Buying a used Colnago?

flynn

Oct 29, 2003
Need to upgrade but don't have big bucks to spend. Looking at used bikes and have seen a Colnago Technos 2000 model with steel forks for AUD700. Has 105 groupset with very sticky gears (so sticky when I rode it would not change down, so I went home!). Frame in good nick, right size. Has corrosion on shifters. Probably will need some group set upgrade. Anybody experienced with this bike and advice for a less experienced rider?

Originally posted by flynn
Need to upgrade but don't have big bucks to spend. Looking at used bikes and have seen a Colnago Technos 2000 model with steel forks for AUD700. Has 105 groupset with very sticky gears (so sticky when I rode it would not change down, so I went home!). Frame in good nick, right size. Has corrosion on shifters. Probably will need some group set upgrade. Anybody experienced with this bike and advice for a less experienced rider?
So what is AUD700 in US$? When buying used, condition is everything. The shifters could just need hosed out or things could be alot worse. Usually built with better than 105,but maybe someone was on a budget. It's great frame made with upper end Columbus proprietarty tubing, and now out of production. But, lugged steel and steel fork are now a bit out of fashion at least with US buyers and the same frame in new to like new condition often goes for $500US or less on ebay.

lugged steel frames, however, are also things of sublime beauty. and 700 aud is 500 us, more or less. i'd go for it. and if you don't want it i'll buy it

Eddie, thanks for the advice, it is a beatiful work of art, the frame that is (most exquisite paint job), and I will return and have another look and price up getting it in running order. I will then start to look for a Dura Ace or Record groupset to ge the thing equipped at it should have originally been. I think a set of carbon forks would be good for it too. I think he will take less for it especially since it is not working properly.

Originally posted by eddiebrannan
lugged steel frames, however, are also things of sublime beauty. and 700 aud is 500 us, more or less. i'd go for it. and if you don't want it i'll buy it