Buying a racing bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jan 13, 2006.

  1. I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
    the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to have
    to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
    ripped off?

    David Maggs

    Tags:

  2. On 13 Jan 2006 03:04:59 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
    >the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to have
    >to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
    >ripped off?

    Ask cyclists in your community what the best local bike shop is and go
    their. For your first racing bike, you need the advice a good shop
    can provide.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  3. Paul Cassel

    Paul Cassel Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
    > the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to have
    > to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
    > ripped off?

    The best way not to get ripped off is to go to your local bike shop and
    ask these questions. Today the 'English racer' bike is generally
    referred to as a 'road bike' so ask for that. The shifters on the
    handlebar are called 'handlebar shifters'.

    Your bike shop has a pool of experts in tech and fit which should see
    you into the right bike for you. If you give your location, someone here
    may be able to make a good bike shop recommendation.

    -paul

  4. [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
    > the handle bars. What is this called

    Either STI from shimano or ERGO from Campagnolo.

    and how much am I likely to have
    > to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
    > ripped off?

    ]A good bike shop that will asses what you need and will ensure the
    bicycle fits you. Fit is the most important thing and it needs to be
    you sitting on the bicycle, on a stationary trainer with a fit person
    looking at you, at the minimum. Just measuring standover with you
    straddling the bicycle is NOT a fit. Swapping stems and things to make
    sure it fits you.

    There are great bicycles that will suit you for less than $1000, but
    ensure the shop makes sure it fits.

  5. noname

    noname Guest

    Dude...

    get a Ridley frame... and put all the campy stuff on it....

    All set and ready to race!!!!!!!!!!

    thanks

  6. Thanks for everyone's advice.

    David Maggs

  7. SAM KAUFMAN

    SAM KAUFMAN Guest

    I agree. Use your local shop. If there is a fit problem, they can adjust
    and maintain your bicycle.
    Luigi

    news:[email protected]

  8. [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears on
    > the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to have
    > to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not to get
    > ripped off?

    This is the bike I would buy if I was interested in racing:
    <http://www.velokraft.com/-nc.htm>.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  9. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> writes:

    > On 13 Jan 2006 03:04:59 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>I'm wanting to buy a racer, but I want one that has the shift gears
    >>on the handle bars. What is this called and how much am I likely to
    >>have to pay? Whers's the best place to by a racing bike so as not
    >>to get ripped off?

    You want what's generally called a "road bike." Shifters on the
    handlebars are pretty much standard on road bikes, so that won't
    present a problem. The bike will come with either Shimano STI or
    Campagbolo Ergo shift/brake levers, sometimes called "brifters."

    You can probably pay anywhere from $750 to $5000 without too much
    difficulty. Pick your budget in advance, including accesories like
    water bottles, shoes, shorts, jersey, etc. And stick to it.

    Best place to buy a racing bike is a bike shop that caters to bike
    racers. Common, popular brands include Trek, Cannondale, Lemond, etc.

    > Ask cyclists in your community what the best local bike shop is and
    > go their. For your first racing bike, you need the advice a good
    > shop can provide.

    Yup.

    If you tell us where you live, someone here might be able to make a
    specific recommendation.

  10. Mark D

    Mark D Guest

    "Fit is the most important thing and it needs to be you sitting on the
    bicycle, on a stationary trainer with a fit person looking at you, at
    the minimum."
    ======================================
    Hey Peter, I think you mean a "competent", or "experienced" person
    looking at you, don't you?! :)

    David, Virtually every decent name brand Road Bike now days does come
    with either Shimano STI, or Campagnolo Ergo Shifter incorporated right
    into the Hand Brake Levers. It doesn't get any more convenient, or easy
    to shift than that.

    With the STI System, you'll be just like Mr. Armstrong, or Mr. Hincapie!
    lol

    It's surprising just how nice a lot of modern day bikes are for not too
    much cash outlay.

    The Local Bike Shop here in town is a Trek Dealer, and probably the
    bigeest selling Bike he carries, is Trek's entry level "1000 Model".
    A very sweet road bike IMO, About $525, to $550 out the door, and the
    owner of the shop here checks, and does truing-spoke tensioning on both
    wheels on the shop truing machine before mounting to the frame.
    (Ask if your LBS does this when you buy a bike from them)

    He also gives a free one year repair-check-up warrantee with every bike
    he sells. Many-mostly all shops do.

    If you are just getting into Road Biking, I recommend going a route
    similar to this at first, unless you know exactly what you want, or have
    your heart set on.

    Your LBS will let you try out a number of different bikes. That's
    something you cannot do when buying online. Mark

  11. I live in the UK. Could I get a good bike for about £200. Any one
    recommend any? Is there a website or magazine that rates how good road
    bikes are?

    David Maggs