Business Travel and Training

Hector5950

Aug 6, 2003
Any advice on maintaining a training program when you spend 2.5 weeks a month on the road and most hotels have maybe a broken lifecycle in their "gyms"? Due to my hours and travel locations, going off-site isn't real practical.

Yeah - train real hard on the bike in the 1.5 weeks you're at home and use the business trips for rest and other training, like lifting weights, swimming (if there is a pool) or even jogging.

If you travel by car you could put your race bike and a home trainer in the boot (trunk?) and set it up in the hotel. You'd probably need one of the quieter models....

the only other solution would be to get another job....

Hector5950 said:
Any advice on maintaining a training program when you spend 2.5 weeks a month on the road and most hotels have maybe a broken lifecycle in their "gyms"? Due to my hours and travel locations, going off-site isn't real practical.
I was and sometimes get into the same boat for stretches. One, always check out the local Y. They usually have first class equipment or a spin class and it is a few bucks to work out. I always call beforehand, get directions, and am ready to go. The same is true with the large gym chains (Golds, Bally's, etc). If you call beforehand, they will usually leave a pass for you and frequently have class schedules on line so you can plan your "business meeting.". If you are truly stuck in the middle of nowhere, with a crappy hotel "gym," I usually make use of their dumbells, and jog from the hotel. I always ask where the local HS is to get access to their track. If in a major metro area you visit frequently, contact a good LBS, explain your situation and see if they can accomodate you with a loaner or rental, I usually bring my own shoes and pedals. Finally, sometimes it is a matter of just spending the extra $$ on a better hotel. I call and ask the hotel what kind of equipment it has and whether all of it is functional. Fortunately, I can choose where to stay (within reason) but I have upgraded to good hotels for this reason. If it is a big company where I am visiting, I will ask the client if there is a corporate gym or if one of his business colleagues that can sneak me into his gym. Some guys will go all out, and I have gotten calls

I also plan workcations. In other words, I will schedule a day early or later specifically to ride or work out.

Thanks kopride, that was more helpful than changing careers. I do stay at "business-class" hotels but as you are aware, the quality and functionality of the gear there is often questionable. The Y idea is something I hadn't considered.

The other challenge for me is motivation. After a 14 hour day in the field, a work-out is often pretty low on my priority list (below eating) but that's something I ahve to deal with.

Thanks.

Have you tried corporate housing? If you travel to the same locations a lot it might make sense to have a small apartment. You can store a bike there.

Hec -

that was my last job, 2 out of 3 years on the road, yet I managed to become the strongest rider in the club!

I converted to intervals training at home (spinervals DVDs and a high quality resistance trainer - 1Up kept my works rolling no mater the weather), and when weather permitted I rode most rides very hard. On my away weeks or months where gym equipment, bikes, etc were unavailible or whatever, I ran, and did a full range of push-ups and abs to keep the other parts of the body from lapsing.

good luck!

HR

Hector5950 said:
are there any chain gyms around where you are? over by me if i've got a pass to 24 hour fitness and LA fitness than i'm covered most anywhere on the west coast. at the gym i find the stepmill can give a very high intensity workout, and it's non-impact. nothing else compares in the gym as far as being able to thrash myself aerobically.

joemw said:
are there any chain gyms around where you are? over by me if i've got a pass to 24 hour fitness and LA fitness than i'm covered most anywhere on the west coast. at the gym i find the stepmill can give a very high intensity workout, and it's non-impact. nothing else compares in the gym as far as being able to thrash myself aerobically.
most gyms will work with you on a daily or weekly rate, ask you company if they'll be willing to pay the expense for the gym. that way you get good equipment, at a low cost to youself. most companies actually DO realize the sacrifices made for a traveling job. and its worth a couple hundred bucks a year for them to ensure that you are satisfied and happy with your job, especially if its a sales position.

The Y will usually honor an out of town membership. Even some of the smaller gyms have reciprocal arrangements with other out of town gyms. As a kid, I worked out at a local gym where all the Pro wrestlers worked out at while visiting the area. Pumping iron with "Superstar" Billy Graham, "Polish Power" Ivan Putski, "Super Fly" Jimmy Snuka, all the greats, was one of the highlights of my mispent youth. Those guys could lift serious weights. Some of the guys never even worked out, just held court to their admiring fans. The Strongbow brothers were funny as hell, and the Iron Shiek was hilarious even though I never saw them actually pick up a weight. Supposedly, the guys on the wrestling circuit had a gym in every town where they could work out and this was long before the hey day of the WWF/WWE.

I have never paid more than fifteen bucks to get a work out in out of town, and it is usually well worth the price for sanity. Sometimes a bike rental can be 30-40 bucks. But a spin class is usually a lot easier to swing.

Hector5950 said:
Thanks kopride, that was more helpful than changing careers. I do stay at "business-class" hotels but as you are aware, the quality and functionality of the gear there is often questionable. The Y idea is something I hadn't considered.

The other challenge for me is motivation. After a 14 hour day in the field, a work-out is often pretty low on my priority list (below eating) but that's something I ahve to deal with.

Thanks.
But I balance the longer work day against not having my family responsibilities out of town. By the time the kids are in bed, homework checked, I have put in the same time. Out of town, I have only myself to take care of. Motivation is always hard, but if you schedule it beforehand, then you will make it happen. Good luck. Living on the road is tough. Hard on marriages, family, and workouts, if you let it be. But road trips are also a good time to escape the distractions of home, and you can get a good workout in, if you plan.