Buying A New Or Second Hand Bike

Top Dog

May 30, 2007
Which is best to buy a new or second hand mountain / road bike and what are the best brands to look out for

When buying a second hand bike what do you check for on the bike to be sure that you are not buying a defective / poor quality bike

Things to consider:
Budget- What can you afford. If you can afford new then why not new.
Fit- Maybe the most important thing to consider is getting a frame that fits your anatomy.
Components: Vary in performance and weight according to price. I advise not geeting components so old whereas repair parts are hard to come by or hard to match up.
Name brands: There are many good frames and even more opinions on which is best.
What kind of riding am I doing: Touring, racing, mountain biking, etc. You may start out on a mountain bike and end up on a road race frame but I suggest making a educated guess on what you will be doing for the next year.
It is always a good idea to look to a reptuable bike shop for advise.

i think the one you need and suits you is the best brand ,there is no best ,i think,and if you want to buy a mountain bike ,if you can afford,why not buy a new one ?second ones are not the best choice .this one for $ 75.general mountain bikes are almost around this price,mine is $80 bought it half a year ago online.but i don't use it often ,so it still looks new now.to buy a bike,i think the most important thing is that the shape and model you like .good luck,hope you will find your fav.