Buying an imported bicycle?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ScottishDan, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ScottishDan

ScottishDan New Member

I've heard that you can get some really good deals on bicycles if you buy them in from the states or abroad. Does anyone have any experience of this as I am looking for a ladies bicycle for my missus in the region of £200.

Tags:

2. wheelist

wheelist New Member

I have a contact in China that can provide you with a nice titanium frame. :)

I've actually been thinking about setting up some form of importing company but don't really know where to start or whether there'd be demand. Hmm. :confused:

3. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

:rolleyes:

So you're now considering the purchase of a bicycle from the United States? Why not ask your malnourished, genius brother to ship you one?

4. wheelist

wheelist New Member

Ooh! Someone's holding a grudge! :D

5. ScottishDan

ScottishDan New Member

That was quite funny :D

He's put on a few pounds recently; I think you can only resist 99c burgers for so long. At least he'll still have his brain when he's a fat bastard.

Now can anyone actually assist me or is this going to turn into a "world against America" thread?

6. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

that will be a first..!

seriously though, i got a mate that bought a Marin somethingorother from a US website, just paid the extra for UK shipment. (took 6 weeks though) . i'll see if i can find out what website it was.

7. lwedge

lwedge New Member

What species of bike for the missus ? Hybrid, Road, MTB, Fat Tire Cruiser, Unicycle, Swiss Rocket Bike ?

Lw

8. philso

philso New Member

wheelist - ladies titanium bike for £200? wow ;)

Scotty_Dog - "AMERICANS: GET YOUR HEADS OUT YOUR ARSES!!!!"

if we were to do that, what distinguishing national characteristics would we have left to make us so special? :eek: (psss. scotty! by the way, if you want to make your point to americans, you'll have to spell it "asses". no one will no what the h_ll you're trying to say otherwise. "butt" is a little more polite in mixed company)

ScottishDan - as an american (with my head up my b_tt and d_mn proud of it too) living in japan, i don't have any solid info for you. I'd suggest that first you contact your post office to inquire about import duties, which vary greatly between nations and from item to item. then check some of the huge on-line sites and check their shipping charges (and whether or not they even ship internationally). that should give you a good idea if it's even worth your time to continue looking around or not.

9. ScottishDan

ScottishDan New Member

She's after a road bike, something reasonably lightweight. As a rough guide, something like a ladies Claud Butler Majestic (or is it Majestique?) would be perfect. I have £200 to spend so if anybody knows of anything out there give me a shout.

Americans, I apologise for insulting you in the past. Now shut the goddamn hell up an pull your goddamned heads out your goddamned buttholes goddammit. Please now do me the courtesy of insulting me back in Scottish dialect.

10. wheelist

wheelist New Member

Ahhh.... £200? Erm, perhaps not then. Perhaps for her 'next' bike eh? :)

11. NVP

NVP New Member

'
    I think using the words "Fuck" "Bitch" and "Ass" would make for a better sounding insult, in American dialect...:)

12. huhenio

huhenio New Member

:D:D:D:D FUNNY :D:D:D:D