But did you spot THIS Breaking Away "blooper?"

Paul Kossa

Guest
No, I'm not refering to going 50 mph in the small chainring
. . . many people know about that. (That may be attributed
to a film editor with little cycling knowledge.) I found an
"error" -- which I suspect is actually an "insider joke' of
sorts rather than a blooper, per se -- that I doubt many
know of since it lasts all of 2 or 3 FRAMES, and you'll need
to pause the tape or DVD at just the right instant to see
it. (Iapologize if this was mentioned in that HUGE 25th
aniversery thread, but I don't have time to go
through stuff that long!)

The scene is when David gets the mail, when he finds out the
Italians are coming. If you pause just as he starts to open
the magazine, you'll see it is a "Sports Illustrated." Based
on the photo on the cover and the headlines, including
"Challenging the Clock: A Report on Time Trialing," and
"Clothes for Cycling," as well as the few pages visible
while he flips through it, it appears to be an all-cycling
issue . . . a huge "blooper" in and of itself! But the
kicker is the other headline: "Eddy Merckx Rebounds In '78!"
[At least that's what it looks like on my not-so-high-
resolution VHS tape.] (According to an old Velonews article,
Merckx only rode 5 races that year and didn't win any.) I
know the film was released in '79, so I guess it was filmed
in '78. And I thought I read it was filmed in Aug., before
classes started, so I would think they already knew of
Merckx status. Therefore the "insider joke" theory. Anyone
know more on that?

"Paul Kossa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No, I'm not refering to going 50 mph in the small
> chainring . . . many people know about that. (That may be
> attributed to a film editor with little cycling
> knowledge.) I found an "error" -- which I suspect is
> actually an "insider joke' of sorts rather than a blooper,
> per se -- that I doubt many know of since it lasts all of
> 2 or 3 FRAMES, and you'll need to pause the tape or DVD at
> just the right instant to see
> it. (Iapologize if this was mentioned in that HUGE 25th
> aniversery thread, but I don't have time to go
> through stuff that long!)
>
> The scene is when David gets the mail, when he finds out
> the Italians are coming. If you pause just as he starts to
> open the magazine, you'll see it is a "Sports
> Illustrated." Based on the photo on the cover and the
> headlines, including "Challenging the Clock: A Report on
> Time Trialing," and "Clothes for Cycling," as well as the
> few pages visible while he flips through it, it appears to
> be an all-cycling issue . . . a huge "blooper" in and of
> itself! But the kicker is the other headline: "Eddy Merckx
> Rebounds In '78!" [At least that's what it looks like on
> my not-so-high-resolution VHS tape.] (According to an old
> Velonews article, Merckx only rode 5 races that year and
> didn't win any.) I know the film was released in '79, so I
> guess it was filmed in '78. And I thought I read it was
> filmed in Aug., before classes started, so I would think
> they already knew of Merckx status. Therefore the "insider
> joke" theory. Anyone know more on that?

I can tell you that it WASN'T filmed in August. Classes were
in session during the filming. Those are real students all
over the campus and in the cafeteria and in the stands at
the Little 500. I was one of 'em!

Bob C. (dating myself ... wait, that sounds really weird)