Buying a frame (online)

schristie11

Apr 29, 2012
Where can I shop for bike frames other than at my local stores?
My local stores do not offer competitive prices and have very limited choices.
I want a good deal but I am not certain where to start looking because google has not answered this question.

Are items like these on ebay too good to be true:

$799
NEW CANNONDALE FLASH CARBON BICYCLE FRAME 26" BB30

$500
NEW CANNONDALE FLASH ALUMINUM ALLOY BICYCLE FRAME F1 26"

Wrench Science, Excel Sports, Competitive Cyclist, and Colorado Cyclist are just a few reputable dealers that sell frames online. I'll leave it to you to find the URLs.

No comment on the eBay links you posted. I have no idea what your intentions are.

Thanks for the site names.
I was however, hoping to find prices that were a little better though.

Manufacturers and importers are very careful about managing their retail prices. They don't want their online dealers undercutting their traditional dealers.

If it's low prices you want, go to BikesDirect.com. They're brands aren't sold in stores.

As oldbobcat mentioned several good places I will add All3Sports, Planet-X and Pedal Force, but also look at the places oldbobcat mentioned and check out their discontinued items category if they have one. You can often find year old brand name frames that have never been used for half price sometimes. There are many bike shops online that we have not listed yet that have a discontinued/discount category on website.

In 2009 I bought a 2008 LOOK 585 frame (exactly the frame that I wanted) from Excel Sports in their discounted category at a very discounted price (well over $1K off the original price). Fortunately for that bike I already knew my fit/size needs and could buy online and it does fit well. I purchased the components from ebay as a group set. I believe overall I saved over $2K from retail at the LBS.

A few weeks back I was looking to add a TT bike to the stable and searched online, but having never been fitted to a TT bike I was not sure of fit and geometry. Fortunately I found a nice a 2011 Felt B10 frame on Craigslist being sold from a local bike fitter. Turns out the orginal owner was not properly fitted to the frame from a LBS and had to get a proper fitting frame so it was only used a few times and as in very good shape. It was a plus for me because it was being sold for the owner by the professional bike fitter and I was fitted to the frame before I laid down the cash. I hired the fitter to build the bike for me and his price on components was better than what I could find on ebay. Plus I got a professional final fit and the bike does feel pretty good so far. I paid less for this frame than a new Planet-X or Pedal Force frame (both of those are also decent for online frame purchase). With Craigslist (if you are in a metro area) the bonus is being able to actually see the frame/bike in person before laying down the cash.