Buying First Road Bike - Flite 300

etank

Nov 18, 2010
I am thinking of getting a road bike after years of riding a mountain bike. I used my mountain bike for mostly on the road and it was awful especially onl longer commute because it was so heavy.

Recently I saw an ad for a KHS Flite 300 - 2005 model, it was priced at 550 does anyone have any suggestions on what I should barter the price to and thoughts on the bike or concerns?

And thoughts on the chromoly frame oppose to carbon fiber? I am coming from a mountain bike so whatever it is either are much lighter than what I'm used to.

Thanks.

FWIW. For $550, I think you can do ([COLOR= #808080]much[/COLOR]) better IF you are living in the United States ...

BUT, it's might be a good price if you are living in ANZ, or other locales where the initial import tariff raises the cost of bikes by a significant amount.

If you are in the States, then I reckon that if it is near-mint condition, it might be worth about $200-to-$225 ... less, if the bike shows wear-and-tear ...

If you are in ANZ and the frame is YOUR size and the condition is very good, then $450-to-$550 is probably reasonable.

BTW. If you are in the United States, then for $550, you (generic, as in anyone) can re-fit almost any frame with better than average components which would normally be found on a $1800+ MSRP bike that you might buy at a bike shop.

Regardless, I'm a BIG FAN of steel framed bikes ... Double-Butted CroMo is better than straight gauge CroMo ... and, any CroMo is better than "gas pipe" tubing (i.e., seamed), but the frame's geometry is, IMO, more important than the frame's material-or-weight ...

• so, the KHS FLITE 300 is a bike I might consider if the frame size where right for me & the price were right ... but, at some point in the future I would be looking to change those Shimano Sora shifters to a pair of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters (non-Xenon-based ... i.e.,, non-QS) which I know that I can mate with the bike's current 8-speed Shimano drivetrain.

Why do I get the feeling that Alfeng owns stock in 10-speed Campagnolo shifters (non-Xenon-based ... i.e.,, non-QS) /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif? I agree with him though, except for being able to upgrade a bike with better than average components for $550.00. Maybe it is just our perceptions of what is better than average, and from where the OP would be getting these components. The best prices that I have found for components is eBay and many of the new or NOS components tend to be fairly expensive, and the condition of used parts is often difficult to judge by photographs and descriptions alone. Especially when they can be doctored so as to misrepresent the item.