Buttermilk

In article <[email protected]>,
Ellie C <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Bob wrote:

> >>That's *sour* milk, not buttermilk.
> >>
> >>True buttermilk is what's left over after churning butter. Nowadays, most commercial buttermilk
> >>is either skimmed or low-fat with an added culture and stabilizers.
> >>
> >>To make a passable substitute, add a tablespoon of yogurt to milk and follow yogurt-making
> >>directions. Google is our friend.
> >>

> > Yes Google is our friend, and if you had used Google to look for substitute for buttermilk you
> > would have noticed that it gives a number of sites that say to use milk and vinegar or lemon
> > juice and let it stand. It makes sour milk which you can use in place of buttermilk. It may not
> > be the perfect replacement for buttermilk, but it is a viable substitute.
> >

> I know Google, thank you. (Why do people in these groups always assume that [posters other than
> themselves are stupid and lazy?) I wasn't looking for a substitute, I was wondering if there was a
> way to make actual buttermilk.

Ok, I did a little googling myself tonight and it turns out that real buttermilk is a cultured
product, kinda like yogurt... Instructions were vague. Most sites seem to say that buttermilk was
the leftover by-product from making butter.

That makes it easy. Just take a jar of heavy cream and shake it.... and shake it... and shake it
until you get a nice lump of butter and then I guess the remaining whey product left behind should
be like buttermilk? <shrugs> I usually fed it to the cats when I used to make goat butter.
:)

Don't know if this helps or not, but I tried...

K. (not a buttermilk fan except for cooking with it!)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Most frequent use of buttermilk is as an acidic ingredient in baking, which means milk 'soured' by
vinegar or lemon juice may suit. The whey-like leftover of butter-making is rather different than
the 'cultured' product for sale commercially. It appears, from recent threads and my devotion to
Google, that cultured buttermilk is more or less thin creme fraiche -- that is, milk (not cream)
innoculated with an active lactic acid culture (other buttermilk or even a bit of plain yogurt) and
allowed to sit at room temperature for a while.

http://www.clc.uc.edu/~fankhadb/cheese/buttermilk99.htm

There is also a powdered product in a can (find in the supermarket shelf with dried milk) that can
substitute for buttermilk in certain recipes. This lasts practically forever in the 'fridge, and is
quite handy if you make 2 batches of Irish soda bread a year.