Buying a new racing bike

Duracellis

Apr 19, 2006
I’ve been riding my dad's old bike (he used to be a racer about 20 years ago. the bike is in pretty good condition [an old eddy merckx steel frame with campagnolo components. top of the line bike back then and still pretty good]) I’ve been riding for 3 years now and am planning to race a seriously. I’m interested in buying a new bike for racing. I have a price range between $1000 and $2000 however in between is preferable (use kids don’t get much at McD's)

I've been eyeing cervelo a little but one of my friends said their prices are a little inflated b/c of the brand name. Most of my other cycling friends have opus bikes and like them a lot (2 have andante and the other has an allegro)

I do lots of time trials but prefer road races. I can’t afford to have different bikes so it will be used for both.

My dad is leaning toward the newer eddy merckx bikes; having fond memories of his old bike (the one I’m currently using)

I am very open to other brands and time is not that important as the season is here and I wouldn’t be getting it until very late or into next season. Any and all impute would be helpful.

Thanks for your time :)

Would not be a bad idea to look into a Fuji. They are excellent bikes for the money. A Fuji Roubaix RC runs right at $2,000 for an aluminum frame with carbon seat stays, ultegra drivetrain, ritchey comp/pro components, and shimano r-550 wheels.