Buying a bike...

Flylow

Guest
So I am trying to buy a bike...There are SO many things to consider. First of all, I'm trying to
keep it under $1000. Unlike most triathletes, I'm not rolling in the dough! But here's my
dilemma...The LBS has a Giant OCR2 with clipless pedals and aero bars and all that jazz for $950.
Free shoes, too, due to their sale. I am currently riding my 1989 raleigh ten speed. So I need it
ALL. Sounds like a good deal to me. I have read that Giants are great bikes. Then my friend has a
2000 Trek 2000 she's getting rid of for $450. (barely ridden) Thing is, her husband took off the
drop bars to try to put on bullhorn bars that didn't work. The LBS said it would cost me at most
about $50 to get that re-arranged. Then to add aerobars and clipless pedals and shoes, I figure I'm
in the $800 range. So the question is...do I spend the extra couple bucks for the NEW bike? Is it
worth it? Help!

[email protected] (FlyLow) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> So I am trying to buy a bike...There are SO many things to consider. First of all, I'm trying to
> keep it under $1000. Unlike most triathletes, I'm not rolling in the dough! But here's my
> dilemma...The LBS has a Giant OCR2 with clipless pedals and aero bars and all that jazz for $950.
> Free shoes, too, due to their sale. I am currently riding my 1989 raleigh ten speed. So I need it
> ALL. Sounds like a good deal to me. I have read that Giants are great bikes. Then my friend has a
> 2000 Trek 2000 she's getting rid of for $450. (barely ridden) Thing is, her husband took off the
> drop bars to try to put on bullhorn bars that didn't work. The LBS said it would cost me at most
> about $50 to get that re-arranged. Then to add aerobars and clipless pedals and shoes, I figure
> I'm in the $800 range. So the question is...do I spend the extra couple bucks for the NEW bike? Is
> it worth it? Help!

Several things which you fail to mention, but are VERY important. How do these bikes FIT? Has the
LBS done a proper fit on you (and by this, I do NOT mean the old "standover test"! That tells you
little to nothing, except usually that you will fit the bike that they want to sell...) The last
thing you want to do, and the most common mistake most people make, is to buy a "great buy" which
doesn't fit properly. I have a friend who's coming by shortly who is EXACTLY in this position - he
now is looking for a properly fitting bike a few months after buying the first!

Anyways, FIT should be the #1 consideration. It is WELL WORTH paying the few bucks it will charge to
get the fit done, as it will save you money, and make your riding more productive in the long run.

OK, as to the particulars of bikes - One thing to consider is the quality of the components. As for
OCR2, while Giant does make some nice bikes, the OCR2 comes with Sora and Tiagra. Sora is the low,
low end of Shimano, and Tiagra just above it. I have also found that the OCR is a very harsh bike to
ride. It transmits a lot of vibration. Now, regarding the used bike you mention, and used bikes in
general - you can get a GREAT deal on used bikes. If you give me some particulars, I can point you
to a few online. It should cost you NOTHING CLOSE to $300+ to get bars, pedals, and shoes. You can
get some solid Look pedals for under $50, shoes for around the same if you shop hard, and bars for
not much more, especially if you look on eBay.

IMHO, forget the Giant. For $900, check out some of the new 2002 closeout Fuji's which can still be
found. They have some of the best bikes for the bucks! Same for brands like KHS - no nonsense, great
value. Try to stick to Shimano 105 or better components. You should be able to get one of those for
under $900. OK, you will need to lay out a bit more for everything else, but the quality difference
will be MORE than worth it. I will be more than happy to point you to a few bargains if you'd like
on shoes, helmets, bars, pedals, anything else.

Anyways, that's my $.02

In case you have any doubts, re-read the previous post about fit by topdog. Then, find a shop that
has a Serotta Size cycle and insist that you be sized on it as part of the deal. Oh, and I can think
news:[email protected]...