Buying first bike only have $300 need advice

Bryanb45

Jun 16, 2016
So Im new to cycling and would buying a bike to commute to school and back. 6mile round trip. My question is Ive done alot of research and with my price budget the only bikes out there are the Vilano, Merax Finiss, Giarando rapido, Biciclo turbo tecknic 2.0. I start class in just a few days and need a bike fast. Remember I only have $300 and i checked CL in my area and all the bikes are either really old or too much. Which bike would be the best for me?

I would like you to research about the bikes on the Internet. Well, you should compare the various cycles on the Internet with the help of various sites. Then you should pick up one. You have research about the price of the bike at the local store and online. I would recommend you to buy the bikes from the online stores they offer the awesome discounts on the bikes. You can also buy the bike from the local store if you want to negotiate the price of the bike with a local dealer.

I found a trek 5200 under $400. I think its better than the cheap ones I was looking at but not really knowledgable about the bike.

I found a trek 5200 under $400. I think its better than the cheap ones I was looking at but not really knowledgable about the bike.
If the condition of the it-must-be-a-USED-bike Trek 5200 is reasonably good, then $400 is nonetheless a bargain ...

As you will almost always read, you will also want the size of the bike to be reasonably close to the arbitrarily determined "ideal" size for YOU ...​

If the condition of the it-must-be-a-USED-bike Trek 5200 is reasonably good, then $400 is nonetheless a bargain ...

As you will almost always read, you will also want the size of the bike to be reasonably close to the arbitrarily determined "ideal" size for YOU ...​

Attachments

• 20160617_191814.jpg
    20160617_191814.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 27
FWIW ...

Based on how the bike appears in the picture, I am going to presume that the seller is 6'0"-or-taller ...

And so, if you are 5'10"-or-taller, then I think that it should work very well for you ...

And, YOU should make your way over to the seller's house ASAP and make that bike YOUR bike!.

FWIW ...

Based on how the bike appears in the picture, I am going to presume that the seller is 6'0"-or-taller ...

And so, if you are 5'10"-or-taller, then I think that it should work very well for you ...

And, YOU should make your way over to the seller's house ASAP and make that bike YOUR bike!.

Yes it is a 60" and Im 6". Already bought the bike. Thanks for the advice. I am very happy with my purchase.

I got mine for much less and did it through craigslist, maybe give that a shot? I don't know of much else, sorry, just to check your local CL a couple times during the week unless ya find somethin faster.

I think you can get a much nicer bike for less money if you consider buying a used bike off of Craigslist.

A lot of people buy excercise equipment, gym equipment and bicycles, but about 73 to 80% of those that buy that stuff stop using it after 3 to 6 months where the equipment sets in a garage for years. You can find very nice mid level bikes that were hardly ever used for $150 to $350 that would far outlast a low cost new bike, and if you decide to sell the bike the new one you'll be lucky to get $100 for it but the one you buy use you should at least get what you paid for it. Obviously buying used you need to know your bikes and what to look for, if you don't know that stuff take a friend who does. But bikes like cars you can pretty much tell if it's been taken care of.

If you don't have a friend to help you you can always post a CL posting here and we'll all be glad to tell you if it's a good bike or not. I've bought a couple of use bikes over the years and they've been great, heck I got a couple of bikes out of dumpsters and they too have been great! You just need to know what a mid level bike is and what are good mid level components. Sometimes a used bike might need to be gone through to make sure it's up an running good, sometimes you may need to get a new seat but you might need to do that with a new bike as well!

I would like you to research about the bikes on the Internet. Well, you should compare the various cycles on the Internet with the help of various sites. Then you should pick up one. You have research about the price of the bike at the local store and online. I would recommend you to buy the bikes from the online stores they offer the awesome discounts on the bikes. You can also buy the bike from the local store if you want to negotiate the price of the bike with a local dealer.
II think he should buy the buy from the local stores. I have seen various bikes on the Internet but the price is too high. Most of the online bike stores charges for shipping and the shipping/delivery charge is too high and that is why I avoid buying things online. Can you recommend a bike shop with worldwide shipment option for free? I don't think any bike store will deliver for free.

If I had the $400 to spend that would be a no brainer. I see this is an old post, how are you liking it so far? They sure like to slap their name everywhere lol

II think he should buy the buy from the local stores. I have seen various bikes on the Internet but the price is too high. Most of the online bike stores charges for shipping and the shipping/delivery charge is too high and that is why I avoid buying things online. Can you recommend a bike shop with worldwide shipment option for free? I don't think any bike store will deliver for free.

Where do you live?

No, no bike store that I know of will deliver a bike for free especially a lower costing unit, maybe if you bought a $15,000 bike some might deliver it for free...might is the key word.

Hello, I recently read some good reviews about vilano roadbikes. Check it here. http://roadbikeadventure.com/review/vilano-shadow-road-bike/

Not a bad bike especially for the money, but lower costing bikes do weigh more, and this case we're looking at around a 30 pound bike, for a road bike that is quite hefty, which means that the wheels will be heavy, which means the bike will feel sluggish, but not as bad as bikes were when I was teen when inexpensive road bikes weighed darn near 50 pounds!