buying a flat bar/hybrid

ret

Aug 29, 2004
I have narrowed it down to four bike from different LBSs scattered around town. I have road them all but the LBSs are all seperated and is somewhat difficult to do A/B tests. Anyway I would appreciate your input and experience. They are listed below (with differences).

Marin Fairfax, $600, sora r/d, carbon fork, integratede shifter/brake.
Specialized Sirrus/Sport, $550/$600, sora/tiagra intigrated shifters.
Raleigh C700, $520, 105 r/d, carbon fork, shimano clipless M505 peddles.
Jamis Coda Sport, $600, deore r/d, steel frame.

The Raleigh seems to have an edge on price/components. Thanks for your input.

ret said:
I have narrowed it down to four bike from different LBSs scattered around town. I have road them all but the LBSs are all seperated and is somewhat difficult to do A/B tests. Anyway I would appreciate your input and experience. They are listed below (with differences).

Marin Fairfax, $600, sora r/d, carbon fork, integratede shifter/brake.
Specialized Sirrus/Sport, $550/$600, sora/tiagra intigrated shifters.
Raleigh C700, $520, 105 r/d, carbon fork, shimano clipless M505 peddles.
Jamis Coda Sport, $600, deore r/d, steel frame.

The Raleigh seems to have an edge on price/components. Thanks for your input.
A friend of mine bought a Sirrus last year and is very pleased, a very well thought out bike, well-bult bike. I also ride a Specialized (Sequioa) and have had no trouble in 4000 miles. I'm not sure about the quality of Raleigh bikes anymore, they used to be a benchmark brand up to the 80's but I think they've slipped a bit. I don't know diddly about the other brands you mention.

Bought a specialized sirrus sport earlier this year. Good bike works OK and fun to ride. The only thing I did was get the LBS to put spd,s on instead of the supplied pedals ( I got a refund for the originals)
Cant comment on the others
Cheers

I looked at many brands and went for the Felt SR 81. Nice precice handling, comfortable for my age, not too long in the top tube. Good value components for the price.

gclark8 said:
I looked at many brands and went for the Felt SR 81. Nice precice handling, comfortable for my age, not too long in the top tube. Good value components for the price.

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately there aren't any felt dealers around me that carry that bike.