BUSTED - shin stress fracture



S

Scott Williams

Guest
Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and this
morning, my right shin was quite sore.

So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.

I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.

On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
shin splints. That should be interesting.

So now, I go into rehab hibernation.

Ciao.

Scott
 
D

Dot

Guest
Scott Williams wrote:
>
> On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
> clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
> shin splints. That should be interesting.

That's a bummer about your shins, but having a PT doing a gait analysis and perhaps some other
standard analyses could turn out to be very helpful in the long term - both in terms of identifying
issues as well as getting exercises to remedy them. Good luck.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope
 
S

Scott Williams

Guest
Dot wrote:

> Scott Williams wrote:
>
>>
>> On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
>> clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
>> shin splints. That should be interesting.
>
>
> That's a bummer about your shins, but having a PT doing a gait analysis and perhaps some other
> standard analyses could turn out to be very helpful in the long term - both in terms of
> identifying issues as well as getting exercises to remedy them. Good luck.
>
> Dot
>

Thanks, Dot.

Yeah, my doc mentioned that, in her experience, it's a problem very much related to high arches,
which I have in spades.

I'll report on what all they do up there and what info they pass along.

Scott
 
R

Robert Karp

Guest
Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
>this morning, my right shin was quite sore.
>
>So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
>stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.
>
>I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
>riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.
>
>On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
>clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
>shin splints. That should be interesting.
>
>So now, I go into rehab hibernation.
>
>Ciao.
>
>Scott

From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7 weeks.
But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.

Robert
 
S

Scott Williams

Guest
Robert Karp wrote:

> Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
>>this morning, my right shin was quite sore.
>>
>>So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
>>stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.
>>
>>I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
>>riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.
>>
>>On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
>>clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
>>shin splints. That should be interesting.
>>
>>So now, I go into rehab hibernation.
>>
>>Ciao.
>>
>>Scott
>
>
> From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
> right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7 weeks.
> But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.
>
> Robert

Youch. That's awful. My doc wouldn't give me a definite healing time -- she said there was a
tremendous amount of variability. (Mine is a third of the way down the tibia on the medial side.)

So, was all well and good after that episode, or are splints something you still must deal with
occasionally?

Scott
 
G

Glenn Tanner

Guest
Scott Williams wrote:

> Robert Karp wrote:
>
>> Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
>>> this morning, my right shin was quite sore.
>>>
>>> So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
>>> stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.
>>>
>>> I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
>>> riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.
>>>
>>> On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
>>> clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these
>>> chronic shin splints. That should be interesting.
>>>
>>> So now, I go into rehab hibernation.
>>>
>>> Ciao.
>>>
>>> Scott
>>
>>
>>
>> From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
>> right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7
>> weeks. But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.
>>
>> Robert
>
>
> Youch. That's awful. My doc wouldn't give me a definite healing time -- she said there was a
> tremendous amount of variability. (Mine is a third of the way down the tibia on the medial side.)
>
> So, was all well and good after that episode, or are splints something you still must deal with
> occasionally?

I've had stress fracture problems for years, and I think I've finally learned to deal with them. I
do lots of running on dirt paths and avoid concrete at all possible. I do hills or bleachers instead
of sprints for speed workouts. I use an exercise bike or elliptical trainer 1-2 days a week instead
of running. And most importantly, I put myself on the shelf for a week or so if I feel ANY
discomfort in my shin.

But somehow, I keep getting faster every year.
 
T

Tom Wheeler

Guest
wow a whole week and 2 thank I took this **** for years. mild stroke on left side.I jest can't re
memb when happen. been so long now with out a job. smokes beer and strest, YAH everything my f ing
fault. sorry,,,, going to store soon for butter forRICE......... Lowtuc. oh yes go to Hell
Michigan insane terane. 1 week, gee no wonder this nws guy who I still hate who got t be at every
talk game on
t.v. con grads Detroit Piston.. doing great... must be a Ba ston way of do Tom to get back to 1st
place.Coach still not a cent from anyone in espn or billion buck buzz. here. Thanks mom for
rice...... I quit work. I would quit to.. I am have ing a hard time relate ing to gays in the
first church of amer e can diplot mat ic. leadership. news doc thing on nbc here. **** I at
least x spect davy crock it would. welll sorry I said **** and crock...... Get f ing real you
losers..... Oh yes all his is bruught to you by. Mobil, tele, unbrellys, and bugger king. Not
re spon 4 things said or re flect any and al rr and real world non Leaders. WTF...... must has
some thing to do with left side mild stroke. e noft. you went to war, you kick ass, its over.
**** were my ba nan a dac er rey. leaders my asss. oh yes wer was I... one week. ****.
 
A

ahass

Guest
Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
> this morning, my right shin was quite sore.

> So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
> stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.

> I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
> riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.

> On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
> clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
> shin splints. That should be interesting.

> So now, I go into rehab hibernation.

> Ciao.

> Scott

Good luck healing Scott...don't screw around with a stress fracture. MAKE SURE it is healed before
you resume running. Cross train the hell out of yourself if you want, but stress fractures can
linger a long time if they aren't completely gone. Andy Hass
 
S

Scott Williams

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
>
>
> Good luck healing Scott...don't screw around with a stress fracture. MAKE SURE it is healed before
> you resume running. Cross train the hell out of yourself if you want, but stress fractures can
> linger a long time if they aren't completely gone. Andy Hass

Thanks, Andy. I'm taking out my frustrations on my bicycle, riding the rollers near AT for an hour
every morning before work. I sure as hell don't want to balloon up so I can pound my shins harder
next time around.

Consider the advice taken. I've had my fill of running on a stress fracture. Dexter-A2 is already
down the clapper -- I'm not running it again without training properly, so I'm in no hurry.
Impatience got me where I am today ...

Have you heard anything good or bad about the running clinic at MedSport?

Scott
 
S

Scott Williams

Guest
Glenn Tanner wrote:
> Scott Williams wrote:
>
>> Robert Karp wrote:
>>
>>> Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
>>>> this morning, my right shin was quite sore.
>>>>
>>>> So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
>>>> stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.
>>>>
>>>> I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
>>>> riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.
>>>>
>>>> On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the
>>>> running clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about
>>>> these chronic shin splints. That should be interesting.
>>>>
>>>> So now, I go into rehab hibernation.
>>>>
>>>> Ciao.
>>>>
>>>> Scott
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
>>> right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7
>>> weeks. But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.
>>>
>>> Robert
>>
>>
>>
>> Youch. That's awful. My doc wouldn't give me a definite healing time -- she said there was a
>> tremendous amount of variability. (Mine is a third of the way down the tibia on the medial side.)
>>
>> So, was all well and good after that episode, or are splints something you still must deal with
>> occasionally?
>
>
>
> I've had stress fracture problems for years, and I think I've finally learned to deal with them. I
> do lots of running on dirt paths and avoid concrete at all possible. I do hills or bleachers
> instead of sprints for speed workouts. I use an exercise bike or elliptical trainer 1-2 days a
> week instead of running. And most importantly, I put myself on the shelf for a week or so if I
> feel ANY discomfort in my shin.
>
> But somehow, I keep getting faster every year.

I've been encountering my shin trouble pretty much when I quit combining cycling with my running and
tried to ramp up my running mileage. I may well follow a similar program to yours. I might need that
extra bit of recovery.

Thanks for the input.

Scott
 
A

ahass

Guest
Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>
>> Good luck healing Scott...don't screw around with a stress fracture. MAKE SURE it is healed
>> before you resume running. Cross train the hell out of yourself if you want, but stress fractures
>> can linger a long time if they aren't completely gone. Andy Hass

> Thanks, Andy. I'm taking out my frustrations on my bicycle, riding the rollers near AT for an hour
> every morning before work. I sure as hell don't want to balloon up so I can pound my shins harder
> next time around.

> Consider the advice taken. I've had my fill of running on a stress fracture. Dexter-A2 is already
> down the clapper -- I'm not running it again without training properly, so I'm in no hurry.
> Impatience got me where I am today ...

> Have you heard anything good or bad about the running clinic at MedSport?

> Scott

--I'm not sure. The Umich team might use some of the people there, the key is knowing exactly who is
good and who is bad. That I can't help you with, I haven't needed them yet (knock on wood). Maybe
ask around the AA track club or something for who is good? Andy Hass