Buying a new helmet

Cycler6n

Jan 5, 2007
I'm buying a new one, looking at the Giro Atmos. Is it good? Whats a good price for it?

Both Nasbar and Performance Bicycle have it on sale for $135 U.S. Looks like a first rate Pro Caliber helmet. It features inmold bonded construction with carbon fiber reinforcement.

Any good? That depends on you and your needs. Even a $20 Bell from Wallmart has to pass the same safety standards as a minimum to be sold as your Giro.

thx, I'm not gonna get a 30 dollar helmet, not as safe, the atmos is Giro's highest helmet, and for 135, what a deal!

Cycler6n said:
thx, I'm not gonna get a 30 dollar helmet, not as safe, the atmos is Giro's highest helmet, and for 135, what a deal!
easy moneybags ;) it was just a suggestion. from my understanding it is an 80 dollar helmet that is marked down because the model is a few years old, but that's beside the point. i'm a n00b, so could you elaborate on how the the more expensive helmet is safer than the one i'm looking at? This is an honest question, sarcasm aside. I would like to purchase a good helmet as well, perhaps you could sway me.

I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference between them as far as crash safety is concerned. Perhaps the thin plastic shell is a bit stronger on the higher priced helmet, but this really isn't nearly as important as the density of the polystyrene bead foam that makes the bulk of said headgear. Then, I'd say, comes the retention system.

It is the foam that absorbs the energy from a crash, not the plastic cover. And the foam does this by crushing/displacing. Very like "crumple zones" in cars. In the event of a crash, they're both equally junk. That is, they still both need to be replaced. They do both have to meet minimum standards as far as energy absorbtion goes, but this does not mean that they are not allowed to exceed such standards. Perhaps the spendier helmet can absorb more energy than the lesser priced one. Perhaps, it doesn't. Insofar as I can tell, there isn't any place one can look to determine how much energy any given helmet can absorb or how well it did in various crash tests or how well one fared against another.

I'd get the one that feels better on your head and has the largest vents. The best helmet won't be worn if it is uncomfortable and if it doesn't or cannot be made to fit properly, it won't be any benefit. Big vents are a plus if you ride in hot weather. Visors are nice, too.

Their are safety reports on the net if you do a search. Some of the more exspensive helmets have thinner webs so are they more safe? Some have catch points in the event you are sliding on the pavment(god forbid).http://www.helmets.org/helmet07.htm

Dan

Cycler6n said:
I'm buying a new one, looking at the Giro Atmos. Is it good? Whats a good price for it?
i'm sure for nearly 200 dollars, that this is a fine helmet. i am wondering what appeal such an expensive piece has to you?

i understand why you want to have the best, i too act like this about stuff (i think most do), aber i have found helmets at ****'s sporting goods or some other store like that look just as good and also the price is much lower. i suggest you shop around. you will go the same speed in a 30 dollar hardhelmet vs a 300 dollar one. however this is not correct for your wheels. so i would spend money where it counts (unless of course you have tons, then you can pick up a few of these nice helmets. i live in the upstate ny area too we can share :p )

well, I've been thinking, I've found a good specialized helmet for 60 bucks, and as someone said above, they all have to go through a test first. So 60 bucks, or 175, so I'll buy the cheaper one, it's safe too, and I'll have a lot more cash to buy other stuff for my bike, thx to all!