But did you spot THIS Breaking Away "blooper?"

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Paul Kossa, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Paul Kossa

    Paul Kossa Guest

    No, I'm not refering to going 50 mph in the small chainring
    . . . many people know about that. (That may be attributed
    to a film editor with little cycling knowledge.) I found an
    "error" -- which I suspect is actually an "insider joke' of
    sorts rather than a blooper, per se -- that I doubt many
    know of since it lasts all of 2 or 3 FRAMES, and you'll need
    to pause the tape or DVD at just the right instant to see
    it. (Iapologize if this was mentioned in that HUGE 25th
    aniversery thread, but I don't have time to go
    through stuff that long!)

    The scene is when David gets the mail, when he finds out the
    Italians are coming. If you pause just as he starts to open
    the magazine, you'll see it is a "Sports Illustrated." Based
    on the photo on the cover and the headlines, including
    "Challenging the Clock: A Report on Time Trialing," and
    "Clothes for Cycling," as well as the few pages visible
    while he flips through it, it appears to be an all-cycling
    issue . . . a huge "blooper" in and of itself! But the
    kicker is the other headline: "Eddy Merckx Rebounds In '78!"
    [At least that's what it looks like on my not-so-high-
    resolution VHS tape.] (According to an old Velonews article,
    Merckx only rode 5 races that year and didn't win any.) I
    know the film was released in '79, so I guess it was filmed
    in '78. And I thought I read it was filmed in Aug., before
    classes started, so I would think they already knew of
    Merckx status. Therefore the "insider joke" theory. Anyone
    know more on that?

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "Paul Kossa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No, I'm not refering to going 50 mph in the small
    > chainring . . . many people know about that. (That may be
    > attributed to a film editor with little cycling
    > knowledge.) I found an "error" -- which I suspect is
    > actually an "insider joke' of sorts rather than a blooper,
    > per se -- that I doubt many know of since it lasts all of
    > 2 or 3 FRAMES, and you'll need to pause the tape or DVD at
    > just the right instant to see
    > it. (Iapologize if this was mentioned in that HUGE 25th
    > aniversery thread, but I don't have time to go
    > through stuff that long!)
    >
    > The scene is when David gets the mail, when he finds out
    > the Italians are coming. If you pause just as he starts to
    > open the magazine, you'll see it is a "Sports
    > Illustrated." Based on the photo on the cover and the
    > headlines, including "Challenging the Clock: A Report on
    > Time Trialing," and "Clothes for Cycling," as well as the
    > few pages visible while he flips through it, it appears to
    > be an all-cycling issue . . . a huge "blooper" in and of
    > itself! But the kicker is the other headline: "Eddy Merckx
    > Rebounds In '78!" [At least that's what it looks like on
    > my not-so-high-resolution VHS tape.] (According to an old
    > Velonews article, Merckx only rode 5 races that year and
    > didn't win any.) I know the film was released in '79, so I
    > guess it was filmed in '78. And I thought I read it was
    > filmed in Aug., before classes started, so I would think
    > they already knew of Merckx status. Therefore the "insider
    > joke" theory. Anyone know more on that?

    I can tell you that it WASN'T filmed in August. Classes were
    in session during the filming. Those are real students all
    over the campus and in the cafeteria and in the stands at
    the Little 500. I was one of 'em!

    Bob C. (dating myself ... wait, that sounds really weird)