Buying a bike in States for transamerica

SusanG

May 21, 2006
Hi There
I'm doing the transamerica ride for a series of articles in a UK newspaper this summer. The aim of the articles is to be as eco-friendly as possible and with that in mind I wanted to try and buy a second-hand bike or a new older model when I arrived in the States rather than taking my own bike or splashing out on a brand new one (budget issues as well.)
I wondered whether anyone had any tips, ideas or advice about where I can get my hands on one? In an ideal world I'd be riding a Terry Madelaine or Cannondale T800. I'll be flying into Washington DC and bringing all my other kit with me.
I really need some help on this!!
Big thanks
Susan

quality touring bicycle to purchase 2nd hand/old stock upon your arrival in DC could be a challenge... a little footwork before you arrive may yield some results:

contact local shops who may have or know of one that may be for sale, for example; if i am a shop owner or salesperson and have customer who bought a great touring bike from me i remember them! esp. if they have indicated they are losing interest in it and might want to trade it in/sell it...

alternatively have you heard of craigslist? google that and D.C. and you may find something...

all's'miles

curby