Buying a new Treadmill HELP! True? Fitness Experience?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Bill, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hello all,

    I had a Trotter 540 treadmill and it has seen better days and was put to rest recently (it had been
    thru alot of use and abuse, i got it free/broken and had it fixed 2 different times), so it is time
    for me to go buy a new one, I went to fitness experience and from what I tried and tested out the
    model I liked the most was the True 540 hrco (with the ortho belt).

    One other important factor of this treadmill was its ability to hold upto 400 lbs because my hubby
    is 390 and needs to get some of his extra weight off too doing some walking on it, I prefer to run
    tho (I am 135lbs).

    Two things I wanted to ask here, one is fitness experience a decent place to buy a treadmill from?
    And are True treadmills half as good as they feel and look (warranty and wear wise).

    My trotter did serve me well and cost wise it was free except its few repairs over the years from
    its previous life at a gym where it was beat to death, I used the heck out of it myself for 3 years
    too and now it will be retired as it needs another belt and the frame has cracked and been repaired
    and the motor is going out too (altho again this trotter was great in its day)...

    So I guess I am just hoping to get some input on this treadmill and or the company itself, can it be
    had cheaper somewhere else? Or do true treadmills not hold up to the test of time or warranty?

    The price for the 540 hrco was $4199 and also included a promotional free exercise bike (which my
    husband really liked and we considered buying him one soon anyways).

    Thanks for any input or suggestions on true or fitness experience.

    Stacey

    Tags:

  2. "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s54>...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I had a Trotter 540 treadmill and it has seen better days and was put to rest recently

    Why buy a readmill when you can buy a much more versatile, and challenging, machine like the
    Nordictrack 910 eliptical trainer? Much better workouts, many more options, great electronics far
    superior to any treadmill. All for around $600 to $800. Go check them out at Sears, or on line where
    I've seen them on sale for as little as $599. Complete, in home, 100%, one year warranty.

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    > Two things I wanted to ask here, one is fitness experience a decent place to buy a treadmill from?
    > And are True treadmills half as good as they feel and look (warranty and wear wise).
    >
    > My trotter did serve me well and cost wise it was free except its few repairs over the years from
    > its previous life at a gym where it was beat to death, I used the heck out of it myself for 3
    > years too and now it will be retired as it needs another belt and the frame has cracked and been
    > repaired and the motor is going out too (altho again this trotter was great in its day)...
    >
    > So I guess I am just hoping to get some input on this treadmill and or the company itself, can it
    > be had cheaper somewhere else? Or do true treadmills not hold up to the test of time or warranty?
    >
    > The price for the 540 hrco was $4199 and also included a promotional free exercise bike (which my
    > husband really liked and we considered buying him one soon anyways).
    >
    > Thanks for any input or suggestions on true or fitness experience.
    >
    > Stacey

    You are getting the free exercise bike, because the store's profit on the 540 covers it many times
    over. It means you may want to negotiate or find the gear for a better price. You can get more
    accurate, but the mfr cost to make was about $1,200, the wholesale about $2,400, retail $4-$5K.

    Before spending $4K+ why not pick up a good used model? Most TM's sit unused in homes. Maybe, get
    one serviced at the start. There are also suppliers to fitness clubs who provide "industrial" mills
    and service them.

    OTOH, if you have money to burn, are in a rush and don't want to bother ...

  4. 390? He's gonna need a model with defib paddles on it. Dial 91 on your phone before the
    workout...........it will save a second or two when you're phoning the paramedics.

  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Miss Anne,

    Gee thanks your support and info to my questions, it will help us in determining which model will
    help us reach our goals alot easier with your input...

    This is Stacey's Husband Bill (the 390 guy)

    oh wait you didn't offer any support or info ... hummmm

    Actually, I wish you the best in life, that is just my nature, sorry you couldn't seem to think of a
    constructive comment besides reading and responding to peoples questions in news groups with
    insults...but hey at least I am not suing McDonalds for making me fat and collecting paychecks from
    the govt due to being so big I cant even fit thru a door, I am working on reducing my weight and
    eating better and so far so good for me...

    And not that it matters (because yes I am 390) but I am also 6' 7' & played football & have weight
    trained for 16 years & muscle does outweigh fat, in fact I still weight train to this day, in
    highschool at 280 I still had a 34 inch waist.

    But after a pretty nasty 4 month car accident where a drunk rear ended me at a red light I suddenly
    found myself laid up and I couldn't get around as easily, I did gain extra weight, couldn't train
    due to pain and yeah I ate bad stuff in a bout of depression I guess due to that whole accident.

    At this time I am fully recovered as of Sept 2003 and am wanting to add more cardio to my current
    4x-5x a week workouts and reduce my current weight and waistline for my future health, I will be
    happy to be back around 280 actually, and I think walking/jogging will help add to that, so to
    replace our home treadmill which my wife used faithfully - she came into this group to ask for a bit
    of help from hoping they might have a few suggestions.

    But rest assured I don't need to hold the phone and dial 911.

    Anyways, I am off to go workout for the day and then watch the superbowl...

    Bill :)

    P.S. I sincerely hope you never have an accident that leaves you in such a state that you are
    basically laid up on a couch for 4 months with back and neck pain, its not fun mentally or
    physically,and rehab has not been easy yet instead of giving up I am going out there everyday
    and doing the best I can with what I have and making the most of it.

    "Miss Anne Thrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    3155.bay.webtv.net...
    > 390? He's gonna need a model with defib paddles
    on it. Dial 91 on your
    > phone before the workout...........it will save
    a second or two when
    > you're phoning the paramedics.

  6. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Bill,

    Save the typing for someone that deserves it....

    Best of luck loosing those pounds.

    Rob.

  7. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Bill, Save the typing for someone that deserves it.... Best of luck loosing those pounds.

    I don't think the pounds require being loosened before losing them. ;)

    cheers, - David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

  8. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > > Bill, Save the typing for someone that deserves it.... Best of luck loosing those pounds.
    >

    > I don't think the pounds require being loosened before losing them. ;)

    I seem too have develooped a hyper active oo finger doont I ?

    Roob

  9. Terry Smith

    Terry Smith Guest

    Here's a link to the Treadmill Doctor's website which seems to give unbiased treadmill reviews.
    Basically the review for the True 540 was a high quality treadmill but overpriced when compared to
    similar treadmills.

    http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/reviews/newtreadmillreviewsindex.htm

    I have a Star Trac 4000 that I purchased used for $1500. It has been great, especially this winter
    which has been has seen a lot of snow. It's build like a tank and designed to be capable of running
    18 hours a day in a health club. I can do speed work (800 meter repeats @ 6:00 pace) and have even
    done up to an 18 miler (once). I previously had a Spirit which was a decent treadmill, it cost $2000
    about 10 years ago. But there is no comparison to a heavy, club quality treadmill. They do take up a
    lot of space, some require a 20Amp circuit or 220V, and are a bitch to move (I have to reomove the
    cosole and arm rails... a 15 minute job) so they are not for every household.

    As far as the costs goes, if you can afford and will use it, why not? People spend $30k on a car,
    $15K on a boat, or $3K for a vacation...

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s54>...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I had a Trotter 540 treadmill and it has seen better days and was put to rest recently (it had
    > been thru alot of use and abuse, i got it free/broken and had it fixed 2 different times), so it
    > is time for me to go buy a new one, I went to fitness experience and from what I tried and tested
    > out the model I liked the most was the True 540 hrco (with the ortho belt).
    >
    > One other important factor of this treadmill was its ability to hold upto 400 lbs because my hubby
    > is 390 and needs to get some of his extra weight off too doing some walking on it, I prefer to run
    > tho (I am 135lbs).
    >
    > Two things I wanted to ask here, one is fitness experience a decent place to buy a treadmill from?
    > And are True treadmills half as good as they feel and look (warranty and wear wise).
    >
    > My trotter did serve me well and cost wise it was free except its few repairs over the years from
    > its previous life at a gym where it was beat to death, I used the heck out of it myself for 3
    > years too and now it will be retired as it needs another belt and the frame has cracked and been
    > repaired and the motor is going out too (altho again this trotter was great in its day)...
    >
    > So I guess I am just hoping to get some input on this treadmill and or the company itself, can it
    > be had cheaper somewhere else? Or do true treadmills not hold up to the test of time or warranty?
    >
    > The price for the 540 hrco was $4199 and also included a promotional free exercise bike (which my
    > husband really liked and we considered buying him one soon anyways).
    >
    > Thanks for any input or suggestions on true or fitness experience.
    >
    > Stacey

  10. Tom Wheeler

    Tom Wheeler Guest

    Not Guilty. 64 years olds hans. mul get it. probe. I am so board.

  11. [email protected] (Tom Wheeler) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Not Guilty. 64 years olds hans. mul get it. probe. I am so board.

    Bored AND insane is a dangerous combo.

  12. Bikeme

    Bikeme Guest

    "Tom Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : Not Guilty. 64 years olds hans. mul get it. probe. I am so board.
    :

    Translation:

    I touched her. I'm 65 years old and put my hands on her mul (not sure of the word used here!). I
    love to get it and I used the probe on her, which gave me a woody...