buying a bike in spain (second hand hopefully)

demianf

Mar 16, 2004
hi. i'm going to be travelling and working on farms in spain for three months and i wanted to buy a bike once i got there. is there any sources i could look into? i'd like to buy a used bike if possible as new bikes in europe are very expensive. i'll probably be flying into madrid first. any bike stores. used bike possibilities you know of? do you think it would be a better idea to go to amsterdam to buy a bike, and then fly to spain? is there a better chance of getting a used bike, or a better price on a new bike in holland? any information would be most appreciated. thanks.

Originally posted by demianf
hi. i'm going to be travelling and working on farms in spain for three months and i wanted to buy a bike once i got there. is there any sources i could look into? i'd like to buy a used bike if possible as new bikes in europe are very expensive. i'll probably be flying into madrid first. any bike stores. used bike possibilities you know of? do you think it would be a better idea to go to amsterdam to buy a bike, and then fly to spain? is there a better chance of getting a used bike, or a better price on a new bike in holland? any information would be most appreciated. thanks.

Hi
I,m a spanish living in Spain
There is no point at all, in buying in Holland and then flying to Spain. Once you get in Madrid, you just need to visit one of the many cycling stores to find whatever you are looking for.
¿How to find a store? Search in cycling magazines or Internet typing "ciclismo madrid" in google.es.

best regards

Hi,
In Madrid there is a lot of shops you can get 2hand bikes, famouses are Mamuth, Bicimania, Caracol.
But the best deal is if you carry a american bike from the states,
The more desire bike ia a Blur with a Fox fork, after your 3 months here you can sell this bike expensive that you pay in USA.
Price of Blur+Talas in Spain is $2900(Only frame and fork).
In fact you can contact me and I would buy the bike.
Holland is expensive that Spain for bikes.
Regards

Originally posted by demianf

Are only American brands of bikes more expensive in Europe (like Trek), or are bikes in general more expensive? Would a European bike be more expensive to buy in North America than in Europe?

Hi,
The expensive bikes are the american brands, SC, Cannondale, Giant, Kona and Trek are the more usual and more demandind.
example. Scalpel could be $1000 cheaper in USA.
A Fox Talas fork cost $1000 in Spain and around 600$ in USA.
The most demandind frame could be a Fuel o a Blur, the Blur Frame basic cost $1800 in Spain and I think 1100$ in USA.
European brands cost similar in USA and Europe.
Regards

Originally posted by meg28
Are only American brands of bikes more expensive in Europe (like Trek), or are bikes in general more expensive? Would a European bike be more expensive to buy in North America than in Europe?

Originally posted by cabia2002
Hi,
In Madrid there is a lot of shops you can get 2hand bikes, famouses are Mamuth, Bicimania, Caracol.
But the best deal is if you carry a american bike from the states,
The more desire bike ia a Blur with a Fox fork, after your 3 months here you can sell this bike expensive that you pay in USA.
Price of Blur+Talas in Spain is $2900(Only frame and fork).
In fact you can contact me and I would buy the bike.
Holland is expensive that Spain for bikes.
Regards

hello! i live in the US and and was thinking about getting a Orbea Orca. I know they are manufactured in Spain and are quite popular there. Perhaps we can help each other save some $$$. I could help you get what ever American bike, components, etc. that you need and you could do the same for me re. a Orbea Orca frame and fork. :p . what do you think? or if you could direct me to someone who would be able to, I would be most thankful!!! if you like you can email me directly at: [email protected]