Buying a Second Bike

ADearthOfShores

May 20, 2010
Hi Folks,
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm looking to pick up a second bike some time in the near future, as at this point I only have my Raleigh Venture 3.0 that I've beaten up on rather well biking it through two winters in Buffalo.

I think I'm looking for a road bike. I suppose I'm still somewhat torn as to whether I want a new or a used one. Plus, I really have no idea what I should get. I don't think I want to spend a whole ton on a new one (firstly, I just don't want to spend a ton of money, and secondly I don't want to have to worry about a super expensive bike being stolen).

I guess I'm just looking for general thoughts and advice. I really don't know a ton about bikes, so buying a used one might be kind of suspect for me unless I can completely sure that I'm getting a good deal. But, at the same time, a used one might be cheaper/more economical.

Any responses would be appreciated.

What are you planning to use the second bike for? Are you replacing your current bike with it?

Not really replacing it. I might use it for commuting in the spring/summer/fall, though I'm not sure I want such thin tires for city biking. Is it such a bad thing to have a road bike for commuting? I do see a lot of road bikes around my city, but I've heard it's better to have thicker tires to deal with all the city streets.

But I guess I'm pretty darn sure I want a road bike, seeing as I already have a mountain/hybrid bike.

I use a hybrid, lots of gravel and such on the road. A friend of mine uses a road bike, and he gets a long fine, he does slip occasionally though, so if your roads are quite narrow, it might not be a good idea to suddenly swerve a few inches. As long as it has mounts for a rack a road bike would work fine for commuting. I would go used if you're going to leave it locked up outside, less likely to get stolen, and if it does, you won't cry as much. Hopefully someone else will come along for what brand and model to look for, I'm not very familiar with road bikes. :)

Yeah, I think I'm leaning heavily towards a used one, at this point. I guess I'm not quite ready yet for a shiny new one. =)

I have to still figure out if I'm confortable, stability-wise, commuting on a road bike, though. I'm also curious about upgrading an older bike...

Thanks for your help. =)