Buy a new Carbon Bike Specialized Roubaix vs Fuji

aperezy

May 24, 2012
Hello everyone...I am new to the forum

I have been biking for two three years now and I want to upgrade my Aluminum frame Specialized Allez Compact to a full carbon (Avg. 2500$)
I already decided to purchase a Specialized Rival until other store offered me a great deal on a Fuji Altamira. The deal with the Fuji is about 400 $ less and they are giving me a 200$ card to buy accessories in the store.
Going online to get info for a recreational biker as me is overwhelming, so recommendations/advices are welcome. Following the links of the two biikes

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/roubaix/roubaixeliterivalcompact

http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/altamira-302

Cheers
Alfredo Perez
Lansdale

Welcome. Those two bikes have very different length headtubes (145mm vs. 165mm for a 54cm). Just a quick glance at the respective photos will confirm. All things being equal the Roubaix will have you more upright - position of course can be ajdusted by flipping the stem and/or adding and removing headset spacers. The Roubaix might considered more of an "endurance" bike, where as the Altimira features geometry closer to a "race" bike. But if you are in good shape and relatively flexible, both bikes could easily be ridden hundreds of miles.

Personally I prefer the aesthetics, geometry and components of the Fuji but you should test ride these two as they will feel different. The Fuji probably has geometry closer to your Allez.

Thanks so much good information and I am really looking more for an Endurance bike but financial deal on fuji is pretty good. Now I checked on the fuji site and I did not ses my size 54, but instead 55...is that because the headtube size? thanks so much for your kindness

Good catch aperezy - my bad... was going too fast. I usually go by top tube length when comparing bikes across models/manufactures, and the "M" Fuji, which is probably the one you'd want, actually has a 140mm headtube (54.5cm top tube), the Roubaix 165mm headtube for the 54 (54.7cm top tube). The Fuji 55 would be way too big - their sizing convention is based off the actual seat tube length, which is shorter on a compact style frame. In this case, Fuji's 50cm correlates to a Medium. Everyone brand measures slightly different, which is why using "effective top tube" is usually the best way to reference.

A good deal is hard to pass up, but for a bike I plan to covet for at least a few years, saving a couple $$ may not be ideal if it means looking back and wishing I'd spent a little extra to get the one I really wanted. Everyone is different though, the bike we own is usually a bit of a tradeoff between what we want and what we can afford.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Everyone brand measures slightly different, which is why using "effective top tube" is usually the best way to reference.
+1. Seat height can be changed (upwards anyway), stem length can be changed to some extent and effective top tube length is the most critical dimension of a frame IMHO.

Thanks Guys...now I have a problem...I went today to buy the Fuji at Performance Bike and saw this new bike and I felt in love. It is a Dimondback Podium 4 with Dur Ace comp. at the same price level. I know diamondback in the mountain dimension but not a clue on the Road dimension. ANY ADVISE???

I did not buy the bike and going to the white board again....cheers

Just did a google search and found it in 2 clicks, geometry is here http://www.diamondback.com/2011-podium-4

FWIW, the 54cm frame has a top tube of 54.5cm, same is the Cannodale I was fitted on although the frame angles are slightly more relaxed. I was told this frame geometry has "moderate" dimensions so should be a good all-round ride. with the more relaxed angles (73 seat, 72.5 head angle), should be excellent for longer rides.

Originally Posted by aperezy .
...a Dimondback Podium 4 with Dur Ace comp. at the same price level
The web site shows Ultegra components, are you sure its Dura Ace?

Dr. L...thanks for your response and Yes...it has Durace at Performance Bike. I took a test ride yesterday but honestly Fuji feels more stable... not sure about moving to Diamondback now

I think I will go with an Altamira 2.0

Thanks again
Alfredo

If you're still looking, I am selling my BMC Road Racer 2011. A bit more pricy than what you wanted to spend but can negotiate. It's posted in the classifieds.
The road racer is a racing bike. It's size 51 which is just right if you're an agressive rider/racer. I unfortunately.... sigh... can no longer ride long distance... I was just starting take the next step and start training but oh well.... ladders can be slippery.

Chaz ...thank you for the offering I will take a look and will let you know

Cheers

Chaz...sorry for the delay in my response. I already decided for the fuji basically due to my budget and some store incentive. Thanks for your offering and kindness

Cheers

Looking for an upgrade for my road bike; is the Diamondback Podium a decent bike ( 5 or the 6). I can get quite a deal but saw that DB is known for MBs.
How does this compare to a Scattante Comp or Fuji Comp ?
thx