.
-- Rob Gingell on Sun Microsystem's new virtual memory.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Seems to me that neither of 'em exactly qualify for sainthood. One of
> them understated the danger to the detriment of some customers, and
> the other overstated the danger to the detriment of the US auto
> industry (which has cost all of us a lot over the years - imagine if
> lighter, more efficient vehicles would have caught on in Detroit 10
> years before they became "necessary").

Pffft, nonsense. If Detroit had it's way we'd all be driving the exact same
cars as thirty years ago, except they'd have even *longer* tail fins.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little

In article <[email protected]>,
Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Pffft, nonsense. If Detroit had it's way we'd all be driving the exact same
> cars as thirty years ago, except they'd have even *longer* tail fins.

i had one of those. Made a lot of money driving it for Micheal Mann on
Chicago locations shoots for Crime Story. You can see me in the season 1
title sequences.

Deadly but beautiful, and you could have sex comfortably in the back seat,
not like a corolla.

..max
"action"

Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>> Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>The story I read was that the Pinto was rushed into production with (as
>>>is often the case) the engineering taking a back seat to the style
>>>envelope.

>> Hard to imagine why it wasn't prettier then, huh? ;-)
>>
>>>The choice was made not to revise the design after internal
>>>tests revealed the flaws. That decision apparently was made at the top.
>>>Iaccoca ain't my hero, Nader is.

>> Seems to me that neither of 'em exactly qualify for sainthood. One of
>> them understated the danger to the detriment of some customers, and
>> the other overstated the danger to the detriment of the US auto
>> industry (which has cost all of us a lot over the years -

>Sure, seat belts, fully padded dashboards, safe knobs, different shapes
>for lights and wipers, collapsible steering columns, hazard lights, side
>marker lights, impact resistant door latches, rollover protection, dual
>master cylinders, shoulder harnesses, locking seat backs, anti-lock
>brakes, air bags, etc.
>
>And the $4 fix for the Corvair.
>
>What a bum.

I have no argument that he did some things that were worthwhile - but
we've been talking about the Corvair. He didn't "fix it"... he killed
it.

>> imagine if
>> lighter, more efficient vehicles would have caught on in Detroit 10
>> years before they became "necessary").

>When did they "become necessary"? I must have missed that.

That would have been in the 70's. Are you young or were you stoned?
;-)

>As far as discouraging the use of small, light cars, the Pinto was a
>much bigger factor. The car has been gone for 25 years and people still
>make jokes about it.

Hey, the Pinto was a virtual Mercedes compared to the Vega. The only
reason no one still makes jokes about those is that the last one
either rotted away or stopped running about 20 years ago.

>Iaccoca and his Detroit brethren have directly caused the deaths and
>maiming of thousands in the cynical pursuit of profit. Nader and the
>groups he helped start have directly saved thousands of lives by
>exposing these issues. There are lots of Iaccocas and damn few Naders,
>that's a shame.

I don't think it's that simple. There's nothing the auto makers like
more than someone telling them they have to add $1000 to the cost of a
car, as long as everyone else does too. Higher price = more profit.
The automobile has had a very evolutionary design - you can't really
compare the current cars with those from the 60's and assume that they
were built with the same knowledge base.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

In article <[email protected]>,
Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:

> [1] Notice I didn't use the term conservative. Most of these people
> aren't conservatives. I'm not quite sure what to call them really.

Reactionaries?

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

> Bob wrote:
> >
> > Don't condescend, Frank. To say a statement is a non sequitor is to say
> > that its component parts are unrelated to each other.

> Sorry, that's simply wrong. The term "non sequitur" is much more
> specific in meaning.
>
> Non sequitur refers to a mistake in logic, where a person mistakenly
> claims item B follows from (or is proven by) item A, when they're
> really not connected.

You must be feeling especially professorial/didactic/pedantic this
evening so I'll be as concise as possible. The position of the OP was
essentially that G. W. Bush is a murderer, a moron, and a tool of the
rich. Among the "facts" you claim he cited were that he (the OP) is
pro-gun, lives in a Red State, eats meat, etc. Maybe you think his
position logically follows from those "facts" but I fail to see the
connection. Fair enough?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:14:17 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> [1] Notice I didn't use the term conservative. Most of these people
>> aren't conservatives. I'm not quite sure what to call them really.

>Reactionaries?

American Taliban.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:14:17 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >> [1] Notice I didn't use the term conservative. Most of these people
> >> aren't conservatives. I'm not quite sure what to call them really.

> >Reactionaries?
> >

> American Taliban.
> --
> zk

Left or Right doesn't matter since they both seem to want a
totalitarian society (with their's being the dominant view of course)
so I simply call *all* of them whackadoos.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob" <[email protected]> writes:
> Zoot Katz wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:14:17 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
>> wrote:

>> >Reactionaries?
>> >

>> American Taliban.
>> --
>> zk

> Left or Right doesn't matter since they both seem to want a
> totalitarian society (with their's being the dominant view of course)
> so I simply call *all* of them whackadoos.

Especially these guys:
http://www.militiaofmontana.com/

They're scarier than gun-control-supportin' lefties.

cheers,
Tom
--

Mark Hickey wrote:

> I don't think it's that simple. There's nothing the auto makers like
> more than someone telling them they have to add $1000 to the cost of a
> car, as long as everyone else does too. Higher price = more profit.

Iacocca personally lobbied against the
1970 Clean Air Act like a rabid animal.
He claimed it would kill the US auto
industry. Youll notice that carmakers
didn't end up having to comply with its
provisions until ten years after it was
passed.

Robert

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Sure, seat belts, fully padded dashboards, safe knobs, different shapes
>>for lights and wipers, collapsible steering columns, hazard lights, side
>>marker lights, impact resistant door latches, rollover protection, dual
>>master cylinders, shoulder harnesses, locking seat backs, anti-lock
>>brakes, air bags, etc.
>>
>>And the $4 fix for the Corvair.
>>
>>What a bum.

> I have no argument that he did some things that were worthwhile - but
> we've been talking about the Corvair. He didn't "fix it"... he killed
> it.

No, GM killed it by leaving out a $4 part and waiting 5 years to put it
back. Their "solution" to the Nader problem was to hire detectives to
dig up dirt on him. The head of GM was forced to publicly apologize
before congress and pay Nader damages. It's unbelievable that you
attempt to twist this story to make GM a victim of Nader. That's a
conservative wet dream.

>>>imagine if
>>>lighter, more efficient vehicles would have caught on in Detroit 10
>>>years before they became "necessary").

>>When did they "become necessary"? I must have missed that.

> That would have been in the 70's. Are you young or were you stoned?
> ;-)

No, but I was waiting in gas lines with everybody else. The 2 oil shocks
in the 70's were blips caused by the formation of OPEC. The same
motivation for efficient cars didn't hold through the 80's, 90's and the
current decade. Even if the Corvair was the prototype of some kind of
efficient car design (which it wasn't), it wouldn't have mattered.

>>As far as discouraging the use of small, light cars, the Pinto was a
>>much bigger factor. The car has been gone for 25 years and people still
>>make jokes about it.

> Hey, the Pinto was a virtual Mercedes compared to the Vega. The only
> reason no one still makes jokes about those is that the last one
> either rotted away or stopped running about 20 years ago.

You don't have to tell me, I owned a Vega. I sold it for a VW Rabbit.
Those 2 were the car Detroit should have made and the car it actually
did. US automakers just didn't want to invest in new technology, tooling
or facilities. But, back to the main point, the Pinto, like the Corvair,
was put into production with a major safety flaw -- strictly to save a
few $. That was Detroit's dirty little secret that Nader exposed in his
book.

>>Iaccoca and his Detroit brethren have directly caused the deaths and
>>maiming of thousands in the cynical pursuit of profit. Nader and the
>>groups he helped start have directly saved thousands of lives by
>>exposing these issues. There are lots of Iaccocas and damn few Naders,
>>that's a shame.

> I don't think it's that simple. There's nothing the auto makers like
> more than someone telling them they have to add $1000 to the cost of a
> car, as long as everyone else does too. Higher price = more profit.
> The automobile has had a very evolutionary design - you can't really
> compare the current cars with those from the 60's and assume that they
> were built with the same knowledge base.

That's an interesting theory, but it doesn't agree with reality. Car
makers have always fought *all* safety improvements -- that was what
Nader's book was about -- not specifically the Corvair. It's still going
on today, where Detroit interests and their congressional stooges are
fighting a change to roof-crush standards.

<http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=174&did=902>

"At a March 18 hearing, House Energy and Commerce Committee questioned
the need to update rule 216. Leading the charge was U.S. Rep. John
Dingell, D-Dearborn, the Big Three’s most influential defender in Congress."

"Dingell said he may support a new regulation if a public-safety need
was demonstrated — and it would not add significant costs to vehicles."

I suppose that means that even if need was demonstrated, it shouldn't be
fixed if costs were "significant".

Detroit is conservative, and conservatives hate change (by definition)
-- I don't know why. Reason would say that if all car makers were held
to the same standards (which they are) then there would be no
competitive bias. But, as so many pointed out at the time, when emission
standards started coming online in the 70's, Japan hired engineers,
Detroit hired lawyers and lobbyists. They like to make the rules --
*all* the rules -- stupid, but true.

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> [1] Notice I didn't use the term conservative. Most of these people
>> aren't conservatives. I'm not quite sure what to call them really.

> Reactionaries?

Probably a good label for most. There are quite a few that really don't
have any conviction other than MFFY. More like greedy weasels dressed up
in reactionaries clothing to make them more appealing to the masses. [1]

[1] And isn't that a frightening thought?

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"When people are free to do as they please, they usually

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:14:17 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> [1] Notice I didn't use the term conservative. Most of these people
>>> aren't conservatives. I'm not quite sure what to call them really.

>>Reactionaries?
>>

> American Taliban.

Not too bad I suppose. Though that would imply they hold some sort of
real moral conviction that lies behind their actions, which I don't
believe. I think it's more like, "More for me and mine and the devil
take the hindmost!"

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Software suppliers are trying to make their software packages more