BUYER BEWARE - PricePoint.com

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by spongebob, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. spongebob

    spongebob New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2002
    Not sure which forum is correct to put this in, hopefully this is the right one. Just wanted to tell other cyclists of a bad experience with PricePoint.com. I just bought 2 SRAM cassettes for their online price of $34.98 each. They arrived quickly, and also included was their current catalog. Opening the catalog, I saw the same cassettes for $29.98 each, so I read with interest their low-price guarantee, "30-day Price Protection, Find it for less? We'll refund the difference up to 30 days after your purchase." I emailed them back immediately and got a response from Frank. He said the $34.98 price stands. Last week I found these cassettes at Performance during their Year-end Inventory reduction sale - $29.95 each. I emailed frank again and he said the price stands. BUYER BEWARE. Price Point does not back their prices.

    Tags:

  2. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "spongebob" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Not sure which forum is correct to put this in, hopefully this is the
    > right one. Just wanted to tell other cyclists of a bad experience with
    > PricePoint.com. I just bought 2 SRAM cassettes for their online price
    > of $34.98 each. They arrived quickly, and also included was their
    > current catalog. Opening the catalog, I saw the same cassettes for
    > $29.98 each, so I read with interest their low-price guarantee, "30-day
    > Price Protection, Find it for less? We'll refund the difference up to 30
    > days after your purchase." I emailed them back immediately and got a
    > response from Frank. He said the $34.98 price stands. Last week I found
    > these cassettes at Performance during their Year-end Inventory reduction
    > sale - $29.95 each. I emailed frank again and he said the price stands.
    > BUYER BEWARE. Price Point does not back their prices.

    And what was the explanation given for refusing to honor the lower price?
    Feel free to quote the original e-mail.

    RichC (who finds it interesting that these vendor-complaint threads seem
    always to be started by people who have never posted to the group before)

  3. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 08:11:48 +1100, spongebob
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Not sure which forum is correct to put this in, hopefully this is the
    >right one. Just wanted to tell other cyclists of a bad experience with
    >PricePoint.com. I just bought 2 SRAM cassettes for their online price
    >of $34.98 each. They arrived quickly, and also included was their
    >current catalog. Opening the catalog, I saw the same cassettes for
    >$29.98 each, so I read with interest their low-price guarantee, "30-day
    >Price Protection, Find it for less? We'll refund the difference up to 30
    >days after your purchase." I emailed them back immediately and got a
    >response from Frank. He said the $34.98 price stands. Last week I found
    >these cassettes at Performance during their Year-end Inventory reduction
    >sale - $29.95 each. I emailed frank again and he said the price stands.
    >BUYER BEWARE. Price Point does not back their prices.

    Howdy,

    Did you pay with a card?

    If so, call your card company. It is very likely that they
    will go to bat for you.

    It is worth a try,

    --
    Kenneth

  4. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    spongebob wrote:
    > Not sure which forum is correct to put this in, hopefully this is the
    > right one. Just wanted to tell other cyclists of a bad experience with
    > PricePoint.com. I just bought 2 SRAM cassettes for their online price
    > of $34.98 each. They arrived quickly, and also included was their
    > current catalog. Opening the catalog, I saw the same cassettes for
    > $29.98 each, so I read with interest their low-price guarantee,
    > "30-day Price Protection, Find it for less? We'll refund the
    > difference up to 30 days after your purchase." I emailed them back
    > immediately and got a response from Frank. He said the $34.98 price
    > stands. Last week I found these cassettes at Performance during their
    > Year-end Inventory reduction sale - $29.95 each. I emailed frank
    > again and he said the price stands. BUYER BEWARE. Price Point does
    > not back their prices.

    I gotta concur with Rich Clarke on this one, I'm wondering if the OP has
    laid out all the facts here. In the interest of full disclosure, I've been
    buying from Pricepoint for years and have never had a problem, 'course I've
    never tried to invoke their "Price Protection" policy either. Still, I
    can't imagine that "Frank" would have merely rejected your claim without
    some sort of explaination. Lots of possibilities on this one. I suspect
    there's more to the story here. Are you sure you're talking about the right
    cassettee? Pricepoint's web site lists SRAM 9 sp road cassettes at
    $34.98-39.98 and 970 mountain cassettes at $29.98. I suspect you may have
    mixed up your prices/cassettes. Similarly -- Performance year end clearence
    lists the 850 mtn cassette at 21.98 and the 970 mtn cassette at 34.98 (more
    expensive than Pricepoint). Seems to me that you might want to check the
    details.

    Based on the facts you've presented, and the advertised prices on the
    various websites (usually the most current and often the cheapest) it
    appears Frank may have been correct in rejecting your claim.

    Tom

  5. Gofastdaddy

    Gofastdaddy Guest

    I had this happen with PricePoint on a Selle Italia seat. Placed the
    order in the morning, found it for less later in the day, called them-
    was told that I have to notify them when I'm placing the orderl I had
    a similar experience on Supergo with a bike pump. I tried emailing to
    see if the decision would be any different- it wasn't.

  6. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    Gofastdaddy wrote:
    > I had this happen with PricePoint on a Selle Italia seat. Placed the
    > order in the morning, found it for less later in the day, called them-
    > was told that I have to notify them when I'm placing the orderl I had
    > a similar experience on Supergo with a bike pump. I tried emailing to
    > see if the decision would be any different- it wasn't.

    This from Pricepoint's website:

    "Note: We will gladly match our competitors' prices as long as the exact
    item is in stock and the price still holds. This does not include items
    that are on sale, clearance, or blowouts.
    Our low price guarantee extends up to 30 days from the date of your
    purchase. Let us know the name of the competitor, what they're selling it
    for, exact product size/color, and we will take it from there."

    Sorry for your experiences, but details matter -- in this case the OP stated
    he found a lower price in Performance's year end sale. The Performance
    price a) doesn't appear to be lower; and b) is in fact a *sale* item and
    hence not covered by Pricepoint's policy. While you may think that is kinda
    cheesy, but it is clearly stated. You claim to have "found it for less" as
    well. Where did you find it and what reason did they give for not matching
    the price? Seems to me there is a pretty broad range of circumstances where
    the match doesn't apply.

    I don't mean to sound like some sort of apologist for Pricepoint or the
    bicycle component industry, but it's just that I'm somewhat suspicious of
    the original poster's claims. My own perusing of the web suggests some
    confusion over actual prices and/or products, and that Pricepoint's
    pricematch policy doesn't apply to competitors markdown items.

    Perhaps if the OP could provide us with more details about the products and
    prices (to clear up the disconnects between the post and the published
    prices on the web) and offer some more details about his correspondence with
    Pricepoint his story may warrant notice. Without it is merely
    unsubstantiated assertion at best.

    Me......I usually try and find the best price *before* I purchase a part.

    Tom

  7. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:tPKBd.65640$Jk5.[email protected]
    at best.

    > Me......I usually try and find the best price *before* I purchase a part.

    Bingo

  8. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:13:42 GMT, "Gary Mishler"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    > at best.
    >

    >> Me......I usually try and find the best price *before* I purchase a part.

    >Bingo

    Another place to try is Lickton's
    (http://www.lickbike.com/index.shtml)

    I've taken advantage of their "You can't beat our prices!" guarantee
    in the past and have been really satisfied with their service.

    Note, I'm not connected with Lickton's; just a satisfied customer.
    :)

    Only problem for me, I live in Illinois and so have to pay sales tax
    when I order from them. :-(

  9. John Everett wrote:

    > Another place to try is Lickton's
    > (http://www.lickbike.com/index.shtml)
    >
    > I've taken advantage of their "You can't beat our prices!" guarantee
    > in the past and have been really satisfied with their service.

    Indeed. In fact, Pricepoint was one of the retailers Licton's once
    matched for me, on a Selle Italia saddle as I recall.

    RichC

  10. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Gary Mishler" wrote: Me......I usually try and find the best price
    *before* I purchase a part.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This kind of price-matching guarantee is intended to disarm the buyer. The
    30-day period may result in your finding a better price which may not have
    been in effect on the date of purchase.

    If that sort of promise was made to me and not kept, I would be out the
    money, and they would lose me as a customer FOREVER. By the same token,
    there are several businesses that I have continued to patronize over the
    years, and recommend to others because of the way I was treated. Businesses
    spend large amounts on advertising, which may be more expensive and less
    effective than just treating the customer right.

  11. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Gary Mishler" wrote: Me......I usually try and find the best price
    > *before* I purchase a part.

    Just to clarify - I did not write the above, you miss quoted. The person I
    responded to wrote it.

    Mish

  12. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Gary Mishler" wrote: Just to clarify - I did not write the above, you
    miss quoted. The person I responded to wrote it.
    Sorry, I see that now. But, you said, "Bingo" to what he wrote, so my
    response could be to both of you. (But, I should have got it right.)