Buying advice; changing from hybrid to a road bike

jimzy

May 13, 2009
I have had a Giant CRS 1.0 for the past year or two now but am looking to make the change to a road bike. I commute to work quite a bit, so the CRS was very comfortable, sturdy and reliable for the entire time. However at weekends the CRS is not great for long cycles, hence the reason im deciding to change.

Just really wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what bikes to go for at entry level road bikes? The Giant Defy seems like the obvious option, would this be the best bet? Im a little unsure as to whats available? What other options would people recommend?

Appreciate any advice you may have!

Thanks

Will you be commuting on the new bike, or will you keep the hybrid for commuting? That will make a difference in the answers you get.

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply, yes I was intending on selling my hybrid and just putting the cash towards a similar style(cost) road bike.
What do you think is a good option to go for?

However, the more I think about it, the more I think I should probably keep the hybrid bike as an option for commuting and any trail / off road cycling (I occasionally cycle on a riverside track). The road bike would not really be suitable for this im sure.

How long do you intend to ride on the road? I'm on the fence of hybrid vs road and am looking for as much info as possible.

I'll be tagging along this thread :)

Reactions: jimzy
A cyclocross bike might be a good option. I use one on my commute which includes about 5 miles on a gravel trail. And it is still quite fast on the road. And if need be you can have a second set of narrow tires or another wheel set.

The least expensive cyclocross bike I have seen recently is a GT model at Performance for about $600. (No that I am recommending it as I ride a somewhat higher end Fuji and haven't tried the GT.) I think this may be in-store only and does not show up on-line.

Originally Posted by DurhamCycler .

How long do you intend to ride on the road? I'm on the fence of hybrid vs road and am looking for as much info as possible.

I'll be tagging along this thread :)
I usually commute around 1 hr per day (30 mins each way) to work during the week. The hybrid is great for this, comfortable and sturdy.
Then at the weekend I would usually do around 2-3 hours, but feel the hybrid is missing drop handlebars and general lightness of a road bike.

Originally Posted by AlanG .

A cyclocross bike might be a good option. I use one on my commute which includes about 5 miles on a gravel trail. And it is still quite fast on the road. And if need be you can have a second set of narrow tires or another wheel set.

The least expensive cyclocross bike I have seen recently is a GT model at Performance for about $600. (No that I am recommending it as I ride a somewhat higher end Fuji and haven't tried the GT.) I think this may be in-store only and does not show up on-line.
Thanks Alan, I'll have a look into the cyclocross, that may be the right mix of a road and hybrid bikes I think I'm looking for. Cheers.

Yes, if you want an all-round, do everything bike, you can look at both cyclocross and touring bikes. Cyclocross bikes generally have higher botom brackets, touring bikes are heavier and have more attachment points for racks and fenders. Check out Surly bikes for both types. Of course the used market will give you the best deals, and if you've narrowed it down to the type of bike you want and know your size, check our Craigslist and eBAy. Good luck, Steve