Buying a fixed gear?

Discussion in 'Singlespeed' started by Powderfinger, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Powderfinger

Powderfinger New Member

Hey people,

I was about to have my LBS build me a fixed gear out of random parts for about $200, but then I saw this Mercier on ebay for $300. http://cyclesmercier.com/big_tt.html

Any thoughts ? Has anyone ridden one of these?

Tags:

2. michaeln

michaeln New Member

The frame is OK, basic chromoly, probably as good a frame as an IRO. The rest of the running gear is cheap stuff though and will need to be replaced sooner than later.

That being said, it's probably a good way to get into fixing for cheap.

3. dale ditzler

dale ditzler New Member

i bought one last year and it's been a very dependable commuter/fun bike. the gearing was too tall for city stuff and hills, but a change to an 18 rear made it fun and good for most everything except mach 9 blasts down a straight road, but since i prefer hills and curves, that's just fine. i added a front brake after several days, and 700x28 tires...later a different seat and higher stem. the wheels have been bulletproof, which to me is better than light if i had to pick one. it's a blast to ride, with steep angles that you get used to before long and makes it feel much different than a conversion, which i also ride, though not nearly as much. the conversion would be good for a high mileage distance fixie or fixed touring, but for around town this thing is great. it's a good idea to pack all the bearings as you assemble it, since there wasn't much grease in any of mine.