Buying a new bike, what size...this is easy

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
i am buying an entry level road bike (my first road bike) and it is available in the following sizes:

46cm

coz its entry level the sizes are restricted

i am 5'9...

i was thinking 50cm?

cheers

I would say 50 and/or 53 cm : 5ft 9inch :
try both sizes before you buy, would be my advise.

I am 6ft 1inch and I cycle 58cm (23 inch frame) : but I tested several 58cm frames and not all 58cm frames felt the same.

So to be sure test a couple of 50 and/or 53cm frames before you part with the cash.

thanks, the bike is coming from a mail order company so maybe i should phone them.

the bike comes in two options..

Shimano Sora group or for £50 extra it has Campag Xenon.
is the Campag worth the extra 50 quid?

also, i forgot to mention included in the £50 is an upgrade from Bianchi Alu forks to Carbon ones.

limerickman said:
I would say 50 and/or 53 cm : 5ft 9inch :
try both sizes before you buy, would be my advise.

I am 6ft 1inch and I cycle 58cm (23 inch frame) : but I tested several 58cm frames and not all 58cm frames felt the same.

So to be sure test a couple of 50 and/or 53cm frames before you part with the cash.

MountainPro said:
i am buying an entry level road bike (my first road bike) and it is available in the following sizes:

46cm

i am 5'9...

i was thinking 50cm?

cheers

I would say a 53 is good for you, that is what I ride. If the top tube is 54 cm then it should be about right, however some frame builders measure differently.
A 54 cm TT with a 54 cm measure from center BB to top of seat tube should be close.
I am glad you are coming over to the dark side of cycling. You will discover the incredible power of the dark side.

cheers,

its a Bianchi (of course) and i just phoned the company, Evans cycles and the guy there said that he reccommended a 57cm for a 5'9. !

i'll just go for the 53. i trust you guys more.

any thoughts on the Xenon/Sora dilema?

Being an mtber i am kinda curious and intrigued about buying into Campy since they dont make mtb components. It would make a nice change from the Shimano stuff we are forced into buying.

jhuskey said:
I would say a 53 is good for you, that is what I ride. If the top tube is 54 cm then it should be about right, however some frame builders measure differently.
A 54 cm TT with a 54 cm measure from center BB to top of seat tube should be close.
I am glad you are coming over to the dark side of cycling. You will discover the incredible power of the dark side.

MountainPro said:
cheers,

its a Bianchi (of course) and i just phoned the company, Evans cycles and the guy there said that he reccommended a 57cm for a 5'9. !

i'll just go for the 53. i trust you guys more.

any thoughts on the Xenon/Sora dilema?

Being an mtber i am kinda curious and intrigued about buying into Campy since they dont make mtb components. It would make a nice change from the Shimano stuff we are forced into buying.

Campy/Shimano ?
I am loathe to get in to the debate - for all practical purposes, the differences
are overplayed, I think.

Campy being around longer, there is a certain snob value but in practical terms there's the same.
Personally I prefer campy - but I have a bike with shimano too and I like it
as well.
(I know someone is going to come along and swear that one or either of them is great/**** : I can only give u my view).

As for the sizing, JE Evans, you're buying from ? They're reputable but just make sure that what you buy, fits, MP.
A lot of bikes are advertised at Xsize but when you sit on them you realise that the size is incorrect.

I have a Bianchi listed as 58cm - except that it's not 58cm, it's 59cm.

I would know the difference immediately if I sat on a 58cm Bianchi.

I'm 5'8" with 30 inch inseam and ride a 54cm Orbea. At 5'9" I'd be looking at the 53 or the 55cm. Is there no way to test ride the bike before buying? Or at least something with the same or very similar geometry?

Can you give us a link to a pix or the geometry?

Is the frame a compact?? Any slope in the top tube? Seat tube angle?? Be careful here.

My road bike is 53cm, however, I made the mistake of buying a compact frame bike sized "53cm", way too big! The top tube was 58.5cm!! I had to sell it!!! :eek:

Ask the vendor for stand over heights, and determine which bike sizes give you enough space between the top tube and the tender areas...

This is probably a more meaningful number than height, since we are all a little different.

I am 6' with a 32+ inch inseam and would guess that the 57 they suggested for you would be good for someone my height.

btw,

do campy xenon have sti? gear shifters and brake lever combined in one unit.

if not, how do you change gear? its not of those old fashioned frame mounted shifters are they??:(

MountainPro said:
btw,

do campy xenon have sti? gear shifters and brake lever combined in one unit.

if not, how do you change gear? its not of those old fashioned frame mounted shifters are they??:(

LOL !!! STI means "Shimano Total Integration" Campy for sure does'nt have that!!!!!.

I'd guess 90% of blokes your height would take a 55 over a 53.

Cheers.

My loaner bike awaits you iin the SF Bay Area... it's a 55, and has a compact crank for your type.

Looking at the pix, the frame style is similar to my 53cm Felt. I am 170cm and it is a half size big, for a reason, seat post angle, I like em steep.

My suggestion is the 55cm, for your height. :cool:

If you are coming at this from a MTB background, consider a Triple Crankset. :)

gclark8 said:
Looking at the pix, the frame style is similar to my 53cm Felt. I am 170cm and it is a half size big, for a reason, seat post angle, I like em steep.

My suggestion is the 55cm, for your height. :cool:

If you are coming at this from a MTB background, consider a Triple Crankset. :)
many thanks, but i'll leave the triple crank and take the double, i am pretty sure i'll adapt to the big ring without too much trouble. i wont be taking it off road anyway..:D

Cheers mate,

we may be travelling back to Cali in the summer or 06. I have an appointment in San Jose and some friends to catch up on. I may see you there.

the cranks on my mtb are 175mm. are the ones on road bikes usually longer?

DiabloScott said:
LOL !!! STI means "Shimano Total Integration" Campy for sure does'nt have that!!!!!.

I'd guess 90% of blokes your height would take a 55 over a 53.

Cheers.

My loaner bike awaits you iin the SF Bay Area... it's a 55, and has a compact crank for your type.

DiabloScott said:

see? you learn something new every day....i take it that the bike wont have spd pedals either then.

so smarty pants, how do xenon campys shift?

So i have ordered it. Its a different bike that the one i showed earlier. Its a Bianchi Via Nirone Campy Xenon in 2005 Liquigas/Bianch team colours.

The rear stays and forks are carbon and the rest of the bike is alu. Should be a fun Christmas...

here it is...

finally i join the road bike squad...

MountainPro said:

46cm

i am 5'9...

i was thinking 50cm?

cheers

try this : inside leg in cm x 0,65
ie 83,5 x 0,65 = 54,27 and round up to 55 ( this is me by the way ) if half way between sizes go for the larger UNLESS you have very long legs and a short back .

MountainPro said:
So i have ordered it. Its a different bike that the one i showed earlier. Its a Bianchi Via Nirone Campy Xenon in 2005 Liquigas/Bianch team colours.

The rear stays and forks are carbon and the rest of the bike is alu. Should be a fun Christmas...

here it is...

finally i join the road bike squad...

Get the razor ready. It's shavin time!

MountainPro said:
so smarty pants, how do xenon campys shift?

Cable pull with the inside lever, cable release with the little thumb thingy ;)

What size frame did you wind up getting? It's important to know whether or not you took my last bit of advice. Is that a semi-sloping frame? If so you can err on the large side.

Road bike cranks are usually shorter than MTB cranks for the same person - 170mm would be the conventional choice for guys your height, 172.5 wouldn't be too big. Spinners tend to like 'em a little shorter, big gear mashers a little longer.