Buying a bike, but I don't know what to look for.

mojoe24

Jan 7, 2012
I've been wanting to buy a bike for the past few months now. I have ~$200 saved and would like to stay close to that. Most of my riding would probably be on the road, but I like the idea of trying out trails as well. I figure my best bet is buying used on craigslist, but I don't know what bikes to look for.

No help? Any ideas would be helpful. I'm a big guy (6-3 340) so I'm afraid that if I just go out and buy a bike it might not be able to handle the weight.

If you plan to use it on both the road and on trails, I would recommend a mountain bike and two sets of tires, one knobby and one set of slicks (thinner street tires made for a 26'' wheel). This wouldn't be a great choice if you plan on taking road trips with others who are riding road bikes (unless they are out of shape or you are a very strong rider). If trails are more of a notion than a reality, maybe a road bike or hybrid instead? There is so little we don't know. This is almost like asking what kind of girl should I date? Date the girl you are going to be excited to go out on dates with. Buy the bike you are going to be excited to ride, or that is best suited for the chore you intend to tackle.

$200 is a tough price point, even for used. Indicating a specific brand would be a tough call. My advice would be trying to find a bike that fits well and originally sold in a bike shop and not a department or toy store. Some folks (myself included) doubt the physical integrity of these bikes, especially for someone on the weightier side. Maybe pose this question in the Clydsdale section as well...

How do hybrids do on trails? I won't really go offroading much if at all. I think most of my riding right now will be on the roads trying to get in shape. But later I'd definitely do trails. Still the majority of my riding would be roads.

A hybrid will do pretty good on trails if you have the right tires. I would get a set of tires that have a smooth center bead for lower rolling resistance on pavement and have good tread on the outside portions of the tire for traction off-road.

Something like this:

http://www.bontrager.com/model/08038

Besides the tougher tires, you'd probably want a triple chainring on the front to give you a wider range of gears. However not all trails are created equal, fire roads and the like would probably be fine. I've done some single track with steep ascents and descents I wouldn't have tried without at least front suspension - something I would want to completely avoid at that price point and if I were planning on doing mostly road riding. As you mentioned your weight, wheel strength would be important, especially riding off road.

Once you are in shape and have ridden a bit, you'll discover what kind of riding you like and can dump more $$ in that direction..