Buying cinnamon online

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doug Weller, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. Doug Weller

    Doug Weller Guest

    What's the best cinnamon I can get online? Penzey's? The last few times
    I've visited the US from the UK I've purchased cinnamon from Cinnabon
    shops in airports, but I know I can get better.

    This site is tempting as I like the idea of their French Toast cinnamon

    http://www.coastalgoods.com/product_list.php?cat_id=5

    Thanks.

    Doug
    --
    Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
    Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com

  2. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:27:40 +0100, Doug Weller
    <[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:

    ~What's the best cinnamon I can get online? Penzey's?
    Thanks.
    ~
    ~Doug

    Penzey's is good. I'm surprized that noone in Europe does good
    spices.

    If you're planning a trip to the US, check the Penzey's website and
    see if they have a store near where you'll be visiting. It's almost
    worth the trip just to have the chance to smell the difference between
    the various types of cinnamon, etc.

    maxine in ri

  3. Bob Westcott

    Bob Westcott Guest

    The Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon is fantastic.

    "Doug Weller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What's the best cinnamon I can get online? Penzey's? The last few times
    > I've visited the US from the UK I've purchased cinnamon from Cinnabon
    > shops in airports, but I know I can get better.
    >
    > This site is tempting as I like the idea of their French Toast cinnamon
    >
    > http://www.coastalgoods.com/product_list.php?cat_id=5
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Doug
    > --
    > Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
    > Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com
    > A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
    > Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk

  4. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Doug Weller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What's the best cinnamon I can get online? Penzey's? The last few times
    > I've visited the US from the UK I've purchased cinnamon from Cinnabon
    > shops in airports, but I know I can get better.
    >
    > This site is tempting as I like the idea of their French Toast cinnamon
    >
    > http://www.coastalgoods.com/product_list.php?cat_id=5
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Doug
    > --

    Penzey's Vietnamese is the absolute best cinnamon. I love it and use it
    every day, in coffee and tea, and use it often on toast, in apple butter,
    apple pie/crisp, chocolate soufflé, etc. It's strong, and spicy and sweet
    and so much better than that tasteless junk they sell in the supermarket.

    kimberly

  5. On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:53:18 -0700, Nexis <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Penzey's Vietnamese is the absolute best cinnamon. I love it and use it
    > every day, in coffee and tea, and use it often on toast, in apple butter,
    > apple pie/crisp, chocolate soufflé, etc. It's strong, and spicy and sweet
    > and so much better than that tasteless junk they sell in the supermarket.

    Agreed. It has made _such_ a difference in baked goods in our house,
    particularly apple pie. (And it's getting to be that time of year again!)
    Regular store-bought cinnamon is a pale shadow in comparison, it tastes more
    like stale dust than anything else to us now. So far, we have the China
    Cassia and the Vietnamese Extra-Fancy, haven't tried the others yet. I like
    the China Cassia for its spiciness in particular, a sprinkle in hot cocoa is
    wonderful on a cold day...

    Ariane

  6. QX

    QX Guest

    http://www.vannsspices.com/about.htm

    They are available online from A Cook's Wares::

    The finest zeylanicum cinnamon shipped from the port of Saigon.
    Delicate flavor, fragrant and warm.
    http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=8948

    Korintje cassia from Southwest Sumatra. Milder, more fragrant flavor
    than common Indonesian cinnamon:
    http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=8979
    http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=8903
    http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=V050

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What's the best cinnamon I can get online? Penzey's? The last few times
    >I've visited the US from the UK I've purchased cinnamon from Cinnabon
    >shops in airports, but I know I can get better.
    >
    >This site is tempting as I like the idea of their French Toast cinnamon
    >
    >http://www.coastalgoods.com/product_list.php?cat_id=5
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Doug

  7. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "QX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > http://www.vannsspices.com/about.htm
    >
    > They are available online from A Cook's Wares::
    >
    > The finest zeylanicum cinnamon shipped from the port of Saigon.
    > Delicate flavor, fragrant and warm.
    > http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=8948
    >
    > Korintje cassia from Southwest Sumatra. Milder, more fragrant flavor
    > than common Indonesian cinnamon:
    > http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=8979
    > http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=8903
    > http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=V050
    >

    > On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:27:40 +0100, Doug Weller
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>What's the best cinnamon I can get online? Penzey's? The last few times
    >>I've visited the US from the UK I've purchased cinnamon from Cinnabon
    >>shops in airports, but I know I can get better.
    >>
    >>This site is tempting as I like the idea of their French Toast cinnamon
    >>
    >>http://www.coastalgoods.com/product_list.php?cat_id=5
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>Doug

    Thanks for the two alternative sites for spices. After my last order from
    Penzey's, I was looking for an alternative source.
    Dee Dee

  8. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thanks for the two alternative sites for spices. After my last order from
    > Penzey's, I was looking for an alternative source.

    Any particular reason? Price? Quality? Selection?

    --
    to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

    <http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

  9. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the two alternative sites for spices. After my last order
    >> from
    >> Penzey's, I was looking for an alternative source.

    > Any particular reason? Price? Quality? Selection?
    >
    > --
    > to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
    >
    > <http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

    None of the above, Scott. I won't dish their product, tho.
    Looking elsewhere,
    Dee Dee

  10. Susan

    Susan Guest

    My favorite online spice shop is:

    http://www.thespicehouse.com/

    They have *wonderful* spices! I have several of their cinnamons ... I
    think my favorite is the China Cassia; it has a spicy, citrusy flavor
    that adds a nice depth to baked goods. Their cinnamon page is at:

    http://www.thespicehouse.com/category/product_type_Cinnamon.php

    Last winter I ordered a selection of dried chiles from them and ground a
    mixture for chili. It was amazing how much better it was than the
    pre-mixed grocery store chili powder and the chili was awesome.

    susan

    Doug Weller wrote:
    > What's the best cinnamon I can get online? Penzey's? The last few times
    > I've visited the US from the UK I've purchased cinnamon from Cinnabon
    > shops in airports, but I know I can get better.
    >
    > This site is tempting as I like the idea of their French Toast cinnamon
    >
    > http://www.coastalgoods.com/product_list.php?cat_id=5
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Doug

  11. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Doug Weller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> What's the best cinnamon I can get online? Penzey's? The last few times
    >> I've visited the US from the UK I've purchased cinnamon from Cinnabon
    >> shops in airports, but I know I can get better.
    >>
    >> This site is tempting as I like the idea of their French Toast cinnamon
    >>
    >> http://www.coastalgoods.com/product_list.php?cat_id=5
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Doug
    >> --

    > Penzey's Vietnamese is the absolute best cinnamon. I love it and use it
    > every day, in coffee and tea, and use it often on toast, in apple butter,
    > apple pie/crisp, chocolate soufflé, etc. It's strong, and spicy and sweet
    > and so much better than that tasteless junk they sell in the supermarket.
    >
    > kimberly

    If you shop at Costco or BJ's, they have MCCormack's Gourmet Selection of
    "Saigon Cinnamon." I use it, as well as I have Penzey's Vietnamese.
    I use it daily on oatmeal.
    Dee Dee