But then I can't swim 1500 metres either <G>

OldNickToo

Jan 25, 2006
:eek: I just watched a tape of the Cwlth Games MTB race.

I am somewhat humbled...and that was the _women_. :D

I went out and punished myself this morning . Rode my usual track twice!

OK Nick, time to make a change. We are trying to for a daytime, 9:00am or 10:00am, over 50s training squad at Bayswater Waves. Have two so far, can we put you down? You will get that 1500 next summer and some over 50s tri training too.

Thanks for the offer.

I will think about it. I don't mix well. :( Seriously. Gave it up years ago.:eek:

Also, there are over 50s and over 50s. I am still not happy enoiugh with either my stamina or my skills to "go on display". I am working on that.

My 1500 metres _might_ happen as side-stroke....or just a stroke! <G>

gclark8 said:
All ok then, so you won't be needing this: http://www.uwatriathlonclub.com/offroad.htm

Did you get down to Gfd Cycles? He speaks the language and takes US$$ too. :D
Hah! Triathlonclub run by 18 year old students....yeah right.... <G>...at this stage I cycle for fun, until I am tired, and then _watch_ other people "overcoming the pain barrier" for enjoyment as well <G>. I do overcome the pain barrier from time to time, but it's when I choose to press myself, so far.;)

We (I and my wife) actually ride quite technical rides. They are as tough as the stuff thrown at the Cwlth Games folk. Seriously. Downhill, switchbacks, rocky bits, logs... But there is no way we do 20-40Km if them at a "sitting"...more like in a week <G>! I could have done one circuit of the games route then sat and watched the rest (and the big rockface was a bit more than I have tried yet, although I have stuff that would rival it, but Hey!...one of _them_ broke their collarbone on it!)...and I would have averaged just a _leeettle_ below their speeds...like half....well except maybe the Kenyans, poor sods.....

I do have to say that watching the games, they had some serious long relatively smooth fast bits, where they were obviously in high gear and just rolling on nice packed dirt. There are not many of those for us. Even where we have nice runs, they are either skittery gravel or damned rough and bumpy. It's hard to get the average up.

I have actually _rung_ Glfd Cycles twice. I am going to check out a a bike carrier (boot type). I agree he's a good bloke. He was warning me against using them on cheaper cars, because of thin metal and buckling at 110KPH. Nobody else has said that. I rang him about tubes, as I have larger tyres than stock, and he talked himself out of a sale! <G>. However, I have the "honourableness" to admire that, and will keep chasing the "honest guy". I admit he is the sort of LBS that may make you support the LBS, rather than finally admitting that the LBS could not give a damn and chasing the Web dollar.

Back to your post. Maybe we need to go Private Message on this to avoid cluttering the MB. What do you propose for these Training Squads? As I say, I am an unsociable SOB, but I am interested in exactly what the idea is. Who is doing what to whom and all that....I think the "Squad" bit worries me..... <G>

Hi Nick,

Not so much the club, but the off road tri up your way, the bike leg may be your thing.

On the swim squads, we get a coach, lane hire, pool entry cheaper as a group. I will PM you when I have something organised for daytime (9-10). I am trying out at Claremont today, but want to train at Bayswater.

gclark8 said:
Hi Nick,

Not so much the club, but the off road tri up your way, the bike leg may be your thing.

On the swim squads, we get a coach, lane hire, pool entry cheaper as a group. I will PM you when I have something organised for daytime (9-10). I am trying out at Claremont today, but want to train at Bayswater.
Errrk! It all sounds far too serious for this lazy ba...laid back soul....

I forgot to mention that I really have no _desire_ to swim 1500 metres <G>