Butch Martin

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    He's being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year. Butch was/is a really
    nice guy. I first met him in 1978 when I was starting to race. Unlike too
    many others (of lesser ability) he had no attitude and was extremely helpful
    to anyone who approached him for advice. Bravo!

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Maybe so, but in 1984 I was racing at T-Towne and one of his riders took me
    down in a vicious crash in a sprint finish which totaled my track frame and
    nearly totaled me. Then he had the nerve, in his team's jersey, to come up
    to me and as the Paramedics were looking me over and offered to sell me one
    of his team's bikes. IIRC I told him to F* off.

    I lost all respect for him. I guess that he was being helpful. Hey,
    everyone has bad moments, but that is what I remember about him.

    Steve