Buying a secondhand road bike

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Peter Hains, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. Peter Hains

    Peter Hains Guest

    Hi all,

    my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
    another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
    looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
    and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
    I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
    "hybrid bikes."

    Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
    the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
    somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
    suggestions greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. G'day Peter,

    I don't know where you live but if you have access to any of the second hand
    shops(hock shops) I've often seen quite a few good second hand racer bikes
    around the Sydney metro area with early to mid 90's models.

    In Marrickville Sydney, in Victoria Street near Marrickville Road, on the
    left, there are a few bikes there i seen today, plus another shop in
    Illawarra Road Marrickville,another second hand shop past Woolworths, I seen
    some second hand bikes for sale.

    Also, there are a couple of good second hnad shops in Ingleburn near the
    main street....there are lots of those types of shops around where you can
    buy a racer style bike.

    Most major towns now have one or two second hand hock shops around where you
    can pick up a bike for anywhere between $120 to $300 depending on condition
    and age.

    Also a couple of good hock shops around Rockdale as well.

    Hope this helped you.

    Good luck

    DJ
    "Peter Hains" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
    > another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
    > looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
    > and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
    > I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
    > "hybrid bikes."
    >
    > Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
    > the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
    > somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
    > suggestions greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Peter

  3. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Peter Hains" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
    > another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
    > looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
    > and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
    > I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
    > "hybrid bikes."
    >
    > Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
    > the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
    > somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
    > suggestions greatly appreciated.

    Ebay often has cheap racers that come up ($50 - $200) that you can buy - you
    just need to make sure that you bid on bikes in your area so you can pick
    them up.

    You can also get a good price on "road" bikes - more highly specced bikes.

    Tim

  4. Peter Hains <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Hi all,

    : my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
    : another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
    : looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
    : and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
    : I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
    : "hybrid bikes."

    What size bike are you after?

    Cheerz,
    Lynzz

  5. Fred Nieman

    Fred Nieman Guest

    Peter Hains wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
    > another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
    > looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike."

    I *think* I can see the distinction you are making here between two
    types of curly-bar bike.
    - A "racer" is a faithful (but probably not fail-ful ;-) ) "10-(or 12-,
    or 14-) speed" with a robust frame, wheels and gear system.
    - A "road bike" is some sort of skinny-everything
    ceramic-kevlar-titanium-composite framed (OK, yes I am making that up)
    thing, with 2 millimetre-wide tyres and gear shifters that work by a
    combination of clicking the brake levers and mental telepathy.
    Is that right?

    >I only use the bike to ride to
    > and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.

    You ride to work, and generally around the place. You *are* a serious
    rider, and all power to you.

    > I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
    > "hybrid bikes."
    >
    > Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
    > the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
    > somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
    > suggestions greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Peter

    (I'll leave my whacky conversion things til later and try to be sensible
    here.)

    I don't know where you are, so this may not be any use at all, but...

    If you are one of the 15% of Australians (I guessed 3 million / 20
    million) who live in Melbourne,
    * I'd try Bicycle Recycle, 672a South Rd Moorabbin 3189 first. They are
    completely ace, wonderful, and other words like that.
    * Next stop for me would be the "Trading Post", $1.50 or something at
    the supermarket check-out every Thursday - there will probably be what
    you're looking for after you've read a few issues. (Just ignore the
    fact that you've shelled out $1.50 or something for recycle bin stuffer
    mainly dedicated to 2nd hand cars, gymnasium equipment, 20 year old
    computer stuff, a complete collection of "Woman's Day' from 1968 to
    1973, lop bunnnies or whatever.)
    * Then try Abbotsford Cycles, 27 Swan St Richmond 3121
    * Next stop would be Melbourne Bicycle Centre in Cliftopm Hill and
    Prahran. Their main business is in new "low to medium end" bikes, but
    they do also sell some second-hand bikes.

    (Whacky conversion things rears its ugly following on from this head
    here, but I'm still trying to be sensible...)

    If you want to shell out for a new bike (like you, ahem, said you
    didn't) and get something like your racer, you may want to consider
    either:
    - a Touring Bike ([relatively] heavy, [relatively] slow, but
    indestructible and with them curly handlebars.) They sell them at your
    LBS, but in melb the place to go is Christies on Burwood (i think) Rd,
    Hawthorn), or;
    - buying a Hybrid from your LBS, but if you want to get a "racer" low
    profile, asking them to fit a long, low stem with a narrow flat bar (w/
    bar-ends to give you extra hand positions like on curly bars, and maybe
    even (gasp! areo-bars on a flat bar bike, etc) aero-bars for when it's
    windy or you're on a long flat.

    And if you're from the other 85%?
    Get the Trading Post or equivalent, and scope your LBC and all the other
    bike shops you can find.

    xxx

    another peter

    <--- start whacky conversion thing --->
    Or you could buy a 2nd hand Hybrid or Mountain Bike and stick drop-bars
    on it, if you're feeling handy. Problem is... well, there's so many
    problems...

    Well, to start off, what you would probably want is a 2nd hand Hybrid
    (ie: basically an MTB with "racer" size wheels) and then stick drop-bars
    on it.

    Short answer is: 2nd hand Hybrids = hen's teeth (if it was otherwise I'd
    be riding one (with drop-bars.))
    Nextly, most Hybrids don't have, ahem, "agressive angles", which
    basically means "back wheel close to the pipe that goes from the seat to
    the bit the pedals come out of", so you wouldn't get the "racer"
    manoeuverability or hill-climbing ease.

    And then there's the problem of "retro-fitting" "racer" brake and gear
    levers to a hybrid/MTB...

    Nevertheless, current commuter bike is a Mongoose MTB that new, circa
    1997, would have cost $ 700 or so that I paid $ 140 for, with Campagnolo
    3-speed left and 8-speed right Road (aka Racer) brake/gear shifters that
    I paid $ 250 2nd hand at !Bicycle Recycle! for. Eats up anything I ride
    on. But is damn heavy.

    If you are in Sydney, this (curly-bars+MTB) is the way to go - it'll eat
    up the road. In melb it's a bit overkill - a tourer, or hybrid with
    retro-fitted drop-bars would do me fine... if I had the $, that is.

    </my suggestion.>
    <--- end whacky conversion thing --->

    ps: good luck and allez! with your search for a new bike.

  6. Fred Nieman

    Fred Nieman Guest

    Peter Hains wrote:
    <>
    Heya PH again -
    I am... so... stoopid!

    I forgot to mention that a big prob with fitting curly bars to Hybrid
    bike or MTB frames is that they (Hybrid bike or MTB frames) don't have
    the place on the "down tube" (the bit of your bike frame that goes from
    the pipe the handlebars go into to the bit the pedal crank bitsies go
    into) that racer, aka "road bike", gear shifters are located on.
    (Same goes for if your gear shifters were on the "gooseneck", meaning
    the bit that held the handlebars and stuck out from the short tube that
    held onto the forks that yr front wheel is in.)

    If you stick curly bars on a Hybrid bike or MTB frame, you will have to
    get either:
    - "bar-end shifters" (which make 2nd hand Hybrid bikes look like...
    sorry, can't think of a decent metaphor to superlative "hen's teeth"...
    but I'll sell you my old Shimano 600 "bar-cons" for... a million
    dollars! ;-D )... no, I'm sure you can find them at either you very cool
    LBS or E-bay;
    or,
    - Campagnolo "Ergo" shifters (which 2nd hand make hen's teeth look like
    5 cent coins, now that I've thought of a decent metaphor);
    or,
    - some recent Shimano left-hand-levers with three "clicks"...

    Or possibly any/all on, umm, did I mention E-bay?

    xxx pete "stoopid, as found on e-bay" d

  7. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Most cycle racing club web sites have a for sale section, and quite often
    you can purchase older bikes in good condition for a fraction of new
    purchase price.

    Bicycling Australia also has a web site with a classified section, though I
    just tried their web site and it seems to be down
    (http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com).

    Nick

    "Peter Hains" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
    > another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
    > looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
    > and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
    > I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
    > "hybrid bikes."

  8. On 12/11/03 5:30 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Peter Hains"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
    > another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
    > looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
    > and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
    > I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
    > "hybrid bikes."
    >
    > Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
    > the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
    > somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
    > suggestions greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Peter

    Bugger me - I'm selling my road bike at the moment for $1600.00. Its a
    Cinelli Supercorsa with Campagnolo componentry and Mavic rims. Drop me a
    line if your interested and I'll provide you with a link to pictures of the
    bike and further information.

    Cheers,

    Steve.

  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Peter Hains" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
    > another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
    > looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
    > and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
    > I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
    > "hybrid bikes."

    I've got an old Skansen road bike/racer that I want to sell, if
    you are in Melbourne. I think it's 12 speed (as if I count!)
    with downtube shifters, biopace chainrings, orange and black
    paint, Shimano ES300(?) brakes, relatively new tyres, recently
    replaced cluster and chain. Probably sell ~$150 I guess. I've
    not actually looked at it for a while so condition is ?? until I
    test it out...

    Otherwise, ebay, second-hand shops, www.trading-post.com.au,
    and anywhere else that sells second-hand stuff...

    hippy