Bush's falls while riding his Mtn Bike

John Michaels

Guest
Apparently he got some road rash but picked himself up and completed the
ride. Kerry fell earlier this month.

Bush Suffers Cuts, Bruises While Biking

By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer

CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush (news - web sites) suffered cuts and
bruises early Saturday afternoon when he fell while mountain biking on
his ranch, White House spokesman Trent Duffy said.

Bush was on the 16th mile of a 17-mile ride when he fell, Duffy said. He
was riding with a military aide, members of the Secret Service and his
personal physician, Dr. Richard Tubb.

"He had minor abrasions and scratches on his chin, upper lip, nose,
right hand and both knees," Duffy said. "Dr. Tubb, who was with him,
cleaned his scratches, said he was fine. The Secret Service (news - web
sites) offered to drive him back to the house. He declined and finished
his ride."

Bush was wearing his bike helmet and a mouth guard when the mishap
occurred. Duffy said he didn't know exactly how the accident happened.

"It's been raining a lot and the topsoil is loose," the spokesman said.
"You know this president. He likes to go all out. Suffice it to say he
wasn't whistling show tunes."

Duffy said Bush probably would be wearing a bandage on his chin during a
party Saturday night for his daughter, Jenna, who graduated from the
University of Texas earlier in the day. Bush left Crawford shortly after
the bike mishap for the party in Austin.

Earlier this month, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news -
web sites) took a spill from his bicycle while riding with Secret
Service agents through Concord, N.H., about 18 miles north of Boston.
Kerry fell when his bike hit a patch of sand. He was not injured.

"John Michaels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Apparently he got some road rash but picked himself up and completed the
> ride. Kerry fell earlier this month.
>
> Bush Suffers Cuts, Bruises While Biking
>

> By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
>
> CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush (news - web sites) suffered cuts and
> bruises early Saturday afternoon when he fell while mountain biking on
> his ranch, White House spokesman Trent Duffy said.
>
> Bush was on the 16th mile of a 17-mile ride when he fell, Duffy said. He
> was riding with a military aide, members of the Secret Service and his
> personal physician, Dr. Richard Tubb.
>

> "He had minor abrasions and scratches on his chin, upper lip, nose,
> right hand and both knees," Duffy said. "Dr. Tubb, who was with him,
> cleaned his scratches, said he was fine. The Secret Service (news - web
> sites) offered to drive him back to the house. He declined and finished
> his ride."
>

> Bush was wearing his bike helmet and a mouth guard when the mishap
> occurred. Duffy said he didn't know exactly how the accident happened.
>

> "It's been raining a lot and the topsoil is loose," the spokesman said.
> "You know this president. He likes to go all out. Suffice it to say he
> wasn't whistling show tunes."
>

> Duffy said Bush probably would be wearing a bandage on his chin during a
> party Saturday night for his daughter, Jenna, who graduated from the
> University of Texas earlier in the day. Bush left Crawford shortly after
> the bike mishap for the party in Austin.
>

> Earlier this month, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news -
> web sites) took a spill from his bicycle while riding with Secret
> Service agents through Concord, N.H., about 18 miles north of Boston.
> Kerry fell when his bike hit a patch of sand. He was not injured.

Road rash? Where does it say he fell on the road? Loose topsoil indicates an
off road ride I would think.

Marty

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Road rash? Where does it say he fell on the road? Loose topsoil indicates

an
> off road ride I would think.
>
> Marty

Maybe they should have written "loose topsoil" rash? DTW

On 2004-05-23, John Michaels penned:

> Bush Suffers Cuts, Bruises While Biking
>

> By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer

[snip]

> "It's been raining a lot and the topsoil is loose," the spokesman
> said. "You know this president. He likes to go all out. Suffice it to
> say he wasn't whistling show tunes."

Ummmm ... it's been raining a lot. And the topsoil is loose. And he's
.... riding? Is it just my imagination, or aren't we supposed to keep
our bikes off of trails with rain-induced loose topsoil?

Something tells me he didn't bother to read any trail etiquette
guidelines before riding. What a surprise.

--
monique

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> Ummmm ... it's been raining a lot. And the topsoil is loose. And
> he's ... riding? Is it just my imagination, or aren't we supposed to
> keep our bikes off of trails with rain-induced loose topsoil?

Likely not an issue in Texas?

> Something tells me he didn't bother to read any trail etiquette
> guidelines before riding. What a surprise.

Well, it WAS on his own land, so...

Bill "probably not his biggest problem these days, anyway" S.

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-05-23, John Michaels penned:
>
>>Bush Suffers Cuts, Bruises While Biking
>>

>>By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
>>

> [snip]
>

>>"It's been raining a lot and the topsoil is loose," the spokesman
>>said. "You know this president. He likes to go all out. Suffice it to
>>say he wasn't whistling show tunes."

> Ummmm ... it's been raining a lot. And the topsoil is loose. And he's
> ... riding? Is it just my imagination, or aren't we supposed to keep
> our bikes off of trails with rain-induced loose topsoil?
>
> Something tells me he didn't bother to read any trail etiquette
> guidelines before riding. What a surprise.

Now you know Mikie will have to write Bush a letter telling him what an
environmental disaster he is.

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-05-23, John Michaels penned:
>
>>Bush Suffers Cuts, Bruises While Biking
>>

>>By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
>>

> [snip]
>
> Ummmm ... it's been raining a lot. And the topsoil is loose. And he's
> ... riding? Is it just my imagination,

You forgot the part: "while mountain biking on his ranch"
Public trails are one thing but riding on your own private property is
entirely a different matter, IMO.

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > Road rash? Where does it say he fell on the road? Loose topsoil

indicates
> an
> > off road ride I would think.
> >
> > Marty
> >

> Maybe they should have written "loose topsoil" rash? DTW

How about just the way it was written? Road rash is a roadie-ism. I don't
say
"I got road rash" when I get scraped.

"Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-05-23, John Michaels penned:
> >
> > Bush Suffers Cuts, Bruises While Biking
> >

> > By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
> >

> [snip]
>
> > "It's been raining a lot and the topsoil is loose," the spokesman
> > said. "You know this president. He likes to go all out. Suffice it to
> > say he wasn't whistling show tunes."

> Ummmm ... it's been raining a lot. And the topsoil is loose. And he's
> ... riding? Is it just my imagination, or aren't we supposed to keep
> our bikes off of trails with rain-induced loose topsoil?
>
> Something tells me he didn't bother to read any trail etiquette
> guidelines before riding. What a surprise.
>
> --
> monique

So now a bike ride turns into an implication that he's too stupid to read
the guidlines and in another (not yours Monique) post he's riding on muddy
trails so he's an environmental disaster. Everything is a wag. Nobody said
the trails were muddy.

You people crack me up.

On 2004-05-23, S o r n i penned:

> Well, it WAS on his own land, so...

Ah. I missed that detail.

--
monique

On 2004-05-23, JG penned:

> You forgot the part: "while mountain biking on his ranch" Public
> trails are one thing but riding on your own private property is
> entirely a different matter, IMO.

Indeed. Eating crow now.

--
monique

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 2004-05-23, John Michaels penned:
> > >
> > > Bush Suffers Cuts, Bruises While Biking
> > >

> > > By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
> > >

> > [snip]
> >
> > > "It's been raining a lot and the topsoil is loose," the spokesman
> > > said. "You know this president. He likes to go all out. Suffice it to
> > > say he wasn't whistling show tunes."

> > Ummmm ... it's been raining a lot. And the topsoil is loose. And he's
> > ... riding? Is it just my imagination, or aren't we supposed to keep
> > our bikes off of trails with rain-induced loose topsoil?
> >
> > Something tells me he didn't bother to read any trail etiquette
> > guidelines before riding. What a surprise.
> >
> > --
> > monique

> So now a bike ride turns into an implication that he's too stupid to read
> the guidlines and in another (not yours Monique) post he's riding on muddy
> trails so he's an environmental disaster. Everything is a wag. Nobody

said
> the trails were muddy.
>
> You people crack me up.

I've fallen on a mountain bike, but AP did not pick up the story. The trails
were dry, however.

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-05-23, S o r n i penned:
>>
>> Well, it WAS on his own land, so...

> Ah. I missed that detail.

well it was a 17 mile ride on his 1600 acre ranch (googling for the ranch
size).

either he did some loops, or went outside.

"John Michaels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Apparently he got some road rash but picked himself up and completed the
> ride. Kerry fell earlier this month.
>
> Bush Suffers Cuts, Bruises While Biking
>

> By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
>
> CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush (news - web sites) suffered cuts and
> bruises early Saturday afternoon when he fell while mountain biking on
> his ranch, White House spokesman Trent Duffy said.
>
> Bush was on the 16th mile of a 17-mile ride when he fell, Duffy said. He
> was riding with a military aide, members of the Secret Service and his
> personal physician, Dr. Richard Tubb.
>

> "He had minor abrasions and scratches on his chin, upper lip, nose,
> right hand and both knees," Duffy said. "Dr. Tubb, who was with him,
> cleaned his scratches, said he was fine. The Secret Service (news - web
> sites) offered to drive him back to the house. He declined and finished
> his ride."
>

> Bush was wearing his bike helmet and a mouth guard when the mishap
> occurred. Duffy said he didn't know exactly how the accident happened.
>

> "It's been raining a lot and the topsoil is loose," the spokesman said.
> "You know this president. He likes to go all out. Suffice it to say he
> wasn't whistling show tunes."
>

> Duffy said Bush probably would be wearing a bandage on his chin during a
> party Saturday night for his daughter, Jenna, who graduated from the
> University of Texas earlier in the day. Bush left Crawford shortly after
> the bike mishap for the party in Austin.
>

> Earlier this month, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news -
> web sites) took a spill from his bicycle while riding with Secret
> Service agents through Concord, N.H., about 18 miles north of Boston.
> Kerry fell when his bike hit a patch of sand. He was not injured.

Actually John McCain was hiding in the bushes and did a drop in and cut him
off.

sittingduck wrote:

> Matt Drudge is reporting that presumptive Democratic nominee John
> Kerry, who crashed his $8,000 bike earlier this month, told reporters
> in front of cameras, 'Did the training wheels fall off?' According to
> Drudge, reporters are now debating whether to treat the alleged
> comment as on or off the record

i just did some googles on this. some stories report a $5000 bicycle, then
a $7000 bicycle, and now a $8000 bicycle. is mr. kerry upgrading or is
there some journalistic inflation going on here?

(not that i think anyone here is shocked by high bicycle prices.)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On my Proflex 856,front tire is a Kenda Kwick and lose
> gravel or dirt taken at slow speed she slides out and I GO DOWN TOO.

Sand, and gravel will slap one down quick, if they are unprepared for it.

socks wrote:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>
>>On 2004-05-23, S o r n i penned:
>>
>>>Well, it WAS on his own land, so...

>>Ah. I missed that detail.

> well it was a 17 mile ride on his 1600 acre ranch (googling for the ranch
> size).
>
> either he did some loops, or went outside.

Depending on the terrain a 17 mile trail on 1600 acres would be trivial.
I've done a 6 mile trail on 1/10 the property.

Greg