Buying advice for a 12-yr old's bike

Mifrost

Guest
I'm looking for some advice. I'll be buying a bicycle for my 12 year old daughter. I'll probably go
to my local sporting goods store, a bike shop and also look on-line. She'll probably grow out of it
in a couple of years, three at the most I think, so I don't want to spend too much. Say, $150 tops.
She's about 5' tall. Does that suggest a possible frame size? (I'll certainly have her fitted when I
shop with her but I'm just looking for a frame size to use when I look at bikes on-line now.) She'll
be riding around our small suburban development. No hills, no off-road.

I know this is a really rinky-dink post. I'm just looking for some brands and some general advice.

Thanks

MIFrost

MIFrost wrote:

> I'm looking for some advice. I'll be buying a bicycle for my 12 year old daughter. I'll probably
> go to my local sporting goods store, a bike shop and also look on-line. She'll probably grow out
> of it in a couple of years, three at the most I think, so I don't want to spend too much. Say,
> $150 tops. She's about 5' tall. Does that suggest a possible frame size? (I'll certainly have her
> fitted when I shop with her but I'm just looking for a frame size to use when I look at bikes
> on-line now.) She'll be riding around our small suburban development. No hills, no off-road.
>
> I know this is a really rinky-dink post. I'm just looking for some brands and some general advice.

Sun EZ-1 SC - unless your daughter grows to be over 6'4", the bike will still fit her. <
http://www.easyracers.com/ez_1_sc.htm >

Consider spending just a bit more, and you'll have a bike that is not only more enjoyable to ride
now, but will have some value when she's done with
it. At $250 or so you can get some pretty nice entry-level mountain bikes... the one we sell is the
TREK 820. Definitely sturdy enough to survive more than one kid, and the things that make a
bike sturdier also mean that it shifts and brakes better and is generally more fun to ride. You
should be able to recover the extra $100 fairly easily when it's time to sell, or, if you've
got any other kids, it'll still be in one piece for them.

Information on this particular bike can be found at
http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/820.jsp. Please note that it lists the retail at $299,
but depending upon where you live, you may find it closer to $250.

There's a fair amount of adjustability in a decent bike, so try to choose a shop that seems like
they'll be willing to help as she grows taller (shouldn't cost too much to get taller/longer
stems etc).

"MIFrost" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some advice. I'll be buying a bicycle for my 12 year old daughter. I'll probably
> go to my local sporting goods store, a bike shop
and
> also look on-line. She'll probably grow out of it in a couple of years, three at the most I think,
> so I don't want to spend too much. Say, $150 tops. She's about 5' tall. Does that suggest a
> possible frame size? (I'll certainly have her fitted when I shop with her but I'm just looking for
> a frame size to use when I look at bikes on-line now.) She'll be riding
around
> our small suburban development. No hills, no off-road.
>
> I know this is a really rinky-dink post. I'm just looking for some brands and some general advice.
>
> Thanks
>
> MIFrost

> MIFrost wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for some advice. I'll be buying a bicycle for my 12 year old daughter. I'll probably
> > go to my local sporting goods store, a bike shop
and
> > also look on-line. She'll probably grow out of it in a couple of years, three at the most I
> > think, so I don't want to spend too much. Say, $150 tops. She's about 5' tall. Does that suggest
> > a possible frame size?
(I'll
> > certainly have her fitted when I shop with her but I'm just looking for
> > frame size to use when I look at bikes on-line now.) She'll be riding
around
> > our small suburban development. No hills, no off-road.
> >
> > I know this is a really rinky-dink post. I'm just looking for some
brands
> > and some general advice.
>
> Sun EZ-1 SC - unless your daughter grows to be over 6'4", the bike will still fit her. <
> http://www.easyracers.com/ez_1_sc.htm >

You are certainly right about the sizing. My daughter started riding my BikeE when she was 4'11",
and I'm 6'3", and this uses a similar seat adjustment mechanism. She' 5'6" now, and still enjoys
riding it.

However, at $549 plus $75 shipping it's a little higher than the stated price range. You also have
to consider the social pressures of junior high; my daughter would ride the recumbent as a lark; she
also had a "normal" mountain bike. So, it wasn't that she was stuck with something weird, it was
that she got to ride something exotic if she wanted to.

Mike Kruger wrote:

> You are certainly right about the sizing. My daughter started riding my BikeE when she was 4'11",
> and I'm 6'3", and this uses a similar seat adjustment mechanism. She' 5'6" now, and still enjoys
> riding it.
>
> However, at $549 plus $75 shipping it's a little higher than the stated price range. You also have
> to consider the social pressures of junior high; my daughter would ride the recumbent as a lark;
> she also had a "normal" mountain bike. So, it wasn't that she was stuck with something weird, it
> was that she got to ride something exotic if she wanted to.

The Sun EZ-1 SC is available from any LBS that has a J&B account (almost all of them) so the
shipping charges can be saved.

As for the price, it is more up front, but would be less expensive than three entry-level quality
upright bikes.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Chris
Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

> Mike Kruger wrote;
>
> "You also have to consider the social pressures of junior high; my daughter would ride the
> recumbent as a lark; she also had a "normal" mountain bike. So, it wasn't that she was stuck with
> something weird, it was that she got to ride something exotic if she wanted to."
>
> Actually, that might just be the idea. Jr. High is right at that age where kids are really keen on
> "image", and a 'Bent, as exotic as it is (to a kid, anyways), might be taken as being more "cool"
> than an ordinary bike that "everybody else" has.

I have no hatred for bents whatsoever, but the idea that a recumbent might seem cool to junior
high schoolers seems to indicate a fairly extreme state of delusion. What's next, Moultons as
babe magnets?

"Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine-
> I have no hatred for bents whatsoever, but the idea that a recumbent
> might seem cool to junior high schoolers seems to indicate a fairly
> extreme state of delusion. What's next, Moultons as babe magnets?

No joking about those benters being delusional, I can just imagine what I would do back in my school
days if some kid showed up on a bent. I'll tell you something, that would be the last day he would
ever be seen laying in that thing.

Not that I hate benters, but they seem to be the types that studied and listened to what the teacher
had to say while I was out on the road training on my Guerciotti or Rossin in all kinds of weather.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> ... I have no hatred for bents whatsoever, but the idea that a recumbent might seem cool to junior
> high schoolers seems to indicate a fairly extreme state of delusion. What's next, Moultons as babe
> magnets?...

Many women, except for women roadies, find this bike very attractive. <
ftp://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/sunset/Sunset001.jpg >

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message .com...
>> Many women, except for women roadies, find this bike very attractive.

Tom, you've got a lot to learn about women. Two questions: How many feet of chain are on that thing
anyway? I was reading the test file at that site and what's a grogbent?

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message .com...
> >> Many women, except for women roadies, find this bike very attractive.
> >
> Tom, you've got a lot to learn about women. Two questions: How many feet of chain are on that
> thing anyway? I was reading the test file at that site and what's a grogbent?

Fab,

Plenty of women go "goo-goo" over my Sunset the same way they would over a kitten or puppy. Ever see
that happen with an upright road bike?

The front chain on my Sunset is 200 links and the rear chain is 94 links for a total
length of 12'3".

A grogbent is a secret known only to recumbent riders. ;)

In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine-
> > I have no hatred for bents whatsoever, but the idea that a recumbent
> > might seem cool to junior high schoolers seems to indicate a fairly
> > extreme state of delusion. What's next, Moultons as babe magnets?
> >

> No joking about those benters being delusional, I can just imagine what I would do back in my
> school days if some kid showed up on a bent. I'll tell you something, that would be the last day
> he would ever be seen laying in that thing.
>
> Not that I hate benters, but they seem to be the types that studied and listened to what the
> teacher had to say while I was out on the road training on my Guerciotti or Rossin in all kinds of
> weather.

BE LIKE FABS! BE LIKE FABS! BE LIKE FABS!

Hey all, just upholding my club officer duties.

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > ... I have no hatred for bents whatsoever, but the idea that a recumbent might seem cool to
> > junior high schoolers seems to indicate a fairly extreme state of delusion. What's next,
> > Moultons as babe magnets?...
>
> Many women, except for women roadies, find this bike very attractive. <
> ftp://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/sunset/Sunset001.jpg >

It's an attractive bike. I'll trade you any two bikes I own for it. But remember we are talking
about junior high here. Somehow, an expensive recumbent just doesn't seem on target.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message ...

> Plenty of women go "goo-goo" over my Sunset the same way they would over a kitten or puppy. Ever
> see that happen with an upright road bike?

I don't like to brag and talk about myself, but, did I ever tell you about the two women in what
looked like a black Lexus last week at the Sumas border crossing?

It doesn't get any better than that!

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
> > >
> > Plenty of women go "goo-goo" over my Sunset the same way they would over a kitten or puppy. Ever
> > see that happen with an upright road bike?
>
> I don't like to brag and talk about myself, but, did I ever tell you about the two women in what
> looked like a black Lexus last week at the Sumas border crossing?

I too am amazed at how much the new Nissan Altima looks like a Lexus ES300.

> It doesn't get any better than that!

My wife picked out my last cycling jersey, and bottle cages to match my Pinarello's Italian Blue
paint job. Beat that.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine-
> > I have no hatred for bents whatsoever, but the idea that a recumbent
> > might seem cool to junior high schoolers seems to indicate a fairly
> > extreme state of delusion. What's next, Moultons as babe magnets?
> >

> No joking about those benters being delusional, I can just imagine what I would do back in my
> school days if some kid showed up on a bent. I'll tell you something, that would be the last day
> he would ever be seen laying in that thing.
>
> Not that I hate benters, but they seem to be the types that studied and listened to what the
> teacher had to say while I was out on the road training on my Guerciotti or Rossin in all kinds of
> weather.

How old are you? Kids on "racers" were the nerds when I was at school.

So, you're delusional if you want your kid to be cool on anything other than a BMX or a dual suss
bike, or whatever else the marketing men have come up with.

For the last three days the only guys on race bikes I've seen have been over
60. Whoah there goes another one.

W K wrote:

> For the last three days the only guys on race bikes I've seen have been over
> 60. Whoah there goes another one.

Those old guys are pretty fast, aren't they?

In article <[email protected]>, "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine-
> > > I have no hatred for bents whatsoever, but the idea that a recumbent
> > > might seem cool to junior high schoolers seems to indicate a fairly
> > > extreme state of delusion. What's next, Moultons as babe magnets?
> >
> > No joking about those benters being delusional, I can just imagine what I would do back in my
> > school days if some kid showed up on a bent. I'll tell you something, that would be the last day
> > he would ever be seen laying in that thing.
> >
> > Not that I hate benters, but they seem to be the types that studied and listened to what the
> > teacher had to say while I was out on the road training on my Guerciotti or Rossin in all kinds
> > of weather.
>
> How old are you? Kids on "racers" were the nerds when I was at school.

Okay, first, you're responding to Fabrizio, so...

> So, you're delusional if you want your kid to be cool on anything other than a BMX or a dual suss
> bike, or whatever else the marketing men have come up with.

Second, I said that thinking a 'bent would be regarded as a cool form of transport in junior high
was an extremely delusional statement. I've been out of school for a few years now, but I think that
except for maybe freeride and dirt jump MTBs, no bicycle would be regarded as very cool. A BMX is a
perfectly conventional choice, and a road bike is at least comprehensibly a "normal" bike, albeit
not a very trendy one.

The problem is that bents are really, really weird. This isn't something that would stop me from
riding one (give me a 'bent, and I'd happily ride it everywhere; I think they look neat, and object
only to their cost and inability to participate in almost all the local road races).

For junior high, I think the most practical bike is a rigid mountain bike, closely followed by a
hardtail or a BMX-type. All are well-suited to typical rough-service kid-riding. If my hypothetical
child were to get serious about road racing (or long rides on the road with dad), then I'd look into
a road bike for them.

Unless the kid expressed a specific, vehement desire for a 'bent, there is no way I would push them
towards a bike design which is longer, heavier, slightly trickier to ride, requires clips or
clipless pedals to ride, and has minimal off-road/jumping capability.