Buying a used bike...a few questions.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by BobbyBaloney, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. BobbyBaloney

    BobbyBaloney Guest

    Well this will be my first Mountain Bike in years and it will be my first serious mountain bike. I'm
    currently looking in the sub $1000cad level and most likely will buy something around 2 years old
    since I will end up with a better bike for cheaper.

    What should I look for when buying used? (I'm trying to find bikes with little wear like from people
    that bought a nice bike and then lost interest).

    Would it be better to buy a lower end frame with high end components that might be slightly more
    used or something with a better frame and a mix of components mostly lower mid range.

    I am mostly looking at hardtails since they are more in my price range such as the 2001 Norco
    Sasquatch and some others but I also found a 2001 Kona Manomano for a really good price. I don't
    think I need FS, it would be more of a luxury item since I will be doing more onroad riding at first
    until I find some people to ride with.

    Thanks for any help.

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Well this will be my first Mountain Bike in years and it will be my first serious mountain bike.
    > I'm currently looking in the sub $1000cad level and most likely will buy something around 2 years
    > old since I will end up with a better bike for cheaper.
    >
    > What should I look for when buying used? (I'm trying to find bikes with little wear like from
    > people that bought a nice bike and then lost interest).
    >
    > Would it be better to buy a lower end frame with high end components that might be slightly more
    > used or something with a better frame and a mix of components mostly lower mid range.
    >
    > I am mostly looking at hardtails since they are more in my price range such as the 2001 Norco
    > Sasquatch and some others but I also found a 2001 Kona Manomano for a really good price. I don't
    > think I need FS, it would be more of a luxury item since I will be doing more onroad riding at
    > first until I find some people to ride with.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    If the Kona is in good shape (have an LBS check it out just like you would have your local mech
    check a used car), I would go with it. I have never had as much fun as I have had on my ManoMano.
    It's the poor man's Ellsworth
    Id. I find I ride it more than my "good" bike.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Dilusionnews

    Dilusionnews Guest

    if you're in ottawa... i got a sweet full suspension you could think
    about......
    http://ogivar.no-ip.com/dilusion/FSR/

    in my opinion full suspension is the way to go... i started on my brother's hard tail... and i
    couldn't do half the stuff my buddies were doing..... so i bought this bike...

    now i've upgraded and bought a brand new bike...

    g'luck

    dilusion

    > Well this will be my first Mountain Bike in years and it will be my first
    serious mountain bike.
    > I'm currently looking in the sub $1000cad level and most likely will buy
    something around
    > 2 years old since I will end up with a better bike for cheaper.
    >
    > What should I look for when buying used? (I'm trying to find bikes with
    little wear like from people
    > that bought a nice bike and then lost interest).
    >
    > Would it be better to buy a lower end frame with high end components that
    might be slightly
    > more used or something with a better frame and a mix of components mostly
    lower mid
    > range.
    >
    > I am mostly looking at hardtails since they are more in my price range
    such as the 2001 Norco
    > Sasquatch and some others but I also found a 2001 Kona Manomano for a
    really good price.
    > I don't think I need FS, it would be more of a luxury item since I will be
    doing more onroad
    > riding at first until I find some people to ride with.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  4. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    DilusionNews top-posted:
    > if you're in ottawa... i got a sweet full suspension you could think about...... http://ogivar.no-
    > ip.com/dilusion/FSR/

    What's the effective top-tube length on that thing -- like, 8 inches?!?

    Bill "stem impalement imminent, Will Robinson" S.

  5. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > DilusionNews top-posted:
    > > if you're in ottawa... i got a sweet full suspension you could think about...... http://ogivar.no-
    > > ip.com/dilusion/FSR/
    > >
    > What's the effective top-tube length on that thing -- like, 8 inches?!?
    >
    > Bill "stem impalement imminent, Will Robinson" S.

    Its F.or S.hort R.iders.