Buying a secondhand road bike

Peter Hains

Guest
Hi all,

my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
"hybrid bikes."

Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

G'day Peter,

I don't know where you live but if you have access to any of the second hand
shops(hock shops) I've often seen quite a few good second hand racer bikes
around the Sydney metro area with early to mid 90's models.

In Marrickville Sydney, in Victoria Street near Marrickville Road, on the
left, there are a few bikes there i seen today, plus another shop in
Illawarra Road Marrickville,another second hand shop past Woolworths, I seen
some second hand bikes for sale.

Also, there are a couple of good second hnad shops in Ingleburn near the
main street....there are lots of those types of shops around where you can
buy a racer style bike.

Most major towns now have one or two second hand hock shops around where you
can pick up a bike for anywhere between $120 to $300 depending on condition
and age.

Also a couple of good hock shops around Rockdale as well.

Hope this helped you.

Good luck

DJ
"Peter Hains" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
> another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
> looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
> and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
> I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
> "hybrid bikes."
>
> Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
> the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
> somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
> suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

"Peter Hains" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
> another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
> looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
> and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
> I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
> "hybrid bikes."
>
> Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
> the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
> somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
> suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ebay often has cheap racers that come up ($50 - $200) that you can buy - you
just need to make sure that you bid on bikes in your area so you can pick
them up.

You can also get a good price on "road" bikes - more highly specced bikes.

Tim

Peter Hains <[email protected]> wrote:
: Hi all,

: my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
: another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
: looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
: and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
: I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
: "hybrid bikes."

What size bike are you after?

Cheerz,
Lynzz

Peter Hains wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
> another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
> looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike."

I *think* I can see the distinction you are making here between two
types of curly-bar bike.
- A "racer" is a faithful (but probably not fail-ful ;-) ) "10-(or 12-,
or 14-) speed" with a robust frame, wheels and gear system.
- A "road bike" is some sort of skinny-everything
ceramic-kevlar-titanium-composite framed (OK, yes I am making that up)
thing, with 2 millimetre-wide tyres and gear shifters that work by a
combination of clicking the brake levers and mental telepathy.
Is that right?

>I only use the bike to ride to
> and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.

You ride to work, and generally around the place. You *are* a serious
rider, and all power to you.

> I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
> "hybrid bikes."
>
> Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
> the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
> somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
> suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

(I'll leave my whacky conversion things til later and try to be sensible
here.)

I don't know where you are, so this may not be any use at all, but...

If you are one of the 15% of Australians (I guessed 3 million / 20
million) who live in Melbourne,
* I'd try Bicycle Recycle, 672a South Rd Moorabbin 3189 first. They are
completely ace, wonderful, and other words like that.
* Next stop for me would be the "Trading Post", $1.50 or something at
the supermarket check-out every Thursday - there will probably be what
you're looking for after you've read a few issues. (Just ignore the
fact that you've shelled out $1.50 or something for recycle bin stuffer
mainly dedicated to 2nd hand cars, gymnasium equipment, 20 year old
computer stuff, a complete collection of "Woman's Day' from 1968 to
1973, lop bunnnies or whatever.)
* Then try Abbotsford Cycles, 27 Swan St Richmond 3121
* Next stop would be Melbourne Bicycle Centre in Cliftopm Hill and
Prahran. Their main business is in new "low to medium end" bikes, but
they do also sell some second-hand bikes.

(Whacky conversion things rears its ugly following on from this head
here, but I'm still trying to be sensible...)

If you want to shell out for a new bike (like you, ahem, said you
didn't) and get something like your racer, you may want to consider
either:
- a Touring Bike ([relatively] heavy, [relatively] slow, but
indestructible and with them curly handlebars.) They sell them at your
LBS, but in melb the place to go is Christies on Burwood (i think) Rd,
Hawthorn), or;
- buying a Hybrid from your LBS, but if you want to get a "racer" low
profile, asking them to fit a long, low stem with a narrow flat bar (w/
bar-ends to give you extra hand positions like on curly bars, and maybe
even (gasp! areo-bars on a flat bar bike, etc) aero-bars for when it's
windy or you're on a long flat.

And if you're from the other 85%?
Get the Trading Post or equivalent, and scope your LBC and all the other
bike shops you can find.

***

another peter

<--- start whacky conversion thing --->
Or you could buy a 2nd hand Hybrid or Mountain Bike and stick drop-bars
on it, if you're feeling handy. Problem is... well, there's so many
problems...

Well, to start off, what you would probably want is a 2nd hand Hybrid
(ie: basically an MTB with "racer" size wheels) and then stick drop-bars
on it.

Short answer is: 2nd hand Hybrids = hen's teeth (if it was otherwise I'd
be riding one (with drop-bars.))
Nextly, most Hybrids don't have, ahem, "agressive angles", which
basically means "back wheel close to the pipe that goes from the seat to
the bit the pedals come out of", so you wouldn't get the "racer"
manoeuverability or hill-climbing ease.

And then there's the problem of "retro-fitting" "racer" brake and gear
levers to a hybrid/MTB...

Nevertheless, current commuter bike is a Mongoose MTB that new, circa
1997, would have cost $ 700 or so that I paid $ 140 for, with Campagnolo
3-speed left and 8-speed right Road (aka Racer) brake/gear shifters that
I paid $ 250 2nd hand at !Bicycle Recycle! for. Eats up anything I ride
on. But is damn heavy.

If you are in Sydney, this (curly-bars+MTB) is the way to go - it'll eat
up the road. In melb it's a bit overkill - a tourer, or hybrid with
retro-fitted drop-bars would do me fine... if I had the $, that is.

</my suggestion.>
<--- end whacky conversion thing --->

ps: good luck and allez! with your search for a new bike.

Peter Hains wrote:
<>
Heya PH again -
I am... so... stoopid!

I forgot to mention that a big prob with fitting curly bars to Hybrid
bike or MTB frames is that they (Hybrid bike or MTB frames) don't have
the place on the "down tube" (the bit of your bike frame that goes from
the pipe the handlebars go into to the bit the pedal crank bitsies go
into) that racer, aka "road bike", gear shifters are located on.
(Same goes for if your gear shifters were on the "gooseneck", meaning
the bit that held the handlebars and stuck out from the short tube that
held onto the forks that yr front wheel is in.)

If you stick curly bars on a Hybrid bike or MTB frame, you will have to
get either:
- "bar-end shifters" (which make 2nd hand Hybrid bikes look like...
sorry, can't think of a decent metaphor to superlative "hen's teeth"...
but I'll sell you my old Shimano 600 "bar-cons" for... a million
dollars! ;-D )... no, I'm sure you can find them at either you very cool
LBS or E-bay;
or,
- Campagnolo "Ergo" shifters (which 2nd hand make hen's teeth look like
5 cent coins, now that I've thought of a decent metaphor);
or,
- some recent Shimano left-hand-levers with three "clicks"...

Or possibly any/all on, umm, did I mention E-bay?

*** pete "stoopid, as found on e-bay" d

Most cycle racing club web sites have a for sale section, and quite often
you can purchase older bikes in good condition for a fraction of new
purchase price.

Bicycling Australia also has a web site with a classified section, though I
just tried their web site and it seems to be down
(http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com).

Nick

"Peter Hains" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
> another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
> looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
> and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
> I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
> "hybrid bikes."

On 12/11/03 5:30 PM, in article
[email protected], "Peter Hains"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
> another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
> looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
> and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
> I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
> "hybrid bikes."
>
> Whilst I may well have to go buy a new bike (probably a hybrid given
> the cost of a half decent road bike), I was hoping there would be
> somewhere I'd be able to look for secondhand road bikes. Any and all
> suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

Bugger me - I'm selling my road bike at the moment for $1600.00. Its a
Cinelli Supercorsa with Campagnolo componentry and Mavic rims. Drop me a
line if your interested and I'll provide you with a link to pictures of the
bike and further information.

Cheers,

Steve.

"Peter Hains" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> my failful "racer" is finally beyond repair and I've decided I need
> another bike. My problem is that "racers" no longer exist and I'm
> looking at $1,000+ for a "road bike." I only use the bike to ride to
> and from work and generally around the place, so I'm no serious rider.
> I do not want a Mountain bike and I'd prefer a road bike to the
> "hybrid bikes."

I've got an old Skansen road bike/racer that I want to sell, if
you are in Melbourne. I think it's 12 speed (as if I count!)
with downtube shifters, biopace chainrings, orange and black
paint, Shimano ES300(?) brakes, relatively new tyres, recently
replaced cluster and chain. Probably sell ~$150 I guess. I've
not actually looked at it for a while so condition is ?? until I
test it out...

Otherwise, ebay, second-hand shops, www.trading-post.com.au,
and anywhere else that sells second-hand stuff...

hippy