Buying a new Treadmill HELP! True? Fitness Experience?

Bill

Guest
Hello all,

I had a Trotter 540 treadmill and it has seen better days and was put to rest recently (it had been
thru alot of use and abuse, i got it free/broken and had it fixed 2 different times), so it is time
for me to go buy a new one, I went to fitness experience and from what I tried and tested out the
model I liked the most was the True 540 hrco (with the ortho belt).

One other important factor of this treadmill was its ability to hold upto 400 lbs because my hubby
is 390 and needs to get some of his extra weight off too doing some walking on it, I prefer to run
tho (I am 135lbs).

Two things I wanted to ask here, one is fitness experience a decent place to buy a treadmill from?
And are True treadmills half as good as they feel and look (warranty and wear wise).

My trotter did serve me well and cost wise it was free except its few repairs over the years from
its previous life at a gym where it was beat to death, I used the heck out of it myself for 3 years
too and now it will be retired as it needs another belt and the frame has cracked and been repaired
and the motor is going out too (altho again this trotter was great in its day)...

So I guess I am just hoping to get some input on this treadmill and or the company itself, can it be
had cheaper somewhere else? Or do true treadmills not hold up to the test of time or warranty?

The price for the 540 hrco was $4199 and also included a promotional free exercise bike (which my
husband really liked and we considered buying him one soon anyways).

Thanks for any input or suggestions on true or fitness experience.

Stacey

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<JnWSb.149451$Rc4.1195085@attbi_s54>...
> Hello all,
>
> I had a Trotter 540 treadmill and it has seen better days and was put to rest recently

Why buy a readmill when you can buy a much more versatile, and challenging, machine like the
Nordictrack 910 eliptical trainer? Much better workouts, many more options, great electronics far
superior to any treadmill. All for around $600 to $800. Go check them out at Sears, or on line where
I've seen them on sale for as little as $599. Complete, in home, 100%, one year warranty.

> Two things I wanted to ask here, one is fitness experience a decent place to buy a treadmill from?
> And are True treadmills half as good as they feel and look (warranty and wear wise).
>
> My trotter did serve me well and cost wise it was free except its few repairs over the years from
> its previous life at a gym where it was beat to death, I used the heck out of it myself for 3
> years too and now it will be retired as it needs another belt and the frame has cracked and been
> repaired and the motor is going out too (altho again this trotter was great in its day)...
>
> So I guess I am just hoping to get some input on this treadmill and or the company itself, can it
> be had cheaper somewhere else? Or do true treadmills not hold up to the test of time or warranty?
>
> The price for the 540 hrco was $4199 and also included a promotional free exercise bike (which my
> husband really liked and we considered buying him one soon anyways).
>
> Thanks for any input or suggestions on true or fitness experience.
>
> Stacey

You are getting the free exercise bike, because the store's profit on the 540 covers it many times
over. It means you may want to negotiate or find the gear for a better price. You can get more
accurate, but the mfr cost to make was about $1,200, the wholesale about $2,400, retail $4-$5K.

Before spending $4K+ why not pick up a good used model? Most TM's sit unused in homes. Maybe, get
one serviced at the start. There are also suppliers to fitness clubs who provide "industrial" mills
and service them.

OTOH, if you have money to burn, are in a rush and don't want to bother ...

390? He's gonna need a model with defib paddles on it. Dial 91 on your phone before the
workout...........it will save a second or two when you're phoning the paramedics.

Miss Anne,

Gee thanks your support and info to my questions, it will help us in determining which model will
help us reach our goals alot easier with your input...

This is Stacey's Husband Bill (the 390 guy)

oh wait you didn't offer any support or info ... hummmm

Actually, I wish you the best in life, that is just my nature, sorry you couldn't seem to think of a
constructive comment besides reading and responding to peoples questions in news groups with
insults...but hey at least I am not suing McDonalds for making me fat and collecting paychecks from
the govt due to being so big I cant even fit thru a door, I am working on reducing my weight and
eating better and so far so good for me...

And not that it matters (because yes I am 390) but I am also 6' 7' & played football & have weight
trained for 16 years & muscle does outweigh fat, in fact I still weight train to this day, in
highschool at 280 I still had a 34 inch waist.

But after a pretty nasty 4 month car accident where a drunk rear ended me at a red light I suddenly
found myself laid up and I couldn't get around as easily, I did gain extra weight, couldn't train
due to pain and yeah I ate bad stuff in a bout of depression I guess due to that whole accident.

At this time I am fully recovered as of Sept 2003 and am wanting to add more cardio to my current
4x-5x a week workouts and reduce my current weight and waistline for my future health, I will be
happy to be back around 280 actually, and I think walking/jogging will help add to that, so to
replace our home treadmill which my wife used faithfully - she came into this group to ask for a bit
of help from hoping they might have a few suggestions.

But rest assured I don't need to hold the phone and dial 911.

Anyways, I am off to go workout for the day and then watch the superbowl...

Bill :)

P.S. I sincerely hope you never have an accident that leaves you in such a state that you are
basically laid up on a couch for 4 months with back and neck pain, its not fun mentally or
physically,and rehab has not been easy yet instead of giving up I am going out there everyday
and doing the best I can with what I have and making the most of it.

"Miss Anne Thrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:23992-401D642A-87@storefull-
3155.bay.webtv.net...
> 390? He's gonna need a model with defib paddles
on it. Dial 91 on your
> phone before the workout...........it will save
a second or two when
> you're phoning the paramedics.

Bill,

Save the typing for someone that deserves it....

Best of luck loosing those pounds.

Rob.

"Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Bill, Save the typing for someone that deserves it.... Best of luck loosing those pounds.

I don't think the pounds require being loosened before losing them. ;)

cheers, - David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

> > Bill, Save the typing for someone that deserves it.... Best of luck loosing those pounds.
>

> I don't think the pounds require being loosened before losing them. ;)

I seem too have develooped a hyper active oo finger doont I ?

Roob

Here's a link to the Treadmill Doctor's website which seems to give unbiased treadmill reviews.
Basically the review for the True 540 was a high quality treadmill but overpriced when compared to
similar treadmills.

http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/reviews/newtreadmillreviewsindex.htm

I have a Star Trac 4000 that I purchased used for $1500. It has been great, especially this winter
which has been has seen a lot of snow. It's build like a tank and designed to be capable of running
18 hours a day in a health club. I can do speed work (800 meter repeats @ 6:00 pace) and have even
done up to an 18 miler (once). I previously had a Spirit which was a decent treadmill, it cost $2000
about 10 years ago. But there is no comparison to a heavy, club quality treadmill. They do take up a
lot of space, some require a 20Amp circuit or 220V, and are a ***** to move (I have to reomove the
cosole and arm rails... a 15 minute job) so they are not for every household.

As far as the costs goes, if you can afford and will use it, why not? People spend $30k on a car,
$15K on a boat, or $3K for a vacation...

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<JnWSb.149451$Rc4.1195085@attbi_s54>...
> Hello all,
>
> I had a Trotter 540 treadmill and it has seen better days and was put to rest recently (it had
> been thru alot of use and abuse, i got it free/broken and had it fixed 2 different times), so it
> is time for me to go buy a new one, I went to fitness experience and from what I tried and tested
> out the model I liked the most was the True 540 hrco (with the ortho belt).
>
> One other important factor of this treadmill was its ability to hold upto 400 lbs because my hubby
> is 390 and needs to get some of his extra weight off too doing some walking on it, I prefer to run
> tho (I am 135lbs).
>
> Two things I wanted to ask here, one is fitness experience a decent place to buy a treadmill from?
> And are True treadmills half as good as they feel and look (warranty and wear wise).
>
> My trotter did serve me well and cost wise it was free except its few repairs over the years from
> its previous life at a gym where it was beat to death, I used the heck out of it myself for 3
> years too and now it will be retired as it needs another belt and the frame has cracked and been
> repaired and the motor is going out too (altho again this trotter was great in its day)...
>
> So I guess I am just hoping to get some input on this treadmill and or the company itself, can it
> be had cheaper somewhere else? Or do true treadmills not hold up to the test of time or warranty?
>
> The price for the 540 hrco was $4199 and also included a promotional free exercise bike (which my
> husband really liked and we considered buying him one soon anyways).
>
> Thanks for any input or suggestions on true or fitness experience.
>
> Stacey

Not Guilty. 64 years olds hans. mul get it. probe. I am so board.

"Tom Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Not Guilty. 64 years olds hans. mul get it. probe. I am so board.
:

Translation:

I touched her. I'm 65 years old and put my hands on her mul (not sure of the word used here!). I
love to get it and I used the probe on her, which gave me a woody...