BUSTED - shin stress fracture

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Scott Williams, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and this
    morning, my right shin was quite sore.

    So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.

    I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.

    On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    shin splints. That should be interesting.

    So now, I go into rehab hibernation.

    Ciao.

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Scott Williams wrote:

    > On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    > clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    > shin splints. That should be interesting.

    That's a bummer about your shins, but having a PT doing a gait analysis and perhaps some other
    standard analyses could turn out to be very helpful in the long term - both in terms of identifying
    issues as well as getting exercises to remedy them. Good luck.

    Dot

  3. Dot wrote:

    > Scott Williams wrote:
    >

    >> On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    >> clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    >> shin splints. That should be interesting.
    >

    > That's a bummer about your shins, but having a PT doing a gait analysis and perhaps some other
    > standard analyses could turn out to be very helpful in the long term - both in terms of
    > identifying issues as well as getting exercises to remedy them. Good luck.
    >
    > Dot

    Thanks, Dot.

    Yeah, my doc mentioned that, in her experience, it's a problem very much related to high arches,
    which I have in spades.

    I'll report on what all they do up there and what info they pass along.

    Scott

  4. Robert Karp

    Robert Karp Guest

    Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
    >this morning, my right shin was quite sore.
    >
    >So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    >stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.
    >
    >I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    >riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.
    >
    >On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    >clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    >shin splints. That should be interesting.
    >
    >So now, I go into rehab hibernation.
    >
    >Ciao.
    >
    >Scott

    From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
    right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7 weeks.
    But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.

    Robert

  5. Robert Karp wrote:

    > Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
    >>this morning, my right shin was quite sore.
    >>
    >>So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    >>stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.
    >>
    >>I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    >>riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.
    >>
    >>On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    >>clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    >>shin splints. That should be interesting.
    >>
    >>So now, I go into rehab hibernation.
    >>
    >>Ciao.
    >>
    >>Scott
    >

    > From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
    > right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7 weeks.
    > But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.
    >
    > Robert

    Youch. That's awful. My doc wouldn't give me a definite healing time -- she said there was a
    tremendous amount of variability. (Mine is a third of the way down the tibia on the medial side.)

    So, was all well and good after that episode, or are splints something you still must deal with
    occasionally?

    Scott

  6. Glenn Tanner

    Glenn Tanner Guest

    Scott Williams wrote:

    > Robert Karp wrote:
    >
    >> Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
    >>> this morning, my right shin was quite sore.
    >>>
    >>> So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    >>> stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.
    >>>
    >>> I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    >>> riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.
    >>>
    >>> On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    >>> clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these
    >>> chronic shin splints. That should be interesting.
    >>>
    >>> So now, I go into rehab hibernation.
    >>>
    >>> Ciao.
    >>>
    >>> Scott
    >>

    >> From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
    >> right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7
    >> weeks. But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.
    >>
    >> Robert
    >

    > Youch. That's awful. My doc wouldn't give me a definite healing time -- she said there was a
    > tremendous amount of variability. (Mine is a third of the way down the tibia on the medial side.)
    >
    > So, was all well and good after that episode, or are splints something you still must deal with
    > occasionally?

    I've had stress fracture problems for years, and I think I've finally learned to deal with them. I
    do lots of running on dirt paths and avoid concrete at all possible. I do hills or bleachers instead
    of sprints for speed workouts. I use an exercise bike or elliptical trainer 1-2 days a week instead
    of running. And most importantly, I put myself on the shelf for a week or so if I feel ANY
    discomfort in my shin.

    But somehow, I keep getting faster every year.

  7. Tom Wheeler

    Tom Wheeler Guest

    wow a whole week and 2 thank I took this shit for years. mild stroke on left side.I jest can't re
    memb when happen. been so long now with out a job. smokes beer and strest, YAH everything my f ing
    fault. sorry,,,, going to store soon for butter forRICE......... Lowtuc. oh yes go to Hell
    Michigan insane terane. 1 week, gee no wonder this nws guy who I still hate who got t be at every
    talk game on
    t.v. con grads Detroit Piston.. doing great... must be a Ba ston way of do Tom to get back to 1st
    place.Coach still not a cent from anyone in espn or billion buck buzz. here. Thanks mom for
    rice...... I quit work. I would quit to.. I am have ing a hard time relate ing to gays in the
    first church of amer e can diplot mat ic. leadership. news doc thing on nbc here. shit I at
    least x spect davy crock it would. welll sorry I said shit and crock...... Get f ing real you
    losers..... Oh yes all his is bruught to you by. Mobil, tele, unbrellys, and bugger king. Not
    re spon 4 things said or re flect any and al rr and real world non Leaders. WTF...... must has
    some thing to do with left side mild stroke. e noft. you went to war, you kick ass, its over.
    shit were my ba nan a dac er rey. leaders my asss. oh yes wer was I... one week. shit.

  8. ahass

    ahass Guest

    Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
    > this morning, my right shin was quite sore.

    > So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    > stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.

    > I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    > riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.

    > On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    > clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    > shin splints. That should be interesting.

    > So now, I go into rehab hibernation.

    > Ciao.

    > Scott

    Good luck healing Scott...don't screw around with a stress fracture. MAKE SURE it is healed before
    you resume running. Cross train the hell out of yourself if you want, but stress fractures can
    linger a long time if they aren't completely gone. Andy Hass

  9. [email protected] wrote:

    > Good luck healing Scott...don't screw around with a stress fracture. MAKE SURE it is healed before
    > you resume running. Cross train the hell out of yourself if you want, but stress fractures can
    > linger a long time if they aren't completely gone. Andy Hass

    Thanks, Andy. I'm taking out my frustrations on my bicycle, riding the rollers near AT for an hour
    every morning before work. I sure as hell don't want to balloon up so I can pound my shins harder
    next time around.

    Consider the advice taken. I've had my fill of running on a stress fracture. Dexter-A2 is already
    down the clapper -- I'm not running it again without training properly, so I'm in no hurry.
    Impatience got me where I am today ...

    Have you heard anything good or bad about the running clinic at MedSport?

    Scott

  10. Glenn Tanner wrote:
    > Scott Williams wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Karp wrote:

    >>> From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
    >>> right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7
    >>> weeks. But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.
    >>>
    >>> Robert
    >>

    >> Youch. That's awful. My doc wouldn't give me a definite healing time -- she said there was a
    >> tremendous amount of variability. (Mine is a third of the way down the tibia on the medial side.)
    >>
    >> So, was all well and good after that episode, or are splints something you still must deal with
    >> occasionally?
    >

    > I've had stress fracture problems for years, and I think I've finally learned to deal with them. I
    > do lots of running on dirt paths and avoid concrete at all possible. I do hills or bleachers
    > instead of sprints for speed workouts. I use an exercise bike or elliptical trainer 1-2 days a
    > week instead of running. And most importantly, I put myself on the shelf for a week or so if I
    > feel ANY discomfort in my shin.
    >
    > But somehow, I keep getting faster every year.

    I've been encountering my shin trouble pretty much when I quit combining cycling with my running and
    tried to ramp up my running mileage. I may well follow a similar program to yours. I might need that
    extra bit of recovery.

    Thanks for the input.

    Scott

  11. ahass

    ahass Guest

    Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >>

    >> Good luck healing Scott...don't screw around with a stress fracture. MAKE SURE it is healed
    >> before you resume running. Cross train the hell out of yourself if you want, but stress fractures
    >> can linger a long time if they aren't completely gone. Andy Hass

    > Thanks, Andy. I'm taking out my frustrations on my bicycle, riding the rollers near AT for an hour
    > every morning before work. I sure as hell don't want to balloon up so I can pound my shins harder
    > next time around.

    > Consider the advice taken. I've had my fill of running on a stress fracture. Dexter-A2 is already
    > down the clapper -- I'm not running it again without training properly, so I'm in no hurry.
    > Impatience got me where I am today ...

    > Have you heard anything good or bad about the running clinic at MedSport?

    > Scott

    --I'm not sure. The Umich team might use some of the people there, the key is knowing exactly who is
    good and who is bad. That I can't help you with, I haven't needed them yet (knock on wood). Maybe
    ask around the AA track club or something for who is good? Andy Hass