Buying a Bike on Ebay??

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by billsbike, Aug 5, 2006.

1. billsbike

billsbike New Member

How do people feel about this? Experiences, good or bad? Is it NOT reccomended. I am very wary about it. Although I have sold a pefectly fine Bike on the site, that person got themselves a steal. :confused: Reason I ask is, there's a very expensive bike on there that I could be into, but it just seems to good to be true, being the starting bid is so low compared to what it is worth :eek: Any opinions much appreciated!

Tags:

2. willocrew

willocrew New Member

Yea i was looking at ebay the other night, and i saw a cervelo P3 going for US 200 starting bid. But the price really does climb after a while. And if I'm not wrong, some of these sellers actually have this ebay option of an undisclosed price, under which the seller can call off the deal.

3. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

I personally would not spend more than $150 on ebay (although in NZ it's TradeMe). I think it's good, but you have to know your prices very well, and monitor the auctions that come up for a month or so to get a feel.

I've bought all my bikes thru auction sites - almost all of them are fine, one or two of them are badly described.

4. Windbreaker

Windbreaker New Member

I bought my latest frame offa ebay. I'm happy with it, although the fork steerer was shorter than I prefer and I've got one of those kludge risers offa the fork to get the handlebars up to where I like them.

5. clack3rz

clack3rz New Member

I've bought and sold alot of stuff on eBay in the past. Here's my experiences:
    First place to start is the seller him/herself
    Always check the sellers history & feedback score - does he/she have any negative feedback? If so what for?
    Does the seller have a history? If not ask questions to the seller.
    What sort of information is available to you in the description?
    If there is anything else you need to know - ask.
    Can you view/try the item before the end of the auction?
    Why is it being sold?
    Does the pic do it justice? You can request other pics - just ask.
    Postage - can the item be posted - if so how much does it cost? Do they offer insurance to post the item - if so how much?
    Bidding - most bidders don't use eBay to its potential. eBay is designed for you to enter in the price YOU think the item is worth. eBay will then bid for you against other bidders (they will be told they've been outbid) until your maximum bid is reached. As everyone is out for a bargain most people will increment by small amounts in the hope they won't be outbid and get it cheap. Best way is to just enter in your max and let eBay do the rest. If you are not outbid then you will only pay the price the item reached. It also saves you from the 'mad minute' - where in the last minute everyone is trying to put in their tiny amounts in the hope they win.
    If the seller has a reserve on the item, then it must reach this reserve.
    Buy It Now - as it states. Some items have an auction with a Buy It Now option. Usually the price the seller is looking for, but is hoping the auction will go over in the 'mad minute'
    If you think the price is fair for the Buy It Now - then do it. Don't get caught up in the bidding. Yes sometimes you may get it cheaper than the Buy It Now - but you may loose the auction and miss out, or you can get caught up on the bidding and go over your limit! (it's happened to me!)
    Anyway that's my bit on eBay.......
    Good place to shop - get bargains etc, but can be expensive too!
    Remember you are the customer and if the seller is serious and stands by the item being sold, then you'll get all the information you need from them!
    Good Luck!

6. musictom

musictom New Member

+1 on the info, clack3rz! Great advice.

Well, I've successfully bought 2 cars on ebay, so I'm proof that it CAN be done.

I've gotten involved in bidding on three different bikes on ebay in the last two weeks. The prices often start low, and there won't be much activitity. You'll think that you'll get a steal of a lifetime. (I watched this Cannondale R2000 sit at $400 with less than 18 hours to go just a while back).

And then the bidding frenzy begins! It's often fun/eductational to find completed auctions of items you're looking for. Check out the bid history. Those last 15 minutes are usually where 80% of the bids take place. People try to snipe you up until the last 15 seconds.

Good luck,

Tom

7. carbonite

carbonite New Member

i have sold numerous bike at the Bay. i have had all happy sellers. i buy frames and parts and put them together and then sell them. i have really been very successful up to now. i have also bought at least 5 bikes and frames from there. i got an amazing deal on a complete CR1 that was brand new! it was as described and everything was seemless and painless. i have since built it in to a 16lb. unit with pedals and computer included. it really pays to have experience though. you can spot suspicious perps after awhile. and then you can just contact them and start asking questions. and if you don't like the responses or there are none, you simply move on. good luck yalls. but luck has nothing to do with it.

8. RickF

RickF New Member

The only problem with buying a bike off eBay is if you do not know exactly what you need or what is being sold. If you are experienced and know that the bike will fit you, and you can get it at a reasonable price, then there are good deals. If you are a noobie, you may end up with a good deal on a bike that does not fit you. In that case, you may become a seller sooner than you expected.

I have bought items off eBay, but usualy only on the "Buy it now" items. I do not have the time to watch the auctions. Again, there are good deals to be found as long as you are experienced enough to know exactly what you need.

9. carbonite

carbonite New Member

R-E-S-E-A-R-C-H. the key is research. you must research what you are buying always, no matter what it is. if you just go in and purchase a bike and are unsure of the size then that is what you will get. one should always get measurement and sizing info by asking, before you buy.

10. DMF

DMF New Member

The more desireable and newer bikes will (usually) fetch what they're worth. The older or middle range of bikes can often go for a steal. If the seller doesn't have a high starting price, it can't hurt to drop a way-low bid on the bike. Just don't get too excited about getting a bargain until 5 minutes before the auction ends. ;)

It's called a reserve price. Reserve price listings are common with eBay bike sellers. EBay won't tell you the reserve but the seller often will if you ask.

11. DMF

DMF New Member

Many people are afraid of taking the risk. There is a solution: use an escrow service like www.escrow.com .

The escrow service acts as a third party, holding the buyer's payment until the buyer has received the bike and decided that it is (or is not) what was described in the auction listing. The buyer must then either release the payment or return the bike.

There is a cost for using escrow, typically about $30/$1000 or $60/$1000 (depending on how payment is made). Either party can pay that fee or they can split it. I usually split it.

I insist on using escrow for most auctions over ~$400 USD. Best to be sure the seller agrees before you bid. I never bid on an item where the seller won't agree to use escrow.

12. pineapple

pineapple New Member

Does anyone know of other useful websites for shopping for second hand bikes? Other than ebay and cyclingforums?

13. musictom

musictom New Member

craigslist.com