Buying a new bike

The 13th Man

Guest
Sick of paying out on ludicrous unleaded fuel prices (and all the other costs of motoring) and
wanting to get fit, I've decided to buy myself a bike. The last time I bought myself a bike was
1988, so understandably I'm not terribly au fait with what's around today! It seems like a lot has
changed since the days when you either had a "racer" or "bmx" and everything was Raleigh or Peugeot!

I was hoping for some general advice (or perhaps pointers as to good places to look online) in terms
of what type of bike I should look for and possibly makes and models. I intend to use the bike
mainly for whizzing around town. I can't see myself wanting to go off-road. I see so many bikes with
front suspension nowadays and some with rear suspension too - what are the advantages of the various
combinations of front and front/rear suspension on a bike?

I am looking to spend £350ish - is this enough to get me a decent quality (light) bike? I don't mind
spending a bit more if need be.

What about other things like lights and locks? Any recommendations there? I'd be really grateful for
advice, especially where to buy from in the Cardiff area.

Cheers

The 13th Man wrote:
> Sick of paying out on ludicrous unleaded fuel prices (and all the other costs of motoring) and
> wanting to get fit, I've decided to buy myself a bike. The last time I bought myself a bike was
> 1988, so understandably I'm not terribly au fait with what's around today! It seems like a lot has
> changed since the days when you either had a "racer" or "bmx" and everything was Raleigh or
> Peugeot!
>
> I was hoping for some general advice (or perhaps pointers as to good places to look online) in
> terms of what type of bike I should look for and possibly makes and models. I intend to use the
> bike mainly for whizzing around town. I can't see myself wanting to go off-road. I see so many
> bikes with front suspension nowadays and some with rear suspension too - what are the advantages
> of the various combinations of front and front/rear suspension on a bike?
>
> I am looking to spend £350ish - is this enough to get me a decent quality (light) bike? I don't
> mind spending a bit more if need be.
>
> What about other things like lights and locks? Any recommendations there? I'd be really grateful
> for advice, especially where to buy from in the Cardiff area.
>
> Cheers

For what you want things haven't much changed since last time you bougth a bike.

If you're not going off-road you don't need suspension - front or rear. It only adds weight.
Narrower tyres are lighter.

When I lived in Cardiff (20 years ago) Reg Braddick in Broadway was the dealer to go to and looking
at their website it seems that they still have an excellent range. (Look at the price lists, there's
more information than under the product information.)

http://www.regbraddickcycles.com/

I think it's generally true that you get what you pay for with bikes. Set yourself a budget and ask
the guy in the shop for advice.

Where do you live in Cardiff? If you live on the top of Rumney or Penylan Hills you want a decent
set of gears! :)
--
Michael MacClancy

On 17 Feb 2003 13:13:36 -0800, [email protected] (The 13th Man) wrote:

>Sick of paying out on ludicrous unleaded fuel prices (and all the other costs of motoring) and
>wanting to get fit, I've decided to buy myself a bike.

Is the right answer :)

The trusty Dawes Horizon is a good place to start - www.dawescycles.com

>I see so many bikes with front suspension nowadays and some with rear suspension too - what are the
>advantages of the various combinations of front and front/rear suspension on a bike?

At the low end of the range, very little. It adds weight, eats power and gives little back. Top end
full-sus bikes (especially Moultons) are a boon to mankind, though :)

In general at sub-£400 mark I would definitely be looking for a good quality rigid bike, nothing
with suspension. But I am a bit of a Luddite (said the man with a recumbent bike - I'm not *always*
a Luddite).

>I am looking to spend £350ish - is this enough to get me a decent quality (light) bike?

Yes, I would say so. A trip to your local bike shop *without* the wallet is a good start; ask for
bikes at under £300 and see what they have. You'll need some spare cash for.....

>What about other things like lights and locks? Any recommendations there? I'd be really grateful
>for advice, especially where to buy from in the Cardiff area.

For round town, Cateye do a nice set with a halogen front light and the TL-AU100 BS Approved
LED rear light. Good value. Add a second Cateye LED rear light (one steady, one flashing,
preferably on the axis of the bike so they are vertically more or less in line as viewed from
the back of the bike)

You can upgrade later, but this is adequate (and legal) for town riding. Always be legal - lawyers
are weasels. Now add a high-viz vest and a decent pair of gloves. Helmets are optional (they work in
some situations and not in others - buy one if it makes you more likely to ride the bike).

A pound says there have been dozens of replies before this reaches your ISP. There's nothing we like
better around here than spending someone else's money :-D

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

x-no-archive: yes The 13th Man wrote:

> S and possibly makes and models. I intend to use the bike mainly for whizzing around town. I can't
> see myself wanting to go off-road. I see so many bikes with front suspension nowadays and some
> with rear suspension too - what are the advantages of the various combinations of front and
> front/rear suspension on a bike?

For road no suspension at all though you could go for a suspension seat post to add comfort.

> I am looking to spend £350ish - is this enough to get me a decent quality (light) bike? I don't
> mind spending a bit more if need be.

Should be Ok especially if you can still find last years models but but late for that

> What about other things like lights and locks?

The real change is in lights.

For back light go for an led such as here
http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/Cateye_TL__LD_600_Tail_Light_545.asp

Front lamps are more complicated

If just riding in well light urban streets go for
http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/Cateye_HLEL_200_608.asp

Or

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/Cateye_HLEL_300_570.asp

Or similar from other manufactories (Most of my light are from cateye which is more about LBS I
visit than them being better than any other)

For unlit lanes and streets http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/Cateye_RC_220_543.asp

IF going for above style I think other makes offer better value for money ie have better batteries.

Or if you do not like external batteries

http://www.bikedock.co.uk/itemdisplay.asp?code=catihl1600lght

For lock Kryptonite seam ok.

http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/product_list.asp?TypeID=458

Peter

Peter Simons <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes
...snip >

> For road no suspension at all though you could go for a suspension seat post to add comfort.

I've never ridden a sus bike myself but from what I've seen the sus seatpost riders seem to expend
all their energy just bobbing up & down & looking ... well .(I'm gonna get flamed for this) .....
silly really!

Russell (wimping it in the cage tomorrow coz -4c is just toooooooo cold for me!) brrrr.