Buying a wheelset

battlefield

May 9, 2006
I'm looking to purchace a new wheelset for my Trek 5000, but I some advice on what to get. I need something that can handle racing and training rides because I don't have enough funds to buy 2 sets at this time. I was looking at the Ksyrium SL's, but someone showed me the neuvations. THey seem too good to be true with that price, i don't know though. My selects that came with the bike are no good. THe front wheel creaks like it's its job, and the back wheel has a flat spot that happened in a crash in a race. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

Neuvations are nice, and there's more. Check out Roadbikereviews - online. lots of choices - plenty of feedbck. Just take into account whose writing the feedback. :)

battlefield said:
I'm looking to purchace a new wheelset for my Trek 5000, but I some advice on what to get. I need something that can handle racing and training rides because I don't have enough funds to buy 2 sets at this time. I was looking at the Ksyrium SL's, but someone showed me the neuvations. THey seem too good to be true with that price, i don't know though. My selects that came with the bike are no good. THe front wheel creaks like it's its job, and the back wheel has a flat spot that happened in a crash in a race. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

Although not light the SL's are bullet proof. I've got 10,000 k's on a pair racing and training on coarse roads and they are both still dead straight. Other advantages are low spoke count and aerospokes.

If you can only afford one set of wheels get a nice wheelset built up by a local builder with your favorite set of hubs - Shimano Ultegra/Dura Ace or Campagnolo Chorus/Record class, with a nice set of Mavic open pros or Ambrosio rims. These will be indestructible, you will have the same performance as fancy-schmancy wheelsets, and be able to ride home if you break a spoke going over a big pothole. And save a chunk of cash...

Powerful Pete said:
If you can only afford one set of wheels get a nice wheelset built up by a local builder with your favorite set of hubs - Shimano Ultegra/Dura Ace or Campagnolo Chorus/Record class, with a nice set of Mavic open pros or Ambrosio rims. These will be indestructible, you will have the same performance as fancy-schmancy wheelsets, and be able to ride home if you break a spoke going over a big pothole. And save a chunk of cash...

Best choice in my opinion too.
32 spokes laced 3x, best hub you can afford (ultegra/dura ace/centaur/chorus/record/dt swiss), dt competition spokes (revolution in front if you want to save some weight), open pro/dt rr1.1/ambrosio/... rims
It will cost you half the price of boutique wheels, you get far better hubs/bearings, same weight, more durability, serviceable, etc...

Of course this won't work if you need bling points (but black spokes may help :D)

frenk said:
Best choice in my opinion too.
32 spokes laced 3x, best hub you can afford (ultegra/dura ace/centaur/chorus/record/dt swiss), dt competition spokes (revolution in front if you want to save some weight), open pro/dt rr1.1/ambrosio/... rims
It will cost you half the price of boutique wheels, you get far better hubs/bearings, same weight, more durability, serviceable, etc...

Of course this won't work if you need bling points (but black spokes may help :D)
anyone know anything about FIR rims? I was going to get a set of wheels built with DT Swiss RR1.2 but they are not available in Australia till June so I have gone with the FIR's that were recommended by the LBS

anyone know anything about FIR rims? I was going to get a set of wheels built with DT Swiss RR1.2 but they are not available in Australia till June so I have gone with the FIR's that were recommended by the LBS

I received my custom built DT Swiss wheels from Joe Young Wheels and I hope to try them out this weekend, but already I can tell a difference in quality compared to my Velomax wheelset and the rear DT wheel is about 140 grams lighter than the Velomax rear wheel and yet has a higher spoke count. I do not think they are as light as the claims that are made, but after quick test last night my bike feels more stable and smooth on climbing and descending.

The price was lower than a decent set of mass produced wheels and were comparable to the cost of a set of discounted Ksyrium SL wheels.

The DT Swiss components that I chose:

240s Hubs front/rear
R1.1 Rims 28 front/32 rear
DT Competition spokes

The only drawback is if you are in a rush is the time it takes to have a set built.

http://www.youngwheels.com/index.html

or

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=17

jcjordan said:
Depends which ones. FIR is an Italian maker that makes... rims/wheels exclusively. Their better rims are on par with anyone else's. They will serve you just fine.