Buying a racing bike

I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to have
to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
ripped off?

David Maggs

On 13 Jan 2006 03:04:59 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
>the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to have
>to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
>ripped off?

Ask cyclists in your community what the best local bike shop is and go
their. For your first racing bike, you need the advice a good shop
can provide.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
> the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to have
> to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
> ripped off?

The best way not to get ripped off is to go to your local bike shop and
ask these questions. Today the 'English racer' bike is generally
referred to as a 'road bike' so ask for that. The shifters on the
handlebar are called 'handlebar shifters'.

Your bike shop has a pool of experts in tech and fit which should see
you into the right bike for you. If you give your location, someone here
may be able to make a good bike shop recommendation.

-paul

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
> the handle bars. What is this called

Either STI from shimano or ERGO from Campagnolo.

and how much am I likely to have
> to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
> ripped off?

]A good bike shop that will asses what you need and will ensure the
bicycle fits you. Fit is the most important thing and it needs to be
you sitting on the bicycle, on a stationary trainer with a fit person
looking at you, at the minimum. Just measuring standover with you
straddling the bicycle is NOT a fit. Swapping stems and things to make
sure it fits you.

There are great bicycles that will suit you for less than $1000, but
ensure the shop makes sure it fits.

Dude...

get a Ridley frame... and put all the campy stuff on it....

All set and ready to race!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

I agree. Use your local shop. If there is a fit problem, they can adjust
and maintain your bicycle.
Luigi

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
> the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to have
> to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
> ripped off?

This is the bike I would buy if I was interested in racing:
<http://www.velokraft.com/-nc.htm>.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> writes:

> On 13 Jan 2006 03:04:59 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears
>>on the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to
>>have to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not
>>to get ripped off?

You want what's generally called a "road bike." Shifters on the
handlebars are pretty much standard on road bikes, so that won't
present a problem. The bike will come with either Shimano STI or
Campagbolo Ergo shift/brake levers, sometimes called "brifters."

You can probably pay anywhere from $750 to $5000 without too much
difficulty. Pick your budget in advance, including accesories like
water bottles, shoes, shorts, jersey, etc. And stick to it.

Best place to buy a racing bike is a bike shop that caters to bike
racers. Common, popular brands include Trek, Cannondale, Lemond, etc.

> Ask cyclists in your community what the best local bike shop is and
> go their. For your first racing bike, you need the advice a good
> shop can provide.

Yup.

If you tell us where you live, someone here might be able to make a
specific recommendation.

"Fit is the most important thing and it needs to be you sitting on the
bicycle, on a stationary trainer with a fit person looking at you, at
the minimum."
======================================
Hey Peter, I think you mean a "competent", or "experienced" person
looking at you, don't you?! :)

David, Virtually every decent name brand Road Bike now days does come
with either Shimano STI, or Campagnolo Ergo Shifter incorporated right
into the Hand Brake Levers. It doesn't get any more convenient, or easy
to shift than that.

With the STI System, you'll be just like Mr. Armstrong, or Mr. Hincapie!
lol

It's surprising just how nice a lot of modern day bikes are for not too
much cash outlay.

The Local Bike Shop here in town is a Trek Dealer, and probably the
bigeest selling Bike he carries, is Trek's entry level "1000 Model".
A very sweet road bike IMO, About $525, to $550 out the door, and the
owner of the shop here checks, and does truing-spoke tensioning on both
wheels on the shop truing machine before mounting to the frame.
(Ask if your LBS does this when you buy a bike from them)

He also gives a free one year repair-check-up warrantee with every bike
he sells. Many-mostly all shops do.

If you are just getting into Road Biking, I recommend going a route
similar to this at first, unless you know exactly what you want, or have
your heart set on.

Your LBS will let you try out a number of different bikes. That's
something you cannot do when buying online. Mark

I live in the UK. Could I get a good bike for about £200. Any one
recommend any? Is there a website or magazine that rates how good road
bikes are?

David Maggs