Buying a bike for the husband

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by lilwhodas, May 20, 2013.

1. lilwhodas

lilwhodas New Member

My husband has been expressing a lot of interest in getting a bike recently. He is athletic and has always had an interest, but we now live in the Washington, DC metro area and with all the great trails around, he really wants to start to ride. We stopped into a bike shop and the guy suggested a Hybrid 17-18 inch frame based on his height (5' 7"). He has short legs and a long torso, so the guy said to stick closer to a 17-17.5 inch if he can. He is looking to buy a used bike so he doesn't make a crazy investment before knowing this is something he would truly enjoy. I was thinking about surprising him with one. He will mostly be riding trails here - so I am not sure a Hybrid is really what he needs. Any suggestions welcome on brands/styles/etc are welcome!! Thank you in advance!!

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

an hybrid can mean different things, but most likely built for commuting purposes. bike sizes are better known by the metric system (50cm (19.69inches) - 52cm (20.47inches) - etc) or more recently letters (s - m - l - xl) your husband should be in the s - m // 50cm - 52cm size range, my brother got his first real gift surprise by his wife in the form of a Trek mountain bike !

3. lilwhodas

lilwhodas New Member

Thank you! That is great info. I was just going by what I overheard the guy at the bike shop say to my husband. I really have no idea what I am talking about in the way of bikes.

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. If I did not have a bike to ride ...

And, if I wanted a modestly priced bike which seemed to be possibly worthy of updating in the future ...

Then, I would probably get the base model (steel ... that's a good thing because steel framed bikes are MY personal preference) JAMIS CODA (MSRP $540 ... a 2013 model is effectively last year's model & a 2012 is a two year old bike ... figure on 10%-to-20% price reduction on a 2013 ... and, a larger reduction on a 2012 if any are in stock ... ) ...

[​IMG]

The Coda Sport is available with either a RED frame or a BLACK frame ...

• I'm 5'9" tall & would probably choose the 17" frame based on it's top tube length (56cm) ...
    • if I were 5'7", then I would probably choose the Coda with a 15" frame

----​

BTW. Just for your reference, here are the first three links when I input "jamis coda washington DC" ... you should input the same query & follow through, accordingly ...

JAMIS BICYCLES - DEALER SEARCH
    www.jamisbikes.com [Found on Google]
    dealer head. Enter your info below to find your nearest Authorized Jamis Retailer. Zip. Distance. Miles. Advanced Search. INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTORS ...

jamis coda sport 2011 9 speed 17.5 - Washington DC Classifieds ...
    washingtondc.ebayclassifieds.com [Found on Google]
    2011 JAMIS CODA SPORT 9 SPEED IN WELL-MAINTAINED CONDITION. " SANGRIA RED AND PEARLY WHITE" FRAME AND FUJI VELO SADDLE. (no longer listed)

2010 Jamis Coda Used Price - $375 - The Price Guide for ...
    priceonomics.com [Found on Yahoo! Search]
    2010 Jamis Coda Sport 19" Washington, DC · last seen 6 months ago. $450. 2010 Jamis Coda Sport Seattle-Tacoma, WA · last seen 7 months ago. $275.

5. deerfly

deerfly New Member

The guy at the bike shop is correct. Hybrid bikes are generally measured in inches or S-M-L designation, cm's are more likely to be used for road bikes. Somebody who is 5'7" would be around a 17" frame size. I am 5'9" and own a 17.5" Trek and an 18" (L) Cannondale. Both fit me well but the Cannondale a little better. Good luck!

6. lilwhodas

lilwhodas New Member

Thank you all!! This is all extremely great info!!