Buying a Kona slot for $10K?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by John Hardt, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. John Hardt

    John Hardt Guest

    Tags:

  2. Kris Estes

    Kris Estes Guest

  3. Swanger

    Swanger Guest

    "Kris Estes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If we are all lucky enough, maybe NBC will do a feature story on the
    people
    > willing to pay the$10K. That would be so inspiring.

    NBC would only do a feature if, on top of buying an ebay spot, the buyer also had some kind of
    heart throb story. "My yacht was capsized in a storm that was bigger than anything seen in the
    movies and killed my diseased Jamaican half son". "I scratched my Rolex to hell". "The dinner
    lobster jumped from boiling water and burnt then killed my autistic three legged Poodle".

    Is it possible to bandit the IMH?

    Rick Swanger

    <http://www.triathletemag.com/story.cfm?story_id=4668&departmentid=68&public
    > > ationID=46>

  4. Witheld

    Witheld Guest

    "Swanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <Snippage>

    > Is it possible to bandit the IMH?
    >
    > Rick Swanger

    If you are serious...

    Not that I am endorsing it, but I have witnessed bandits at IMH. However, there are folks who have
    worked hard (and paid) for the opportunity to line up.

    IMO it would be an outrage if a bandit put themselves in a position to interfere with a bona fide
    participant - - say nothing of their "right" to be there in the first place.

    There are alternatives: I think the locals make opportunities for folks to cover the course at other
    times, if that is your personal objective.

    In fact, the Queen-K is heavily used by cyclists (triathletes) in the week preceding the race. Just
    remember to think through (and fund) your own support strategy.

    rsquared

    P.S. - I have heard that a quarter of the Boston Marathon field is "bandit".

  5. Swanger

    Swanger Guest

    "Witheld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Swanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <Snippage>
    > >
    > > Is it possible to bandit the IMH?
    > >
    > If you are serious...

    I'm not even bandit material. About the only way I'd ever make it is to vulunteer or gain entry
    with one of those celebrity slots. When I "dress up" I've been told that I strongly resemble
    Barbra Bush.

    Rick (almost famous) Swanger

    > Not that I am endorsing it, but I have witnessed bandits at IMH. However, there are folks who have
    > worked hard (and paid) for the opportunity to line up.
    >
    > IMO it would be an outrage if a bandit put themselves in a position to interfere with a bona fide
    > participant - - say nothing of their "right" to be there in the first place.

    > There are alternatives: I think the locals make opportunities for folks to cover the course at
    > other times, if that is your personal objective.
    >
    > In fact, the Queen-K is heavily used by cyclists (triathletes) in the week preceding the race.
    > Just remember to think through (and fund) your own support strategy.
    >
    > rsquared
    >
    > P.S. - I have heard that a quarter of the Boston Marathon field is "bandit".

  6. Bandits like to make me stick 'em up. Do you ever stick up?

    Fr. Guido

    [email protected] (Witheld) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Swanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>... <Snippage>
    > >
    > > Is it possible to bandit the IMH?
    > >
    > > Rick Swanger
    >
    > If you are serious...
    >
    > Not that I am endorsing it, but I have witnessed bandits at IMH. However, there are folks who have
    > worked hard (and paid) for the opportunity to line up.
    >
    > IMO it would be an outrage if a bandit put themselves in a position to interfere with a bona fide
    > participant - - say nothing of their "right" to be there in the first place.
    >
    > There are alternatives: I think the locals make opportunities for folks to cover the course at
    > other times, if that is your personal objective.
    >
    > In fact, the Queen-K is heavily used by cyclists (triathletes) in the week preceding the race.
    > Just remember to think through (and fund) your own support strategy.
    >
    > rsquared
    >
    > P.S. - I have heard that a quarter of the Boston Marathon field is "bandit".

  7. "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bandits like to make me stick 'em up. Do you ever stick up?

    Up and out, three times a day. I don't need no stinkin Bandits,,,,,too many batteries. AC on DC off.

    Oil

    > Fr. Guido
    >
    > [email protected] (Witheld) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Swanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > <Snippage>
    > > >
    > > > Is it possible to bandit the IMH?
    > > >
    > > > Rick Swanger
    > >
    > > If you are serious...
    > >
    > > Not that I am endorsing it, but I have witnessed bandits at IMH. However, there are folks who
    > > have worked hard (and paid) for the opportunity to line up.
    > >
    > > IMO it would be an outrage if a bandit put themselves in a position to interfere with a bona
    > > fide participant - - say nothing of their "right" to be there in the first place.
    > >
    > > There are alternatives: I think the locals make opportunities for folks to cover the course at
    > > other times, if that is your personal objective.
    > >
    > > In fact, the Queen-K is heavily used by cyclists (triathletes) in the week preceding the race.
    > > Just remember to think through (and fund) your own support strategy.
    > >
    > > rsquared
    > >
    > > P.S. - I have heard that a quarter of the Boston Marathon field is "bandit".

  8. David

    David Guest

    where is it on eBay? Thanks, Good Luck! David Never give up, Be satisfied w/ your best, Do unto
    others.....

  9. If you are on the IM email list, they let you know about it. $10K is cheap... if you have to go to a
    few races to qualify, you will spend that much in no time.

  10. Kenneth Burres <[email protected]> wrote:
    >If you are on the IM email list, they let you know about it. $10K is cheap... if you have to go to
    >a few races to qualify, you will spend that much in no time.

    But for that money, you'd get to race a few times and go to a few places. Hopefully one would pick
    events at a place they'd like to visit.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com