Buying a road bike

kandiguy

Jul 7, 2004
I am planning on getting a road bike soon and only will have around 500-600 dollars and was wondering what the best bike in this price would be. Im a 14 year old male and ride quite a bit. I like the Giant OCR 3 and it got editors choice so that would be a good one im sure. I also like the Fuji Finest AL. If you have an opinion about these or another good bike in this price range i would be thankful if you would let me know.

kandiguy said:
I am planning on getting a road bike soon and only will have around 500-600 dollars and was wondering what the best bike in this price would be. Im a 14 year old male and ride quite a bit. I like the Giant OCR 3 and it got editors choice so that would be a good one im sure. I also like the Fuji Finest AL. If you have an opinion about these or another good bike in this price range i would be thankful if you would let me know.

I would suggest that you focus on getting a really good fit rather than the make and model, consider a second hand bike, bikes lose value quickly and you might find something really good a few years old. Check out who is selling what at your local club. Don't be talked into something that doesn't fit. Watch out your probably still growing. Good luck

kandiguy said:
I can recommend the Fuji Finest AL, I ride one and have no complaints. But really all bikes in that price range are going to be about the same, same components and such. Since you posted this in the racing forum I'm assuming that you'll want to race eventually and I would suggest buying something better than Sora components in that case. Sora components are good for the average beginner but suck for racing. The shifters are ackward when trying to shift during sprints (in the drops) due to the thumb levers. The cassette is a 8 speed and it is difficult to find USCF Junior regulation cassettes with the proper gear ratio's (52x14). If you plan on racing in USCF events you'll end up having to replace the cassette or chainring (probably both) and you can expect to spend around an additional $75 in upgrade costs and you'll still have those sora shifters and an 8 speed cassette (less range in gears).

I suggest either saving up your money for something with Shimano 105 (or better) or buying something used. You should be able to find a good used bike with the better components within your price range.

Dan.

BanditManDan said:
I can recommend the Fuji Finest AL, I ride one and have no complaints. But really all bikes in that price range are going to be about the same, same components and such. Since you posted this in the racing forum I'm assuming that you'll want to race eventually and I would suggest buying something better than Sora components in that case. Sora components are good for the average beginner but suck for racing. The shifters are ackward when trying to shift during sprints (in the drops) due to the thumb levers. The cassette is a 8 speed and it is difficult to find USCF Junior regulation cassettes with the proper gear ratio's (52x14). If you plan on racing in USCF events you'll end up having to replace the cassette or chainring (probably both) and you can expect to spend around an additional $75 in upgrade costs and you'll still have those sora shifters and an 8 speed cassette (less range in gears).

I suggest either saving up your money for something with Shimano 105 (or better) or buying something used. You should be able to find a good used bike with the better components within your price range.

Dan.

I agree with you. I will look into that.

-kandiguy

daviddobedoe said:
I would suggest that you focus on getting a really good fit rather than the make and model, consider a second hand bike, bikes lose value quickly and you might find something really good a few years old. Check out who is selling what at your local club. Don't be talked into something that doesn't fit. Watch out your probably still growing. Good luck

I agree with the idea about size over brand and about getting a used bike. I will look into this also. Thanks

-kandiguy

If you are just riding to ride and not racing you have options. For the money you can find a Vintage Lightweight roadbike that would be in great condition. Also the quality of these bikes of the late 70's were of great quality similar to the high end bikes today. You would also be cool and retro among your friends.
There is quite a following for Vintage Lightweigts. Look at the website "Classic Rendezvous" they have bikes for sale. It's worth a look.

heedcase said:
If you are just riding to ride and not racing you have options. For the money you can find a Vintage Lightweight roadbike that would be in great condition. Also the quality of these bikes of the late 70's were of great quality similar to the high end bikes today. You would also be cool and retro among your friends.
There is quite a following for Vintage Lightweigts. Look at the website "Classic Rendezvous" they have bikes for sale. It's worth a look.

-cool, thanks!

-kandiguy

kandiguy said:
-cool, thanks!

-kandiguy
if ur plannin on racing, i'd use the 600 for a down payment, and spend about 300-400 more...i have a giant ocr2...the drivetrain is much better, lighter wheels, better quality stuff pretty much...fuji makes a great bang for the buck bike as well...i payed 909 for my ocr2 after taxes and all...still payin as a matter of fact...