Buying first unicycle

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by klaym, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. klaym

    klaym Guest

    Hello!
    I believe I'm not the first person to ask about this, but as I'm having
    problems finding a similar kind of title (the search gets me a ton of
    off-topic threads with 'first unicycle' and freezes when using quotes),
    I decided to give it a go. So: What model would you recommend for a
    beginner unicycle? I feel I should get a 24 inch cycle for I'm rather
    tall and I wish to use it just for some easy cruising. And if someone
    around here happens to be Finnish, I'd very much like to know if you've
    bought your unicycle from Finland? If you have, where? How much did it
    cost you? Did you buy it new or used? Thanks!

    Oh and btw, as you can see, this is my first post here, so let me
    introduce myself: I'm a 17-year old guy from Nokia, Finland. I study at
    Nokia senior high school and do jogging and IRCing. Hope to get to know
    you all better!

    --
    klaym
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837

  2. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    unicycle.com is the best place to get any unicycle. Try the 24 inch
    Torker, they make great beginner uni's.
    But if you're in Finland, you'd probably want to order from
    unicycle.uk.com since it's a bit closer.

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
    pizza, for it is, wicked."-
    --Thedan

  3. underdog

    underdog Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > *Try the 24 inch Torker, they make great beginner uni's.
    > *

    Welcome. I think you'll find that there are some really awesome people
    here on the forum. They've been very helpful and provided tons of
    encouragement while I was learning. I completely agree with the 24 inch
    Torker suggestion. I started on a bottom-of-the-line Torker 20 and just
    bought a Torker DX24. The level of quality is very good. I think this
    unicycle will last me a long while.

    --
    underdog - level 1 rider

    toast is god's way of saying 'eat more butter'
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  4. fleshflower

    fleshflower Guest

    There is also a Unicycle.com in Sweden. That is even closer to you than
    the UK.
    Go to www.unicycle.com, then click on the little Swedish flag.
    I myself never checked out the Swedish site, but if is anything like the
    others, it will be quite good.
    Good luck

    --
    fleshflower - Expert/Failure

    There are many ways to put air into your unicycle tire, but attempting
    to blow into it with your mouth and lungs is the hardest.--Abraham
    Lincoln
    fleshflower's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6632

  5. MuniTune

    MuniTune Guest

    I recommend a Torker 24" LX. You can find them on Ebay for about 75
    bucks. I saw one in a bike store the other day and was thoroughly
    impressed for the price.

    --
    MuniTune - Falls a Lot.

    R.
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773

  6. fleshflower

    fleshflower Guest

    Me again
    Actually, I just went there. Everything is written in Swedish. I have no
    idea of the difference between the Swedish language and the Finnish
    language, but perhaps it is close enough?
    Also, I had a comma "," after my link to unicycle.com that would lead
    nowhere. Here is the direct link to the Swedish website--at least the
    postage should be cheaper if you order from Sweden.
    Unicycle.Com in SWEDEN-- http://www.unicycle.se/
    Again, good luck!

    --
    fleshflower - Expert/Failure

    There are many ways to put air into your unicycle tire, but attempting
    to blow into it with your mouth and lungs is the hardest.--Abraham
    Lincoln
    fleshflower's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6632

  7. klaym

    klaym Guest

    Thank you all for your great replies!
    I checked the Torker LX and it seemed very good and fitted my budget.
    Unfortunately unicycle.se doesn't offer the model so I'll search Ebay. I
    checked the German Ebay site (ebay.de) and found lots of unicycles for
    sale at very low prices. There were no auctions for a Torker LX at the
    moment but I'll be checking it every once in a while.

    By the way, I can't remember a single time I've seen a unicycler here in
    Finland! I guess it just hasn't pushed it's way through just yet. And it
    might be that people relate unicycles to circuses, and are afraid to
    actually try one in the fear of being stamped as a clown. Skateboarding
    is a megatrend here, there are skateboarders on every corner.

    --
    klaym
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837

  8. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    klaym wrote:
    > *By the way, I can't remember a single time I've seen a unicycler here
    > in Finland! *

    Look in the member profiles for a dude named JOONA. He's from your neck
    of the woods.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  9. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    klaym wrote:
    > *By the way, I can't remember a single time I've seen a unicycler here
    > in Finland! *

    I saw a unicycle group from Finland when I was at a youth circus
    festival in Latvia in 1990. Nice people.

    Your choice of a 24" is a great size to start with. Then if you get more
    involved, you can branch out into a more specific model. Living in
    Nokia, if you get into MUni you'll have to get one with the "Nokian"
    Gazzalodi tire!

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "if you can do balloon animals,you can lace your own wheel." -- Jagur

  10. klaym

    klaym Guest

    Nokian tyres have long traditions here in Nokia city. It's actually the
    same company of which Nokia mobile phones diverged (is that a proper
    word? :p) decades ago.

    I've done some researching and it seems that Torkers are not sold (at
    least in the internet) in the Europe, or they are priced very high. The
    shipping and handling costs are very high when ordered from the USA, so
    I started looking for the other models. How about Torker's CX? Is it of
    any worth? Comparing to LX there are differences between the color and
    the seat, but both have the better kind of 'main cap' bearings. I'm a
    total newbie at this so I don't really know what else to look for when
    looking at the technical data. What do you think? Any experiences?
    Thanks!

    --
    klaym
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837

  11. klaym

    klaym Guest

    I read the previous threads about the CX model, and I got the image it's
    quite crap. If the saddle is bad then it's definately not worth buying.
    I'm now making the choice between a Schwinn and the Torker LX. I asked
    the local reseller to check how much it would cost to import one of them
    and he'll let me know on monday.

    --
    klaym
    klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837

  12. darchibald

    darchibald Guest

    A guy registered as noclowns', location says he's from Helsinki.

    David

    --
    darchibald - Unofficial level 4.5

    "Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
    suicide mount.
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  13. rusty

    rusty Guest

  14. klaym

    klaym Guest

    Yes, I've phoned every bike store within 50km from where I live, and in
    almost every case the answer is 'no, but we can order one for you'. Some
    stores have had unicycles for about 100 euros, and they've only had them
    in the size of 20". I tried one at a local shop. It was titled
    "Extreme", and it was 20" too. It felt good, but I'm still looking for
    the 24" size. I'm also curious if I can get a better brand for about 100
    euros.