Buying a Giant - Rincon v Yukon v iguana - or get a GT?

The Shadow

Guest
Hi chaps

My old crappy Mongoose Rockadile recently got nicked and now I am loking to
upgrade.

I figured the Yukon would be just the ticket, but in Australia (at least at
the LBS where NRMA put the store credit) there are no more 05s. Now I know
what you will say, got the Iguana for sure, but in Australia, the bike
consistently costs $1150 compared to $700 for the Yukon, which I am sure you
will agree is a ridiculous difference even with the Hayes hydraulic disc
brakes.

So I actually find myself looking at the Rincon, which is about $500 and
doing mega upgrades. and yes, I know I can't put discs for back brakes on
the Rincon. Why am I looking at a bike that is so basic? Because until the
Giant 06 range comes out to this LBS (probably not for friggin months), I
have absolutely no bike.

Finally, they DO have GTs in stock. I have seen very few reviews of GT
bikes - Giant really is the most stocked in Australia I reckon. I could get
a GT Avalanche/Chucker and upgrade from the V brakes i guess.

My question to you fellas is, what would you do? Is the Rincon far crappier
than the Yukon? Is the Iguana really worth than $450 more than the Yukon?
(even with finagling at the store I doubt I could get it much lower)

Ky

SuperCujo

Guest
The only real difference btween the 05 Rincon's and Yukon's is the
front shocks and drivetrain. The frames are the same (Yukon may have
disc brake tabs).

I have an 05 Rincon and for mild off road stuff it is pretty good.
Front shock could do with an upgrade but it isn't urgent.

jem

Guest
The Shadow wrote:
> Hi chaps
>
> My old crappy Mongoose Rockadile recently got nicked and now I am loking to
> upgrade.
>
> I figured the Yukon would be just the ticket, but in Australia (at least at
> the LBS where NRMA put the store credit) there are no more 05s. Now I know
> what you will say, got the Iguana for sure, but in Australia, the bike
> consistently costs $1150 compared to $700 for the Yukon, which I am sure you
> will agree is a ridiculous difference even with the Hayes hydraulic disc
> brakes.
>
> So I actually find myself looking at the Rincon, which is about $500 and
> doing mega upgrades. and yes, I know I can't put discs for back brakes on
> the Rincon. Why am I looking at a bike that is so basic? Because until the
> Giant 06 range comes out to this LBS (probably not for friggin months), I
> have absolutely no bike.
>
> Finally, they DO have GTs in stock. I have seen very few reviews of GT
> bikes - Giant really is the most stocked in Australia I reckon. I could get
> a GT Avalanche/Chucker and upgrade from the V brakes i guess.
>
> My question to you fellas is, what would you do? Is the Rincon far crappier
> than the Yukon? Is the Iguana really worth than $450 more than the Yukon?
> (even with finagling at the store I doubt I could get it much lower)
>
> Ky

I still get a kick out of the mental image of a biker riding a giant iguana.

Stinky

Guest
On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:45:46 GMT, "The Shadow"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi chaps
>
>My old crappy Mongoose Rockadile recently got nicked and now I am loking to
>upgrade.
>
>I figured the Yukon would be just the ticket, but in Australia (at least at
>the LBS where NRMA put the store credit) there are no more 05s. Now I know
>what you will say, got the Iguana for sure, but in Australia, the bike
>consistently costs $1150 compared to $700 for the Yukon, which I am sure you
>will agree is a ridiculous difference even with the Hayes hydraulic disc
>brakes.

<snip>

Throw in the extra $$$ and get the iguana. If you buy cheap, you buy
twice!

NO GT is owned by a furiture company from the great
white north Canada. And Hans Rey is still on a GT. The GT Clucker looks
heavy duty one I seen.

Stinky wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:04:46 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > NO GT is owned by a furiture company from the

great
> >white north Canada. And Hans Rey is still on a GT. The GT Clucker

looks
> >heavy duty one I seen.

> One you seen? You can good grammar?

Another newb (f)lames Crazy's posting style.

Dumbass.

E.P.

JD

Guest
Stinky wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:04:46 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > NO GT is owned by a furiture company from the

great
> >white north Canada. And Hans Rey is still on a GT. The GT Clucker

looks
> >heavy duty one I seen.

> One you seen? You can good grammar?

Wow, a grammar flame against our pal crazy. How unoriginal. We gotta
love your "handle" though because you are either PigPen's alter ego, or
you ride kona garbage.

JD