Buying a bike, need suggestion (please help)

pipedreamer

Jan 4, 2007
I went into my local bike shop and was talking to the owner, I told him I was in the market for a good entry level bike. He told me that me might be able to help me out if I had a bit of money I could afford to keep tied up for a few weeks.

He's willing to sell me a brand new 2006 Trek EX 9 for well below retail value, and I was wondering if any of you think I would have trouble selling the bike for $2500. As much as I'd love to take the bike for myself, I can sell the bike and be able to afford a good entry level bike with the money I stand to make off of this. Does this sound like a good deal?

Any opinions/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

70 views and not a single response? C'mon...

Just tell me if $2500 is a fair deal for the bike or not, that's all I ask...

can't answer. don't know.

but let me get this straight....
I can sell the bike and be able to afford a good entry level bike with the money I stand to make off of this. Does this sound like a good deal?
the owner is telling you he'll give you a good deal so that you can sell the bike on your own? i don't get it. if he's making a little $ off the bike, how can you sell it for more than a lbs that offers service, etc.? seems like a potential buyer would be better off trying to work out a deal with this owner directly and eliminate the middle-man.

atomship47 said:
can't answer. don't know.

but let me get this straight....
the owner is telling you he'll give you a good deal so that you can sell the bike on your own? i don't get it. if he's making a little $ off the bike, how can you sell it for more than a lbs that offers service, etc.? seems like a potential buyer would be better off trying to work out a deal with this owner directly and eliminate the middle-man.
Yes, that's exactly right. I've gotten 2 bikes from them in the last 14 months, and both have gotten stolen right from under my nose :( The shop owner is a really good guy and apparently is taking pity on me. I told him I wanted to fork out money for yet another bike, and he offered to help me out.

He's giving me a brand new bike for dirt cheap that the MSRP on is $3400. I could sell the bike for much less than that, and if I can sell it for, say, $2500 I'll be making a little money off of the deal. Apparently he's giving it to me at cost, or just barely above cost, and whoever buys it from me is still getting a good deal on a great bike.

why doesn't he offer you an entry-level bike for just over cost?

i'm not trying to be combative with you. i just thought i'd offer a 3rd party pov. it would seem to me that, if he wanted to really give you a good deal, he'd put you on a bike that you really want. maybe he really is a good guy. maybe he's offering you a good deal. maybe he benefits by selling an expensive carry-over from last year. i have no idea whatsoever what someone would pay you for the bike.....caveat emptor

i was at a local lbs the other day and they are offering a cannondale sport road at a pretty exceptional price. its an '06 left-over and i get the feeling that every day that goes by, the less they feel they'll be able to get for the bike. too bad its not my size.

atomship47 said:
why doesn't he offer you an entry-level bike for just over cost?

i'm not trying to be combative with you. i just thought i'd offer a 3rd party pov. it would seem to me that, if he wanted to really give you a good deal, he'd put you on a bike that you really want. maybe he really is a good guy. maybe he's offering you a good deal. maybe he benefits by selling an expensive carry-over from last year. i have no idea whatsoever what someone would pay you for the bike.....caveat emptor

i was at a local lbs the other day and they are offering a cannondale sport road at a pretty exceptional price. its an '06 left-over and i get the feeling that every day that goes by, the less they feel they'll be able to get for the bike. too bad its not my size.
The plan is that if I can sell this bike, I will be able to pay for a just-over entry level bike (Trek 6000) with the profit from the EX 9.

I really don't think he's trying to stiff me, he knows I've given them alot of money over the last year and he feels bad that my stuff keeps getting stolen.

A fool and his money is easily parted! Don't start wheeling and dealing, you will not come out on top. Buy the cheap bike you want.