Buying a friend's bike

RudyB

Jan 9, 2014
Hi all, I'm new at this forum and learning a lot from members posts.

I just wanted an opinion regarding my friend's Specialized Rubaix SL3 I believe. I know It's a Rubaix and not sure whether it's the SL3 or SL4. Anyway, my friend rode this bike about 3 or 4 times eversince he purchased the bike. It's all Carbon Fiber and all the parts are Dura Ace. He is selling me the bike for $2,000! I think he paid a lot more than that. I don't know how much bikes costs now a days but is this a good price?

He said that he is selling it to me for cheap because it's just collecting dust in his basement. What do you think? Thanks!

-Rudy

RudyB,
Can you get a few photos of the bike and post them on this thread for the bike experts? That may help them out.
Also...do you know what year that bike was made?

Thanks,
John S (The non-bike expert)

JohnS,

I'll try to get a photo I haven't purchase it yet. I've seen the bike before and it's in perfect condition. I was there when he pick it up from the store.

Rudy

If DuraAce was original spec for the bike, he paid well north of 5 grand for it, I would think. Doesn't matter whether it's SL 3 or SL 4. You won't know the difference when riding it. If it has only been lightly ridden (and assuming that your friend never crashed it and isn't trying to sucker you into buying a damaged bike) 2 grand is a steal, with one caveat: make sure that it fits you.

Today's S-works Roubaix with DuraAce has an MSRP of $8,500, for comparison. The 'regular" SL 4 is $5,500.

Originally Posted by mpre53
If DuraAce was original spec for the bike, he paid well north of 5 grand for it, I would think. Doesn't matter whether it's SL 3 or SL 4. You won't know the difference when riding it. If it has only been lightly ridden (and assuming that your friend never crashed it and isn't trying to sucker you into buying a damaged bike) 2 grand is a steal, with one caveat: make sure that it fits you.

Today's S-works Roubaix with DuraAce has an MSRP of $8,500, for comparison. The 'regular" SL 4 is $5,500.
My guess its original street value was more like $4500-5000. Still, $2k is a heckuva deal if it's the right size.

Yes, $2k is a steal indeed. This is why I'm jumping on buying it before he changes his mind. The bike is my size because we are pretty much the same height. My friend is around 5'4 and I'm 5'3. The bike is an XS.

My friend is not a cyclist at all. He has the habit of getting into a really expensive hobby and then two months later will get into something else. He rode the bike about five times. He is selling the bike to me because he needs the funds to buy something else to fuel his bad habits.

I'm getting the bike today. Can't wait for the weather here in NYC to get a little warmer and put a lot mileage on this bike.......

GOOOOAAAL!

50's tomorrow (but wet)
mid 40's Sunday (and sunny)