Buying a new bike 2004 TREK 5000, Good Idea?

jordon198

Jul 29, 2003
After riding my TREK 1000 for a few years I want a newer, better bike.
I have a chance to buy a 2004 5000 for 1899 from my LBS. My question to you: Is this a good deal, and if you would get something else in the same pric range what would it be? I live in the USA, so if you have a suggestion of a different bike, I would prefer it to be something I could buy in person, and not over the net. I don't mind driving out of town to get the bike, I just want a chance to test anything I get out in person before I buy it.

I ride just for fitness, and probably don't "need" a bike like this, however I want one. Thanks for your input.

jordon198 said:
I have a chance to buy a 2004 5000 for 1899 from my LBS. My question to you: Is this a good deal, and if you would get something else in the same pric range what would it be? I live in the USA, so if you have a suggestion of a different bike, I would prefer it to be something I could buy in person, and not over the net. I don't mind driving out of town to get the bike, I just want a chance to test anything I get out in person before I buy it.

I ride just for fitness, and probably don't "need" a bike like this, however I want one. Thanks for your input.
Very few need or are as good as thier bikes. If you ride it,it's worth it.

Yeah, sounds like a good deal. I think MSRP is 2200. Make sure it truly fits you and maybe ask if the shop would custom fit you if you buy it from them - maybe you need a slightly longer stem or cranks, maybe they'll swap the saddle out for one you prefer. Doesnt hurt to ask, right? Maybe the bike is precisely what you want though and fits spot on. Plus its right there so you can test ride it. Always a good thing.

I think looking at Felt is also a good idea, although I have never ridden one. Generally speaking, you can get better components on a Felt for the same cost on a Trek. If your LBS would order you a Felt and give you that same 10-15% off MSRP, then I would actually be tempted by Felt if it was me. You could either save a lot and get the F65 and it comes with Ultegra 10 at 1399 MSRP - but not carbon. If they give you the same discount, you could look at the F2C, which would give you probably a comparable frame for a couple hundred dollars more, but decked out with DA10 and FSA cranks.

Do you need it? Well, boudreaux raises the good point of course. If you can ride it enough and enjoy it, or hey, even if it simply is something you really want, then sure. Enjoy. ;)

It's a pretty good deal for what you get; I wish you could've had the deal that was presented to me ($1500 for a 2004 model 5000) when I was out in South Dakota. Can't win them all. At any rate, it's a good frame and good parts.

Enjoy!

jordon198 said:

Hey Jordon,

I think it is a good deal. I can't get my lbs to got below $2050 on a 2004 Trek 5000. Even though I found a number of shops (100 miles away or so) selling the 2005 for $1999. Plus, they won't give me the 10% accessories many shops offer when you buy a bike. If they don't budge, I may just deal w/ the inconvenience and drive from Austin to Dallas or Houston. Its ashame they'd take advantage of a situation like that. Especially when accesorries usually have a major markup.

Side question. Did the 2004 5000 come in a slightly different color scheme (ie. a second option) for 2004 than the one posted on the Trek website?

Good luck.

Sean

agnaustin said:
Hey Jordon,

I think it is a good deal. I can't get my lbs to got below $2050 on a 2004 Trek 5000. Even though I found a number of shops (100 miles away or so) selling the 2005 for $1999. Plus, they won't give me the 10% accessories many shops offer when you buy a bike. If they don't budge, I may just deal w/ the inconvenience and drive from Austin to Dallas or Houston. Its ashame they'd take advantage of a situation like that. Especially when accesorries usually have a major markup.

Side question. Did the 2004 5000 come in a slightly different color scheme (ie. a second option) for 2004 than the one posted on the Trek website?

Good luck.

Sean

The 2004 that my LBS has in my size is the black version. I've looked at the thing about 1000 times, but right now I can't remember the logo color, I think it is a silver/grey. They have several that are 58 and 60 cm's that are the white/red/blue Postal livery.

jordon198 said:
The 2004 that my LBS has in my size is the black version. I've looked at the thing about 1000 times, but right now I can't remember the logo color, I think it is a silver/grey. They have several that are 58 and 60 cm's that are the white/red/blue Postal livery.
Well, a few hours after my first post ever on this site...I own my first real road bike. I bought that 2004 Trek 5000. The bike shop sold it to me for $2k even. I know its not the greatest deal, but from where I'm located I think it made the most sense (as opposed to driving all over Texas to save $150). It had a wired bike computer w/ cadence already installed. Not what I would have picked, but the salesman never even mentioned it or charged me for it. Plus they gave me 20% off some Look pedals & SIDI shoes (got down to internet prices). Anyway, I'm sure there are better deals out there. But, I had to draw the line and keep some of my sanity. I knew I wanted this bike the minute I rode it. I too am no expert, and I have a little guilt after buying it. I figure the guilt will last a couple days, if I bought a lesser bike the guilt would have lasted a lot longer (every time I got on it). I'm so happy I got this bike....and I can finally take a break after weeks of researching bikes/accessories I previously knew little about. The 2004 is a beautiful bike...I find myself staring at it. It has temporary residence in my dining room and its the nicest looking thing in there.

Can't wait to take it on its maiden voyage.

Sean

agnaustin said:
Well, a few hours after my first post ever on this site...I own my first real road bike. I bought that 2004 Trek 5000. The bike shop sold it to me for $2k even. I know its not the greatest deal, but from where I'm located I think it made the most sense (as opposed to driving all over Texas to save $150). It had a wired bike computer w/ cadence already installed. Not what I would have picked, but the salesman never even mentioned it or charged me for it. Plus they gave me 20% off some Look pedals & SIDI shoes (got down to internet prices). Anyway, I'm sure there are better deals out there. But, I had to draw the line and keep some of my sanity. I knew I wanted this bike the minute I rode it. I too am no expert, and I have a little guilt after buying it. I figure the guilt will last a couple days, if I bought a lesser bike the guilt would have lasted a lot longer (every time I got on it). I'm so happy I got this bike....and I can finally take a break after weeks of researching bikes/accessories I previously knew little about. The 2004 is a beautiful bike...I find myself staring at it. It has temporary residence in my dining room and its the nicest looking thing in there.

Can't wait to take it on its maiden voyage.

Sean

Congratulations Sean, Hope you enjoy your new bike. Is a picture of your bike your background on your PC yet?

jordon198 said:
Congratulations Sean, Hope you enjoy your new bike. Is a picture of your bike your background on your PC yet?
lol. Not yet. But now that you mention it, its not such a bad idea. :)

Where are you at on your bike purchase?

Just an fyi. I contacted Trek last week and they said no more 2005 5000 models will be sent out until May. Take that for what its worth. I've heard stories of them overestimating the date as to not upset customers if they miss that date. It helped in my decision though, b/c I needed a bike asap to begin training for a ride that's around the corner.

Good luck!

Sean

agnaustin said:
lol. Not yet. But now that you mention it, its not such a bad idea. :)

Where are you at on your bike purchase?

Just an fyi. I contacted Trek last week and they said no more 2005 5000 models will be sent out until May. Take that for what its worth. I've heard stories of them overestimating the date as to not upset customers if they miss that date. It helped in my decision though, b/c I needed a bike asap to begin training for a ride that's around the corner.

Good luck!

Sean

I've been real busy at work, haven't had a chance to go buy it, but I'm off Friday, so I'll get it then. Other factor is that I'm very cheap, and the thought of spending that much on a bike kills me. I want the thing so bad I can't stand it, and I can afford it, but at the same time it kills me to do it. To make matters worse, my wife is encouraging me buy it.

Hilarious...:) I'm in the same boat...time for a new road bike and have to say, the Trek 5000 is a whale of a bike...hard to ask for more. I can afford it as well but hate like hell to pay $2K for a bike. Have been really beating the bushes for a new Reynolds steel bike with Shimano 105 but at the end of the day, you will pay $1.3K or so for a good bike like a Jamis Quest and it still ain't carbon. Then after all said, you will be second guessing yourself for not going Ultegra and carbon for a few hundred more. Then there is re-sale. Dam Trek 5000's on e-bay are no bargain or I would have one by now:cool: ...might as well buy new. All said, the Trek 5000 is a wonderful bike...fast with a great ride and have almost never read a bad review on one...only negative comment I have read is the frame is a bit dead. If you ride on the roads I ride on, dead is a good thing ;) Pull the trigger...don't think you will regret it. I will likely get one as well. Like myself, just make dam sure since you are throwing down $2K, you get the size that will work for you.
Last note on Trek...two humorous things I believe I read on this great board.
One...no snob appeal...so true and two...you will be assimilated. Likely inevitable for me as well....might add it happens for a reason.
Be sure to tell us about your purchase.
Cheers,
George

Ok, today I finally went and rode the 5000. I'm sorry to say that I loved it and have no excuse not to buy, so I did. It might just be me but the bike seems like it does not want to slow down. I can feel a hugh difference in how quickly I can get up to speed as well. The bad news is that the LBS is going to have it until tommrow to change over my computer, and swap out a stem.

If your new to cycling do yourself a hugh favor, go somewhere that is willing to fit you properly. Resist the urge to save a few dollars, ( or pounds, euro's, etc.. ) and support a local guy that will be there to help you out down the road.

Congrats Jordan!!
What size did you get and how tall are you? Did you try any other bikes for comparison?...noticed you went with an '04 model...did you get a good deal?
I agree...ALWAYS when buying a bike have it fitted..many don't of course. Also agree to support your LBS guys. A note, and most know this on the forum...there is huge variability in terms of what size LBS's recommend as best fitment...many try to put riders on too small a bike.
Sounds like you had yours tweaked by changing out a stem.
Congrats again...I too will be getting a bike in the spring...gonna hold out for an '05 model.
Cheers,
George

I'm 5' 8" , and went with a 54cm, when I was fitted, they said that I was right between a 52 and 54. I rode both and think that the 54 felt the best.

I think that I ride a little more upright than the average person, so I like the stem to be shorter than it probably should be.

I went with the 2004 for price alone, it saved me about $400.00. As far as trying other bikes I have a confession: When I bought my first bike ( TREK 1000 ) I went with TREK soley based on Lance riding one. I looked at Giant as well but went with the Trek. When I first bought it, Trek was the only name that I really knew, and I guess their millions in sponsership paid off.

My LBS carries Colnago, and if I won the lottery I'd get a C50, so I'm not a total victim of advertising. And yes, I need a C50 even less than I need a Trek 5000.

hear ya brother...an honest man :) You got a good deal on that '04 and don't think there is much different between '05's. Honestly, I agree with you about the Trek name...the company has a solid reputation for a reason...they are very good bikes. I likely will buy one as well. Just don't know if I want a bit more of an upright rider like the Pilot or the lower slung 5000. Could very well be a 5000 after I try and get a ride on each.
Pretty exciting to get a new bike as nice as the 5000...enjoy it.
Cheers,
George