But, in a way, Wysong is right

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Martha Gallagher, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Sorry, I just like provocative subject lines.

    But what I mean is that when I started low-carbing, I could eat pretty
    good sized portions of fatty meats, add quite a bit of cheese to my salad,
    etc. while still losing weight.

    Once I got down to the point that my body doesn't like to go below, then I
    found I needed to shift my eating somewhat (YMMV). I found I could eat
    more, and carbier foods than when I was starting, but that I needed to
    limit the amount of protein and fat.

    I don't think that Atkins lied to me, cause 1. I was never his patient and
    2. I could still eat enough protein and fat that I continue to feel
    satisfied after a meal (which is all Atkins ever promised, not that you
    could stuff yourself silly). But, for me at least, I've found I have the
    best results by shifting the percentages so that I'm getting rather more
    carbs than in the beginning. I still find that my meals can be a sumptous
    as I have any desire for them to be, because a moderate portion of ribeye
    and a heaping salad drenched w/ balsamic vinaigrette still seems like a
    fine dinner to me. But, it's true that, for me, I can no longer eat as
    much steak as I'd like and expect the pounds to stay off.

    Of course, all the above means is that I've rediscovered the fact that
    maintenance eating isn't *supposed* to be exactly the same as induction.

    My next astonishing discovery is that I probably do eat about 2lbs or less
    of food a day. But, that only works 'cause I make good food choices - and
    lettuce doesn't weigh very much.

    Martha

    --
    Sig pending

    Tags:

  2. Ada Ma

    Ada Ma Guest

    I don't quite get what Wysong has said. I think I had tried to summarise what
    she said but because of the volume of posts she's posted, I don't think I can
    ever quite do that. Since I don't know what Wysong has actually said, and I
    don't know what you think she said is right, I think I'll just respond to what
    you have said in your post and talk about my experience.

    It's the same case for me - I can eat quite a bit of carbs and not put on weight
    after the first half year of LCing. But I can't lose any either when I'm eating
    too much carbs. More than 50g a day and that's it, no losing. I also agree
    with you that I can't eat a lot of protein without putting on weight. For a few
    months I was gaining weight very very very slowly (like 0.25lb per month) eating
    lots of protein and moderate amount of carb - but I know I was eating too much
    in terms of calories. I was eating 2400 kcals a day. It was lucky that I
    escaped without turning back into the human balloon that I once was - mind you,
    I'm still a half balloon. What I discovered was that I can eat loads of protein
    and still keep on eating it and nothing in my body will ring a bell and tell me
    to stop. I have to tell myself to stop. The "stop eating too much" warning
    system kicks in, however, when I eat leafy vegetables with protein. I have so
    far worked out a very short list of veg which gives me a good satiated feeling -
    romaine lettuce, broccoli. (Part of it is the very bouncy lettuce leaves tend
    to escape under my fork and chasing leaves around on a plate gets a bit boring
    after a while. :) ) Things like cooked cauliflower doesn't work too well in
    getting me to lose weight although it helps to ward it off. YMMV, the list of
    veg that work for you might be shorter or longer, I dunno.

    So may be for me it only works if I eat lots of extremely low carb veg (like
    less than 2g per 100g) with my protein, otherwise I'll still end up eating too
    much protein (thus calories) for losing unless I pay attention and measure
    everything that I eat. I guess in a way this is my OWL level.

    Talking about it in this post gets me thinking about what works for me, and as I
    write my reply to your post the bits of info that has been swooshing around in
    my head gets a tad more organised. So loads of thanks to Martha for posting.

    Cheers,
    Ada

    Martha Gallagher wrote:

    > Sorry, I just like provocative subject lines.
    >
    > But what I mean is that when I started low-carbing, I could eat pretty
    > good sized portions of fatty meats, add quite a bit of cheese to my salad,
    > etc. while still losing weight.
    >
    > Once I got down to the point that my body doesn't like to go below, then I
    > found I needed to shift my eating somewhat (YMMV). I found I could eat
    > more, and carbier foods than when I was starting, but that I needed to
    > limit the amount of protein and fat.
    >
    > I don't think that Atkins lied to me, cause 1. I was never his patient and
    > 2. I could still eat enough protein and fat that I continue to feel
    > satisfied after a meal (which is all Atkins ever promised, not that you
    > could stuff yourself silly). But, for me at least, I've found I have the
    > best results by shifting the percentages so that I'm getting rather more
    > carbs than in the beginning. I still find that my meals can be a sumptous
    > as I have any desire for them to be, because a moderate portion of ribeye
    > and a heaping salad drenched w/ balsamic vinaigrette still seems like a
    > fine dinner to me. But, it's true that, for me, I can no longer eat as
    > much steak as I'd like and expect the pounds to stay off.
    >
    > Of course, all the above means is that I've rediscovered the fact that
    > maintenance eating isn't *supposed* to be exactly the same as induction.
    >
    > My next astonishing discovery is that I probably do eat about 2lbs or less
    > of food a day. But, that only works 'cause I make good food choices - and
    > lettuce doesn't weigh very much.
    >
    > Martha

  3. Wysong *~

    Wysong *~ Guest

    "Martha Gallagher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Sorry, I just like provocative subject lines.
    >
    > But what I mean is that when I started low-carbing, I could eat pretty
    > good sized portions of fatty meats, add quite a bit of cheese to my salad,
    > etc. while still losing weight.

    ## That's how it worked for me as well, for those 5 months. I was seldom
    hungry.

    > Once I got down to the point that my body doesn't like to go below, then I
    > found I needed to shift my eating somewhat (YMMV). I found I could eat
    > more, and carbier foods than when I was starting, but that I needed to
    > limit the amount of protein and fat.

    ## The only thing working now is LOW calorie as well as LOW-Carb. :*( Not
    as low-carb as before, but a lot less carbs than I consumed before the
    weight problem started several years ago.
    --
    Wysong
    Age 60. Height 5'6"

  4. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    How is it that you're eating all this protein and no fat?

    Ada Ma <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >> more carbs than in the beginning. I still find that my meals can be
    >> a sumptous
    >> as I have any desire for them to be, because a moderate portion of
    >> ribeye
    >> and a heaping salad drenched w/ balsamic vinaigrette still seems
    >> like a
    >> fine dinner to me. But, it's true that, for me, I can no longer eat
    >> as
    >> much steak as I'd like and expect the pounds to stay off.
    >>
    >> Of course, all the above means is that I've rediscovered the fact
    >> that maintenance eating isn't *supposed* to be exactly the same as
    >> induction.
    >>
    >> My next astonishing discovery is that I probably do eat about 2lbs
    >> or less
    >> of food a day. But, that only works 'cause I make good food choices

  5. Ada Ma

    Ada Ma Guest

    well, there was actually loads of fat in the meat I ate!

    but the fat didn't stop me eating. well, may be it did, because otherwise I'd
    had put on weight much much quicker. i think romaine lettuce is my answer.

    :)

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > How is it that you're eating all this protein and no fat?

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Ada Ma wrote:
    :: well, there was actually loads of fat in the meat I ate!
    ::
    :: but the fat didn't stop me eating. well, may be it did, because
    :: otherwise I'd had put on weight much much quicker. i think romaine
    :: lettuce is my answer.
    ::
    :: :)

    You may be eating more fat than portein!

    ::
    ::
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::: How is it that you're eating all this protein and no fat?

  7. Ada Ma

    Ada Ma Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:

    > Ada Ma wrote:
    > :: well, there was actually loads of fat in the meat I ate!
    > ::
    > :: but the fat didn't stop me eating. well, may be it did, because
    > :: otherwise I'd had put on weight much much quicker. i think romaine
    > :: lettuce is my answer.
    > ::
    > :: :)
    >
    > You may be eating more fat than portein!

    oh god, was I too generous with the olive oil??? now I'm back to the drawing
    board...