Buying a OCR-1. Good idea?

Dano da Man

Aug 9, 2005
Hello to all my fellow cycling friends,

I Have just started road riding and am borrowing a bike at the moment, I am going to get a bike in about three weeks and was wondering whether the Giant OCR-1 road bike is a good buy. It is about $1500. I was hoping if any one else who has this bike or any one who knows alot about this bike could tell me if it is worth buying.

Thanks Daniel

Big fan of Giant. I have on 01 TCR2, son has a new TCR c0. We see a bunch of OCRs on our group rides and they get very good reviews. They are such a massive company that you get pretty good bang for the buck.

But I'd really suggest trying to ride a few different mfg before spending that kind of cash. Most of these bikes are very nice, Bianchi, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale etc etc. My local shop has demos that riders can take out for long rides. You can tell a lot more that way than zipping through the parking lot.

Take a little time if you can stand it to try a few more. I didn't want the TCR because of the compact geometry, but took it over the weekend and was sold. So you don't know till you give it a go.

There is a review on roadcyclinguk.

I'm in the market for a bike as well, and atm i seem to have the option of a OCR1, Felt F70, or Gitane Mach 1800. Anyone got ideas which one'll give me best performance, cause i'm gettin mixed reviews

AussieJohn said:
I'm in the market for a bike as well, and atm i seem to have the option of a OCR1, Felt F70, or Gitane Mach 1800. Anyone got ideas which one'll give me best performance, cause i'm gettin mixed reviews

I'm partial to the FELT's and Giant second. The FELT F70 is a very good bike and is priced very good also. The FELT's are also a very responsive bike or as I like to say( Fast -n- Nimble). I have 2-Felts, 1-Giant, 1-KHS, 1-Redline and 2-Treks; I like the FELT's the best and you get much more for your money from them then the others. Jim Felt has created some amazing rides and I beleave they edge out the Giants, you might even say they're Giant killers.

thanks for the input. unfortunately, i was a bit quick off the mark and bought one before i got the msg! The deals disappeared anyways cept for a felt which was too small, so in the name of reckless overspendature i hiked up my budget and got a 06 Gitane Mach 2200 for $2200, which didn't seem to bad round sydney. but yeh, thanks!

it depends on where you live, but I won't say the giant is a bad bike.
If you live in Australia BUY AN AUSTRALIAN OR NEW ZEALAND BIKE.
The shogun team has carbon seat stays, seatpost and forks, r550 wheels and an ultegra 10spd groupset for about 2000 $, you can get it for 1600$ at the moment. Team Alex also has a couple of great deals. It does some very nice carbon frames. Cytek is also not a bad option.

It's definetly worth buying because you don't want to just jump right onto the greatest and latest equipment when you first start this sport. Just by the OCR and ride it for at least a year and then, if you want to continue with cycling you can invest some money in a mid-high level bike.

What country are you buying this OCR 1 from? The USA models are different from the one you pictured. I have a USA version year 2004.5 OCR 1 and I put Jandd Commuter Panniers on it. Excellent city commuter bike, and I worked 1 month as a bike messenger using this setup. Biking all day on this bike is a pleasure and it is my most comfortable road bike. This bike only cost me $849 brand new from Performance Bike year end clearance sale special order.

This bike is almost as fast as my 2 other racing bikes, a 2003 Cervelo Soloist Team and a 2005 Kestrel Talon.

OCR1's are absolutely fantastic. I have been commuting to work in Melbourne, Australia with mine for the last 11 months, and I have just passed 5,000km on the speedo. I commute 30km each day, 5 days a week - rain hail or shine and my blue 2004 OCR (Shimano 105) has taken it all in it's stride.

This heavy riding/commuting is what they are designed for. It is still light enough to race even the fastest commuter on the bike trail, and I often get up to 55khp on the flat.

In fact, I have just converted two of my nearby friends who also work into the city to purchase 2005 OCR1's and they now have been bitten by the bug and join me almost every day.

OCR1's are also great for entry level racing in clubs at all levels, where they will provide you with bomb proof durability until you decide you need something a kilo or couple of pounds lighter for serious racing. OCR1's weigh approx 9 kilos or 22 pounds.

I am very very happy with mine. Few tips, keep it serviced at least twice a year and gently hose off dirt, road grime with bio cleaners at least once a week. It is all in the preventative maintenance that will keep you riding the same bike for 10 years.

You cannot go wrong with an OCR1.