Buying first unicycle

klaym

Guest
Hello!
I believe I'm not the first person to ask about this, but as I'm having
problems finding a similar kind of title (the search gets me a ton of
off-topic threads with 'first unicycle' and freezes when using quotes),
I decided to give it a go. So: What model would you recommend for a
beginner unicycle? I feel I should get a 24 inch cycle for I'm rather
tall and I wish to use it just for some easy cruising. And if someone
around here happens to be Finnish, I'd very much like to know if you've
bought your unicycle from Finland? If you have, where? How much did it
cost you? Did you buy it new or used? Thanks!

Oh and btw, as you can see, this is my first post here, so let me
introduce myself: I'm a 17-year old guy from Nokia, Finland. I study at
Nokia senior high school and do jogging and IRCing. Hope to get to know
you all better!

--
klaym
klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837

unicycle.com is the best place to get any unicycle. Try the 24 inch
Torker, they make great beginner uni's.
But if you're in Finland, you'd probably want to order from
unicycle.uk.com since it's a bit closer.

--
James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

-If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
pizza, for it is, wicked."-
--Thedan

James_Potter wrote:
> *Try the 24 inch Torker, they make great beginner uni's.
> *

Welcome. I think you'll find that there are some really awesome people
here on the forum. They've been very helpful and provided tons of
encouragement while I was learning. I completely agree with the 24 inch
Torker suggestion. I started on a bottom-of-the-line Torker 20 and just
bought a Torker DX24. The level of quality is very good. I think this
unicycle will last me a long while.

--
underdog - level 1 rider

toast is god's way of saying 'eat more butter'
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

There is also a Unicycle.com in Sweden. That is even closer to you than
the UK.
Go to www.unicycle.com, then click on the little Swedish flag.
I myself never checked out the Swedish site, but if is anything like the
others, it will be quite good.
Good luck

--
fleshflower - Expert/Failure

There are many ways to put air into your unicycle tire, but attempting
to blow into it with your mouth and lungs is the hardest.--Abraham
Lincoln
fleshflower's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6632

Me again
Actually, I just went there. Everything is written in Swedish. I have no
idea of the difference between the Swedish language and the Finnish
language, but perhaps it is close enough?
Also, I had a comma "," after my link to unicycle.com that would lead
nowhere. Here is the direct link to the Swedish website--at least the
postage should be cheaper if you order from Sweden.
Unicycle.Com in SWEDEN-- http://www.unicycle.se/
Again, good luck!

--
fleshflower - Expert/Failure

There are many ways to put air into your unicycle tire, but attempting
to blow into it with your mouth and lungs is the hardest.--Abraham
Lincoln
fleshflower's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6632

Thank you all for your great replies!
I checked the Torker LX and it seemed very good and fitted my budget.
Unfortunately unicycle.se doesn't offer the model so I'll search Ebay. I
checked the German Ebay site (ebay.de) and found lots of unicycles for
sale at very low prices. There were no auctions for a Torker LX at the
moment but I'll be checking it every once in a while.

By the way, I can't remember a single time I've seen a unicycler here in
Finland! I guess it just hasn't pushed it's way through just yet. And it
might be that people relate unicycles to circuses, and are afraid to
actually try one in the fear of being stamped as a clown. Skateboarding
is a megatrend here, there are skateboarders on every corner.

--

klaym wrote:
> *By the way, I can't remember a single time I've seen a unicycler here
> in Finland! *

Look in the member profiles for a dude named JOONA. He's from your neck
of the woods.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

klaym wrote:
> *By the way, I can't remember a single time I've seen a unicycler here
> in Finland! *

I saw a unicycle group from Finland when I was at a youth circus
festival in Latvia in 1990. Nice people.

Your choice of a 24" is a great size to start with. Then if you get more
involved, you can branch out into a more specific model. Living in
Nokia, if you get into MUni you'll have to get one with the "Nokian"
Gazzalodi tire!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"if you can do balloon animals,you can lace your own wheel." -- Jagur

Nokian tyres have long traditions here in Nokia city. It's actually the
same company of which Nokia mobile phones diverged (is that a proper
word? :p) decades ago.

I've done some researching and it seems that Torkers are not sold (at
least in the internet) in the Europe, or they are priced very high. The
shipping and handling costs are very high when ordered from the USA, so
I started looking for the other models. How about Torker's CX? Is it of
any worth? Comparing to LX there are differences between the color and
the seat, but both have the better kind of 'main cap' bearings. I'm a
total newbie at this so I don't really know what else to look for when
looking at the technical data. What do you think? Any experiences?
Thanks!

--
klaym
klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837

I read the previous threads about the CX model, and I got the image it's
quite ****. If the saddle is bad then it's definately not worth buying.
I'm now making the choice between a Schwinn and the Torker LX. I asked
the local reseller to check how much it would cost to import one of them
and he'll let me know on monday.

--
klaym
klaym's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6837

Yes, I've phoned every bike store within 50km from where I live, and in
almost every case the answer is 'no, but we can order one for you'. Some
stores have had unicycles for about 100 euros, and they've only had them
in the size of 20". I tried one at a local shop. It was titled
"Extreme", and it was 20" too. It felt good, but I'm still looking for
the 24" size. I'm also curious if I can get a better brand for about 100
euros.