Buying a touring bike... comments on setup?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mdl, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Mdl

    Mdl Guest

    After a bit of looking, I am deciding to purchase a Marinoni touring bike
    (http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/html/eng_index.asp). Other brands I considered seriously were Bruce
    Gordon and Bilenky. I am choosing the Marinoni as it is well priced in Canada and I think I am best
    off taking my savings and putting them into a nice trip. My proposed configuration is:

    o their 55cm Turismo (sloping top tube... effectively 60cm c-c I believe). I actually prefer a
    sloping top tube for standover height and it brings my bars higher. Apparently I can order with a
    horizontal TT for more money. o Campy Veloce triple (not sure of rear cluster range). Upgrades are
    Ultegra and Centaur. Given they do not use campy hubs, Veloce seems a decent choice. Only preference
    for Shimano would be going to barcons (do they have 9sp bar cons). o Stem. Has some stupid aheadset
    thingy. I am debating asking for a quill stem so I may adjust on the road. Is there any benefit to
    an aheadset? Quill stems seems to be rarer by the day!

    My one treat will be to get some custom racks from Bicycle Specialties here in Toronto to go with
    it. I am looking at light loaded touring (< 1 week) and daily commuting (70km with laptop, clothes,
    etc) with this rig. I debated going to the Ciclo (good for light touring), but I like the longer
    chainstays and better tire clearance with the Turismo.

    Any comments would be appreciated. Thx.

    Tags:

  2. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Looks like a nice bike. It may be difficult to get a quill stem, as they would have to thread the
    steerer tube. Also, 1 1/8" quill stems are very rare (not sure if its 1 1/8 but it probably is).
    Just get the steerer tube on the long side and you can move spacers either above or below the stem
    for adjustment, or get an adjustable stem. I find an aheadsst easier to adjust.

    Barcons may be more reliable for touring, and reduce weight slightly.

    Looks nice - how much was the frame?

    Kyle

    "MDL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > After a bit of looking, I am deciding to purchase a Marinoni touring bike
    > (http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/html/eng_index.asp). Other brands I considered seriously were Bruce
    > Gordon and Bilenky. I am choosing the Marinoni as it is well priced in Canada and I think I am
    > best off taking my savings and putting them into a nice trip. My proposed configuration is:
    >
    > o their 55cm Turismo (sloping top tube... effectively 60cm c-c I
    believe).
    > I actually prefer a sloping top tube for standover height and it brings my bars higher.
    > Apparently I can order with a horizontal TT for more
    money.
    > o Campy Veloce triple (not sure of rear cluster range). Upgrades are
    Ultegra
    > and Centaur. Given they do not use campy hubs, Veloce seems a decent
    choice.
    > Only preference for Shimano would be going to barcons (do they have 9sp bar cons). o Stem. Has
    > some stupid aheadset thingy. I am debating asking for a
    quill
    > stem so I may adjust on the road. Is there any benefit to an aheadset? Quill stems seems to be
    > rarer by the day!
    >
    > My one treat will be to get some custom racks from Bicycle Specialties
    here in
    > Toronto to go with it. I am looking at light loaded touring (< 1 week) and daily commuting (70km
    > with laptop, clothes, etc) with this rig. I
    debated
    > going to the Ciclo (good for light touring), but I like the longer
    chainstays
    > and better tire clearance with the Turismo.
    >
    > Any comments would be appreciated. Thx.

  3. Mdl

    Mdl Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Looks like a nice bike. It may be difficult to get a quill stem, as they would have to thread the
    > steerer tube. Also, 1 1/8" quill stems are very rare (not sure if its 1 1/8 but it probably is).
    > Just get the steerer tube on the long side and you can move spacers either above or below the stem
    > for adjustment, or get an adjustable stem. I find an aheadsst easier to adjust.
    >
    > Barcons may be more reliable for touring, and reduce weight slightly.
    >
    > Looks nice - how much was the frame?

    I actually *think* it is a 1" steerer tube... and I can just order the change from the factory. As
    for an adjustable stem... the only one I know of is the Ergostem... and I hate to say it, but I
    like pretty stems... and it ain't pretty! I will rethink perhaps... not ever having an aheadset
    stem I can envision nothing simpler than loosening a single bolt, giving it a tap, and moving the
    stem up/down.

    As for the bike... it comes in around 1100USD built with veloce.

    mark.

  4. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    I guess I meant adjusting the actual headset is easier, not the stem (no headset wrenches required).
    I don't like the lack of two bolt (removeable faceplate) quill stems, nor the fact that they are all
    -17 degrees.

    "MDL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "KBH" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > Looks like a nice bike. It may be difficult to get a quill stem, as
    they
    > > would have to thread the steerer tube. Also, 1 1/8" quill stems are
    very
    > > rare (not sure if its 1 1/8 but it probably is). Just get the steerer
    tube
    > > on the long side and you can move spacers either above or below the stem
    for
    > > adjustment, or get an adjustable stem. I find an aheadsst easier to
    adjust.

    > > Barcons may be more reliable for touring, and reduce weight slightly.
    > >
    > > Looks nice - how much was the frame?
    >

    > I actually *think* it is a 1" steerer tube... and I can just order the
    change
    > from the factory. As for an adjustable stem... the only one I know of is
    the
    > Ergostem... and I hate to say it, but I like pretty stems... and it ain't pretty! I will rethink
    > perhaps... not ever having an aheadset stem I can envision nothing simpler than loosening a single
    > bolt, giving it a tap, and moving the stem up/down.
    >
    > As for the bike... it comes in around 1100USD built with veloce.
    >
    > mark.

  5. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    re: barcons. Yes, you can get them in Shimano 9, 8 Campy 10, and most likely 9. If your intent is to
    do unsupported touring, then barcons will provide the greatest simplicity and reliability (and if
    you have to cobble on an "incompatible" der, they can go friction!). Despite my affection for Campy,
    I would say that to go with Shimano components (at least rear der and barcons) would be your best
    bet due to the greater availability of compatible parts. Even tho "campy breaks in, not down", in
    this case, I suggest Shimano.

    IMO

    App

    MDL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > After a bit of looking, I am deciding to purchase a Marinoni touring bike
    > (http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/html/eng_index.asp). Other brands I considered seriously were Bruce
    > Gordon and Bilenky. I am choosing the Marinoni as it is well priced in Canada and I think I am
    > best off taking my savings and putting them into a nice trip. My proposed configuration is:
    >
    > o their 55cm Turismo (sloping top tube... effectively 60cm c-c I believe). I actually prefer a
    > sloping top tube for standover height and it brings my bars higher. Apparently I can order with a
    > horizontal TT for more money. o Campy Veloce triple (not sure of rear cluster range). Upgrades are
    > Ultegra and Centaur. Given they do not use campy hubs, Veloce seems a decent choice. Only
    > preference for Shimano would be going to barcons (do they have 9sp bar cons). o Stem. Has some
    > stupid aheadset thingy. I am debating asking for a quill stem so I may adjust on the road. Is
    > there any benefit to an aheadset? Quill stems seems to be rarer by the day!
    >
    > My one treat will be to get some custom racks from Bicycle Specialties here in Toronto to go with
    > it. I am looking at light loaded touring (< 1 week) and daily commuting (70km with laptop,
    > clothes, etc) with this rig. I debated going to the Ciclo (good for light touring), but I like the
    > longer chainstays and better tire clearance with the Turismo.
    >
    > Any comments would be appreciated. Thx.

  6. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    get one fitted to your physique

  7. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > re: barcons. Yes, you can get them in Shimano 9, 8 Campy 10, and most likely 9. If your intent is
    > to do unsupported touring, then barcons will provide the greatest simplicity and reliability (and
    > if you have to cobble on an "incompatible" der, they can go friction!). Despite my affection for
    > Campy, I would say that to go with Shimano components (at least rear der and barcons) would be
    > your best bet due to the greater availability of compatible parts. Even tho "campy breaks in, not
    > down", in this case, I suggest Shimano.
    >
    > IMO
    >
    > App

    Agree with App - I have both Campy and Shimano. Love Campy, but have Shimano on my touring bike due
    to parts availability. My touring bike: 1998 Bianchi Volpe frame with Dura-Ace Bar ends (got a great
    deal on 8sp) with XT rear derailer. Build my own wheels with Ultegra hubs. For real wide gear range
    (love to climb hills) I put a LX compact front crank 22/32/44. I Would not recommend putting Campy
    on a Shimano hub.

    Kevin

  8. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I guess I meant adjusting the actual headset is easier, not the stem (no headset wrenches
    > required). I don't like the lack of two bolt (removeable faceplate) quill stems, nor the fact that
    > they are all -17 degrees.

    Many of the current quills are variable in rise and have a removeable faceplate. Check out Salsa's
    SUL road quill - comes in -15, 0 and +15 (?) with removeable faceplate. I have the -15 and it is
    very nice.

  9. On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:47:25 -0500, MDL wrote:

    > Only preference for Shimano would be going to barcons (do they have 9sp bar cons).

    They certainly do.