Bush said "America is addicted to oil!"

Peter Cole wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >

> > It's not that the Corvair was a brilliant piece of
> > design. (It had some good features, many bad ones.) But the handling
> > problems had been more than corrected by the time Nader started
> > whining, and Nader's publicity stunt had the unintended consequence of
> > stifling almost all innovation from Detroit.

> Big claim.
>
> > (Not the last time that Nader's delusions of grandeur screwed things
> > up, of course. I think the guy is a disaster.)
> >
> > Re innovation: At the time Honda was producing the Civic (transverse
> > engine, able to meet pollution standards without a catalytic converter,
> > decent performance, excellent economy, excellent reliability, very
> > roomy for its size) Detroit was producing ... what? The Chevette?

> I worked for a company that made precision measurement (computerized)
> equipment for car engine manufacture in those days. Nobody gave a damn
> about emissions, economy or reliability.

?? I don't understand that statement. Clearly _someone_ did, because
the cars that offered those attributes suddenly took larger and larger
shares of the market. I know I cared, and I certainly wasn't alone.

> Detroit was caught flat-footed
> by the first oil-shocks in the mid-70's. Honda didn't take off as a
> brand until the 80's. There were plenty of econo-boxes around in the
> late 70's (Subaru, Datsun, VW, etc.)

> The US guys had no experience with
> 4-cylinder, small displacement engines, never mind FWD. Catch-up took a
> long time (actually they never did, the oil shocks abated, so they
> didn't have to).

Honda began taking off in the mid 1970s. I bought one in '78, partly
because I had several friends who had them and had excellent
experiences with them. I'm thinking the first got his in about 1974.

> It strikes me as a *really* big reach to lay all that on Nader and his
> one little book in 1965

He wasn't the sole cause of it all, but I believe the Corvair debacle
convinced GM to never again try anything so original.

> > Gee, thanks, Ralph. And I hope your "airbag" idea doesn't take my
> > kid's head off in the name of "safety."

> Nader invented airbags?

Nader was one of the major influences in pushing airbags. It was his
thesis that they were absolutely necessary, since it was obvious (to
him) that the public could never be convinced to wear seat belts.
"Nader's Raiders" campaigned endlessly to make airbags law. (Well,
actually, "passive restraints.")

Of course, he was wrong about Americans never using seatbelts, too.
Unfortunately, I think one of the reasons some people wear seat belts
is because we now know the explosive "safety device" in the dash can
just about decapitate you if you don't wear the seatbelt! (If you
don't believe me, read the warnings in your car's owner's manual.

> Keep your kid in the back, they'll be fine.

That doesn't strike you as ironic? - that we've equipped all our cars
with a "safety device" that's so dangerous, we must keep kids five feet
away? (BTW, it's also a "safety device" that first-response rescuers
fear. They don't want it going off when they try to drag someone from
a burning car, etc.)

Personally, I think the situation is ludicrous. As is Nader.

- Frank Krygowski

Gooserider wrote:
> "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:zcqFf.7871$%[email protected]...
>
>>gooserider wrote:
>>

>>>Power has very little to do with fuel economy. Weight does. There are
>>>plenty of 4 cylinder cars with BLISTERING performance and a lot of power
>>>that get good gas mileage. Subaru WRX, Dodge Neon SRT-4, Mitsubishi EVO,
>>>Toyota Celica, Honda Accord V6, Nissan Maxima, etc. Too many vehicles are
>>>too BIG.

>>That BLISTERING performance means they are way overpowered.
>>

> If they get good mileage what does it matter? Cars with low horsepower are
> not fun to drive, and can be unsafe.

It really depends on driving style, if you like to press the gas and be
pinned-to-the-back-of-your-seat then yes, a low hp vehicle will not be
fun to drive, however if your a slow but steady driver, and don't care
whether you 0-60 time is 3 seconds or 3 minutes, then fun isn't an issue.

As for safety, frankly there are not that many situations that truly
need high acceleration, that can't be resolved other ways.

landotter wrote:

> You really can't own an intellect or a shred of moral righteousness

if
> you support this administration.

and then continued on to write:

> Disagree with the president and you're not reasoned with,
> no, like all of his followers you're incapable of reason--as you're not
> part of our elite "reality based community"--you're insulted, distorted
> and Swift-boated.

Ironic, no?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> n5hsr wrote:
>> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>How many rear-engined cars do you see on the road today? The only other
>>>rear-engined car that was made in large numbers was the beetle --
>>>another truly awful design that was obsolete long before it became
>>>popular. The idea that a more popular Corvair could have helped the US
>>>auto business is absurd.

>> If I were you, I'd double check the cars at Indy before I opened my mouth
>> and stuck my foot in like that.
>>
>> Charles of Schaumburg

> Those are mid-engine cars, which is a different design. The corvair was a
> rear-engine, air-cooled car like the beetle and early Porsche models.

But show me ONE indy car that has FWD and an engine in the front. There
aren't any. If FWD is so superior, then why not?

I ought to know the Corvair was rear-engined. I took my driver's test on a
'62 Corvair 700 Coupe that my dad owned at the time.

The point that I think is being made here is after Nader's book, Detroit
basically stopped innovating at all. Their next compact car was the
Sh!tvette. In the mean time, the Japs started catching up with the Germans.
My first Jap car was the car Dad bought just after I took my drivers test in
'74 and it was used. My mom was pleasantly shocked at how much better it
was done up than the Corvair we had just replaced.

Charles of Schaumburg

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Mark Hickey wrote:

>>> Yes, it's more complex than that, but the US auto universe would be a
>>> lot better today had the Corvair not been demonized. IMHO of course.

>>:) I know "me too" responses are considered bad form. But when I
>>agree this thoroughly with Mark, I think I've got a moral obligation to
>>say so!
>>
>>Good post, Mark.

> Dang. Any of you planning a vacation in hell should pack ice skates!
> ;-)
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

At this rate, the Cubs are for sure going to win the World Series next year.
.. . . And I promised I would get married if hell ever froze over.

Charles of Schaumburg.

> n5hsr wrote:
>
>> Why do you think I'm trying to figure out a bicycle to ride the 3
>> miles to work . . . .

> What's to figure out? For three miles, it almost doesn't matter WHAT you
> ride.
>
> Bill "really" S.

Does to me. I still own a Schwinn Suburban, but I can no longer swing my
leg properly over the bar because of an injury to my hip 3 years ago. And I
don't have all the money in the world, so I'm looking for a good used
Schwinn either mixte or girls frame and nothing fancy, either. Remember
this is going to be just slogging along. No racing. Just get me and my 20
lbs of computer gear there and back.

Charles of Schaumburg

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gooserider wrote:
>> "Violet Tigress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> > ********
>> > How many suburbans will ever actually do what they wer designed to do?

>> Very few, but for people who need them there is no substitute.

> I doubt that. It sounds too much like "But Mommy, I _NEED_ an MP3
> player!!!!!"
>
> Somehow, people survived - even prospered - Before Suburbans.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

I've actually known a couple people who actually needed Suburbans. I had a
cousin that was in the Auto Parts business, and a friend that towed a very
long trailer and needed the 454 to do it. But very few people actually do.

In many ways in the NW burbs it's become a status symbol like a BMW or a
Mercedes, and will probably never be truly needed for what it can do, just
merely a sign of conspicuous consumption.

Charles of Schaumburg

Bob wrote:
> landotter wrote:
>
>> You really can't own an intellect or a shred of moral righteousness
>> if you support this administration.

> and then continued on to write:
>
>> Disagree with the president and you're not reasoned with,
>> no, like all of his followers you're incapable of reason--as you're
>> not part of our elite "reality based community"--you're insulted,
>> distorted and Swift-boated.

> Ironic, no?

Yes. Thanks for noticing.

n5hsr wrote:
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> n5hsr wrote:
>>
>>> Why do you think I'm trying to figure out a bicycle to ride the 3
>>> miles to work . . . .

>> What's to figure out? For three miles, it almost doesn't matter
>> WHAT you ride.
>>
>> Bill "really" S.
>>

> Does to me. I still own a Schwinn Suburban, but I can no longer
> swing my leg properly over the bar because of an injury to my hip 3
> years ago. And I don't have all the money in the world, so I'm
> looking for a good used Schwinn either mixte or girls frame and
> nothing fancy, either. Remember this is going to be just slogging
> along. No racing. Just get me and my 20 lbs of computer gear there
> and back.

Ah. Sorry, hadn't seen the part about your hip situation. Hope you find
something you can mount without too much difficulty (smart-ass comments sure
to follow?), as I'm sure the daily "slog" will be therapeutic (and hopefully
fun!) for you. Good luck.

Bill S.

Sorni wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > Sorni wrote:
> >
> >> I saw this post...then scrolled down...and down ("he's STILL
> >> ranting")...all from a baby seal comment!

> > It wasn't a baby seal comment, it was an insinuation that persons whom
> > oppose the Chimperor are all out of touch uber-liberals.

> ********. Bush proposed some decent energy policy programs, and rather than
> attack them you attcked him

[drivelsnip]

He deserves the electric chair, not attacking, as he's a murderer, so
in a sense you're right.

But in the case of the energy proposals, if you actually read/watched
the news, as your ilk are not want to do, you'll see that he slashed
funding for alternative energy research two days after he
spoke--specifically cutting funding for biomass--the exact science he
so enthusiastically endorsed during his SOTU address.

He's a liar, you don't need get his back.

You can be a conservative or a card carrying member of the GOP,
whatever, but if you decide to defend this criminal, then you are an
accomplice--you are a traitor as well, and we know what the punishment
for that is.

If you voted for him in good conscience, I guess that's
forgivable--though any sane Texan is aware that he ran the state into
the ground, gutting education to the point that it may be a decade
before the system recovers. He failed in oil, failed in
baseball--didn't fail in the military--he just deserted, 'cause he
didn't care any more.

He's an alcoholic, an addict--somebody that shouldn't be trusted with a
letter opener. Nothing wrong with that, full recovery is a choice--but
I don't want the leader of the free world white-knucklin' it.

So you want to defend and perhaps identify with a total and complete
failure of a man? That's OK, but if you see GWB in your own reflection,
I recommend treatment, not Usenet.

Sorni wrote:
> Bob wrote:
> > landotter wrote:
> >
> >> You really can't own an intellect or a shred of moral righteousness
> >> if you support this administration.

> > and then continued on to write:
> >
> >> Disagree with the president and you're not reasoned with,
> >> no, like all of his followers you're incapable of reason--as you're
> >> not part of our elite "reality based community"--you're insulted,
> >> distorted and Swift-boated.

> > Ironic, no?

> Yes. Thanks for noticing.

Your understanding of the word ironic is about as accurate as Alanis
Morrissette's.

landotter wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>> landotter wrote:

>>> It wasn't a baby seal comment, it was an insinuation that persons
>>> whom oppose the Chimperor are all out of touch uber-liberals.

>> ********. Bush proposed some decent energy policy programs, and
>> rather than attack them you attcked him

> [drivelsnip]
>
> He deserves the electric chair, not attacking, as he's a murderer, so
> in a sense you're right.
>
> But in the case of the energy proposals, if you actually read/watched
> the news, as your ilk are not want to do, you'll see that he slashed
> funding for alternative energy research two days after he
> spoke--specifically cutting funding for biomass--the exact science he
> so enthusiastically endorsed during his SOTU address.
>
> He's a liar, you don't need get his back.
>
> You can be a conservative or a card carrying member of the GOP,
> whatever, but if you decide to defend this criminal, then you are an
> accomplice--you are a traitor as well, and we know what the punishment
> for that is.
>
> If you voted for him in good conscience, I guess that's
> forgivable--though any sane Texan is aware that he ran the state into
> the ground, gutting education to the point that it may be a decade
> before the system recovers. He failed in oil, failed in
> baseball--didn't fail in the military--he just deserted, 'cause he
> didn't care any more.
>
> He's an alcoholic, an addict--somebody that shouldn't be trusted with
> a letter opener. Nothing wrong with that, full recovery is a
> choice--but I don't want the leader of the free world white-knucklin'
> it.
>
> So you want to defend and perhaps identify with a total and complete
> failure of a man? That's OK, but if you see GWB in your own
> reflection, I recommend treatment, not Usenet.

You're sounding more "moderate" all the time! LOL

landotter wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>> Bob wrote:

>>> and then continued on to write:

>>> Ironic, no?

>> Yes. Thanks for noticing.

> Your understanding of the word ironic is about as accurate as Alanis
> Morrissette's.

You have a point. Your comments are more hypocritical than ironic. (Bob,
please note. LOL)

Bill "/ironic/ that /you/ should make this distinction, eh?" S.

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:JovFf.8345$%[email protected]...
> Gooserider wrote:
>
>> If they get good mileage what does it matter? Cars with low horsepower
>> are not fun to drive, and can be unsafe.

> Slow is cool.
>
> Low hp is unsafe? That's a real hoot. I've owned high hp and low hp
> vehicles, and low hp is not unsafe.
>
> Wayne

Tell me that when you're trying to pass someone.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gooserider wrote:
>> "Violet Tigress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> > ********
>> > How many suburbans will ever actually do what they wer designed to do?

>> Very few, but for people who need them there is no substitute.

> I doubt that. It sounds too much like "But Mommy, I _NEED_ an MP3
> player!!!!!"
>
> Somehow, people survived - even prospered - Before Suburbans.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Suburbans have been around for a LONG time, Frank. They just used to be the
domain of the rancher and the work crew. People who legitimately NEED a
Suburban cannot do without it.

[email protected] wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:

>>I worked for a company that made precision measurement (computerized)
>>equipment for car engine manufacture in those days. Nobody gave a damn
>>about emissions, economy or reliability.

> ?? I don't understand that statement. Clearly _someone_ did, because
> the cars that offered those attributes suddenly took larger and larger
> shares of the market. I know I cared, and I certainly wasn't alone.

I meant nobody in Detroit. Japanese and European car manufacturers had
been making smaller, lighter and more fuel-efficient cars for decades --
they happened to be in the right place at the right time when the
OPEC-driven oil shocks hit.

> He wasn't the sole cause of it all, but I believe the Corvair debacle
> convinced GM to never again try anything so original.

An air cooled, rear engine car was hardly an original idea. It was
different from anything Detroit had produced in the past, and their
inexperience showed. It was really a set of bad ideas, many borrowed,
and anything Nader did to kill it was probably a good thing for Detroit.

> Nader was one of the major influences in pushing airbags. It was his
> thesis that they were absolutely necessary, since it was obvious (to
> him) that the public could never be convinced to wear seat belts.
> "Nader's Raiders" campaigned endlessly to make airbags law. (Well,
> actually, "passive restraints.")
>
> Of course, he was wrong about Americans never using seatbelts, too.
> Unfortunately, I think one of the reasons some people wear seat belts
> is because we now know the explosive "safety device" in the dash can
> just about decapitate you if you don't wear the seatbelt! (If you
> don't believe me, read the warnings in your car's owner's manual.
>

>> Keep your kid in the back, they'll be fine.

> That doesn't strike you as ironic? - that we've equipped all our cars
> with a "safety device" that's so dangerous, we must keep kids five feet
> away? (BTW, it's also a "safety device" that first-response rescuers
> fear. They don't want it going off when they try to drag someone from
> a burning car, etc.)
>
> Personally, I think the situation is ludicrous. As is Nader.

I have very few heroes and Nader is one of them. I'm also very much in
favor of air bags, I don't find the counter-arguments rational.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>But in the case of the energy proposals, if you actually read/watched
>the news, as your ilk are not want to do, you'll see that he slashed
>funding for alternative energy research two days after he
>spoke--specifically cutting funding for biomass--the exact science he
>so enthusiastically endorsed during his SOTU address.

Wanna explain to us all how the POTUS "slashes funding" for a program?
Last time I checked, that wasn't in his job description, unless he
does so via his veto power (which he obviously hasn't). Perhaps you
have him confused with the hundreds of congrescritters crawling around
DC?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Mark Hickey wrote:
>>
>>>Mike Latondresse <mikelat@no_spam_shaw.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>>Yes, it's more complex than that, but the US auto universe would be a
>>>lot better today had the Corvair not been demonized. IMHO of course.

>> :) I know "me too" responses are considered bad form. But when I
>> agree this thoroughly with Mark, I think I've got a moral obligation to
>> say so!
>>
>> Good post, Mark.

>How many rear-engined cars do you see on the road today? The only other
>rear-engined car that was made in large numbers was the beetle --
>another truly awful design that was obsolete long before it became
>popular.

Seems to me that Porsche did pretty well with the concept. The bottom
line is, the Corvair was the one - singular - car that showed any real
innovation during that period.

> The idea that a more popular Corvair could have helped the US
>auto business is absurd.

The Corvair itself isn't what would have done it - it would have been
only the first step (like the Beetle was for VW and Porsche). Think
what the next generation of Corvair might have been - and what the
other automakers might have come out with to compete against it.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

n5hsr wrote:
> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>If I were you, I'd double check the cars at Indy before I opened my mouth
>>>and stuck my foot in like that.

>>Those are mid-engine cars, which is a different design. The corvair was a
>>rear-engine, air-cooled car like the beetle and early Porsche models.

> But show me ONE indy car that has FWD and an engine in the front. There
> aren't any. If FWD is so superior, then why not?

Superior for what? Mid-engine cars are generally better for open wheel
racing, something that has been widely recognized for at least 50 years.
It has everything to do with weight distribution.

Both FWD and rear engine create more space for passengers and cargo for
the simple reason that they eliminate the driveshaft/differential/axle
assembly. This makes for more compact and lightweight designs for a
given carrying volume.

Front heavy cars tend to understeer, while rear heavy cars oversteer.
Oversteer is generally the more difficult characteristic to control, and
the more foreign one to drivers accustomed to understeering cars.

> The point that I think is being made here is after Nader's book, Detroit
> basically stopped innovating at all.

Correlation does not prove causality. In any case, Detroit didn't "stop"
innovating in the 60's, they hadn't done much innovation in the
preceding decades. The US auto industry was/is very conservative --
conservative institutions (or individuals) don't handle change well (by
definition).

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

>>How many rear-engined cars do you see on the road today? The only other
>>rear-engined car that was made in large numbers was the beetle --
>>another truly awful design that was obsolete long before it became
>>popular.

> Seems to me that Porsche did pretty well with the concept. The bottom
> line is, the Corvair was the one - singular - car that showed any real
> innovation during that period.
>

>>The idea that a more popular Corvair could have helped the US
>>auto business is absurd.

> The Corvair itself isn't what would have done it - it would have been
> only the first step (like the Beetle was for VW and Porsche). Think
> what the next generation of Corvair might have been - and what the
> other automakers might have come out with to compete against it.

Following the VW/Porsche model (air-cooled, rear engine) with more cars
after the Corvair would have only taken the US car makers further down
the wrong path. History has shown that the winning formula is
water-cooled FWD, at least with current materials and specs. VW
abandoned both rear engine and air-cooling a very long time ago, and
Porsche finally got rid of air-cooling, but still clings to rear engine
in its 911 derivatives, but that's about it.

You can (obviously) make rear engine work, but it has a host of
drawbacks, which is why it hasn't been mainstream ever, and has been
steadily fading even among the diehards. One of the most severe
drawbacks is the handling quirks it introduces, something the Corvair
was justly criticized for.